Options that are not on the list - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-26-2014, 03:50 PM   #61
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I spoke with a Wilson support tech on the phone and was advised the gain curve was 3.5 db at the ATT 700-750 frequency range. The antenna is tuned for more gain at 800, but will still work at other frequencies.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #62

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Go into a store and ask to see the LTE map- especially for AT&T. Deployed primarily in the metro areas(where it pays), not where we normally camp. Some exceptions to that of course, like in the Ventana Wilderness area adjacent to Ft. Hunter Liggett. Those instances are rare though, so all this exercise in antennas etc, for 4G and especially LTE are not going to benefit one like a commuter in the city with hills & cell sites maxed out from capacity.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:43 PM   #63

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Options not on list: I may have missed it in earlier postings but I had my back cushions on the larger dinette cut down by (I believe) two inches to eliminate the "bent" cushion going around the curved wall; there was no charge for this. I fill in with pillows all around the curve and on the back wall.

Edited: Before anyone jumps all over this, yes, one loses two inches off the cushion--but if the bed is made up, it's only one inch per side which I figure would not be noticeable at all.
Attached Thumbnails
Egbert-004.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:58 PM   #64
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I added the lights on the other three sides of our trailer, and don't think I have used them more than once or twice. I just have not found reason for them, but my only outside access panel is on the passenger side, and we do use the porch light a bit. I could see one under the bed on a 5.0, for sure.

If parking in the dark, I have actually never even though of the light back there, as the taillights are very bright and have provided all the light one needs.

But, like all the options, it really can't hurt naught but the pocket book to do them.
Jim has a valid point about the bright tail lights. I didn't get the rear LED for use to back into a site at night. As a single traveler, I was considering it as a security measure. Being able to light up the trailer all the way around by turning on two switches inside, is important to me. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:32 PM   #65
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Jim has a valid point about the bright tail lights. I didn't get the rear LED for use to back into a site at night. As a single traveler, I was considering it as a security measure. Being able to light up the trailer all the way around by turning on two switches inside, is important to me. YMMV
Good thought, particularly if in bear country! Wonder what a potential evil doer would think about scanning laser beams painting the ground around the camper. That would fit the Ten Forward motif..........

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-26-2014, 08:18 PM   #66
Site Team

or maybe those dang pesky racoons looking for food!

I'm not certain if Dan A., posted on the EscapeForum where he lost his expensive bicycle off the rack on the back of his 19' while in a campground. But, can you imagine the shock to the evil doer, if that rear LED light suddenly LITE HIM/HER UP?
Old 08-26-2014, 10:07 PM   #67
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
As to the antenna,I have no problems with 4G Verizon using the antenna with the Sleek. I have the adapter to plug it directly into the hotspot, but was not impressed with the result. Antenna gain alone = 3db; with the antenna and Sleek gain = as much as 23db...
Excellent! That is what I needed to know. So, the Sleek cradle gets the antenna lead, and the MiFi sits in the sleek. Thanks very much Jon.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:05 PM   #68

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I did something similar, in that I had two "porch lights" put on the driver's side and one each on the front and back. (Pre-LED) The one thing that I did not do at the time was request that the lights have individual on/off switches to avoid disturbing nearby nice neighbors. I have since changed out the two passenger side lights and can turn one or both off as needed. I have two interior switches: one for the traditional porch light and one for the peripheral ones. It is a security measure for me too.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:25 PM   #69
Site Team

Yes, security is important as a single female traveler. I don't leave my lights on all night, just if I feel the "need," like someone knocks on the door and it's dark outside.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:46 PM   #70

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
"Scare" lights make sense to me, if used properly. As Donna said, they are not left on, only used briefly as required. Work lights at the locations of service points also make sense, since sometimes it's not convenient to hold a flashlight. One lamp for both purposes seems sensible to me.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #71

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
these are nice Amazon.com: Starlights SL-1000 Smart Light 1000 12-volt Exterior Motion Light, White: Automotive
I have thought about replacing the factory ones with these.
Attached Thumbnails
81-+1CtkDzL._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 08-27-2014, 10:37 PM   #72

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
Motion lights would be excellent!
Old 08-27-2014, 10:44 PM   #73

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
Except when they keep turning on.

When it is dark out, I prefer to keep it that way. Most of the people we camp with scorn lights being on, other that the light of the campfire, or the stars above. Well, maybe a bit of headlamp light when walking in the dark.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #74

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I'd place motion detecting lights in the same category as generators. You never run them at night, only during the day and for as short a time as possible.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #75
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Except when they keep turning on.

When it is dark out, I prefer to keep it that way. Most of the people we camp with scorn lights being on, other that the light of the campfire, or the stars above. Well, maybe a bit of headlamp light when walking in the dark.
You got that right. If I want light pollution I can get that at home.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:46 PM   #76
Commercial Member

Another vote against motion lights here.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 AM   #77

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
I agree.

They would go on when someone comes close and stay on for only a short time. Also, the range is sometimes adjustable. Great for security. Would like a couple and particularly near the front for our use at night when walking between tongue and TV and for use of the box.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:13 AM   #78

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and,,,, these can be turned off manually inside or via an installed switch, like the ETI stock ones.
Old 08-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #79

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We do have friends that have two patio lights, the one is a regular one, that works as a task light, and one with an orange/yellow glow that is quite dim. Just enough to see where it is in the dark, and see your step, and does not glare at people. Still, rare is the time that the starlight does not give more than enough light to see by.

Lights for security is not the slightest concern for me. All the campers I have met are really great people, in my books.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 08:36 AM   #80

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I do not understand the attraction or value of having motion detector activated lighting on a camper trailer. IMHO, they are really good at pi$$ing off your neighbors who are constantly being subjected to your lights going on and off at night each time a dog, cat, squirrel, rabbit, skunk, raccoon, bear, deer or kangaroo runs past your camper. I love to have wildlife walking through my campsites, and see no reason to try to scare it away with lighting. As for the 2 legged wildlife, I have not once in my many years of camping felt in any danger from anyone when I have been camping. And if there are some 2 legged creatures walking around where I am camping at night wanting to get into trouble, I seriously doubt that a flashing porch light is going to be much of a deterrent.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote