Our visit to Chilliwack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Our visit to Chilliwack

We ordered our 19' in October and have been working on our build sheet, as all Escape buyers must do. We continue to have many questions and got a lot of answers from ETI and this forum. However, it is always a good thing to see the factory in person and meet the people you are giving your money.
So, that opportunity occurred over Christmas. Our kids live in Seattle area (Snoqualmie) and we had tickets to visit from Dec. 22 to Dec. 29. So, we planned to visit Chilliwack and visit ETI. We spoke with Tammi and arranged to visit on Dec. 27.
We borrowed our daughter's Civic and drove the 3 hours to Chilliwack. Actually, it is about 2.5 hours, but we waited about 30 minutes to get through the border at Sumas, WA. I don't know if that is standard wait time or the holidays made it busier.
We meet Tammi, Reece, Erin and Sarah. Everyone was very nice and they were quite busy. They finally got possession of the building in front of their building and were working to get it cleaned out and converted for their use. Their schedule is about a month behind due to delays in getting possession. Also, since the factory is having work done, we could not take a tour of the build area. Bummer.
Anyway, we got all of our final questions answered. Mainly these were about wiring, extra 12v drops, and running some CAT5 cable I brought to hook to a battery monitor I want to install at a later date.
We also dropped off our fabric and a Springfield pedestal we want installed in our U-shaped dinette. The hand delivery saved some shipping expense.
So we finalized our build sheet and were ready to sign off but Tammi said to wait a bit and let it sink in. Two late additions were upgrading to the frameless windows and insulation and the external propane tap. We have a propane firepit at home and through this forum realized they make portable firepits for RVs. Both of these were due to information and opinions from the forum.
It was an enjoyable and informative visit and we now must wait. Our formal delivery is October, 2017, but Tammi was hopeful things will move up when they get their expansion complete.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Glad to hear you had a good visit, and to hear they finally got into that front building.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Good news! Congratulations!
Now you made us all curious what your build sheet looks like....
Old 12-30-2016, 06:26 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 (One Life...Live It)
Glad you had a good visit, lots to think about. You must be excited with getting your decisions finalized and questions answered. Good luck
Fun&Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:01 PM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
... We borrowed our daughter's Civic and drove the 3 hours to Chilliwack. Actually, it is about 2.5 hours, but we waited about 30 minutes to get through the border at Sumas, WA. I don't know if that is standard wait time or the holidays made it busier. ...
I usually have to wait about 10 mins to cross over, so it was busier than usual. Last time I went through, on Black Friday, it was less than 5 mins, including the time to talk to the customs agent. Sweet!

Congrats on getting that all taken care of.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:17 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 "LollyPop" June 12, 2017, sold Coleman pop up
We also had a great visit when we got to go the Chilliwack in late July. It was very helpful to see things and get to meet the ETI folks and talk in person. A new Escape trailer could be ordered and delivered without ever going to the factory, but a visit is enjoyable and greatly facilitates the process. Glad we got to go, and looking forward to returning to pick up the trailer in a few months!
casejh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 07:21 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 19'
We placed the order without seeing one in person and did the same thing you did over Thanksgiving week. It was a very informative trip for sure.

It took us 5 min to cross at Sumas (one car in front) that was Tuesday during Thanksgiving week, so I am guessing the 30 min wait is just busy...
caddoster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
That trip was well worth while and one of the best parts is meeting Tammy and Reace. By seeing so much, it helps getting things right on you trailer. It was one of the better things we did. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2016, 03:00 PM   #9

Sorry on the typo, Reace.
Our build sheet is pretty standard. Running gear, hitch and wheels are stock.
SS 2 burner cooktop, rotated 90 degrees.
Standard fridge plus microwave.
Added the Jack antenna and TV bracket. (Tammi said the new option sheet does not have the King. Only cable ready or Jack are options)
Added radio and dvd player. It is mounted under the driver side overhead storage by the fridge and TV mount. I asked about wiring and it is connected to the TV by loose video cable. Sound comes through speakers.
AC, of course, as we live in Missouri.
Struggled on windows, didn't want to keep raising the price. But forum members and Tammi convinced me it was a good move. Less noise and no condensation on the inside frames. (BTW, ETI has removed the thermal, framed windows from their options. )
Also added the extra windows in kitchen and bath.
Added some 12v drops in the overheads, just in case.
Added a 12v drop in the rear overhead, connected to the trailer running lights. I plan to add a backup camera. (I have it already, bought on ebay, wireless to a 4.3 monitor. )
We are having a u-shaped dinette. I bought and delivered the Springfield pedestal. ETI wants to raise the floor 3 inches because of this but I do not want that. I requested a flat floor. I will deal with the table height, if necessary. Others on this forum say it works fine, as is.
We added a drawer and the side door to the front storage area.
We have dual 6v batteries and the storage box. I added a propane tap to feed a fire pit. I prefer to charcoal grill.
Formica is Basalt Slate, with black trim. It is blackish with some light gray streaks. Others have used it.
Floor is standard.
Fabric was the most difficult. Started with over 20+ samples. Narrowed it done to two.
And this one.

We picked the second one since my wife said it was more cheerful.
Old 12-31-2016, 03:12 PM   #10

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
We picked the second one since my wife said it was more cheerful.
Between those two, yep, she's right!

And lots of colors to pick from for pillows to toss on the dinette.

Have fun!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:13 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
You are going to get yourselves a beautiful designed trailer! Awesome build sheet (still wondering if you get the insulation...). And the fabric? YES!!!!! Love it!
Old 12-31-2016, 06:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Congrats on your new purchase. Hopefully, you can get it sooner!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:43 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Crossing the border

When you crossed the border with stuff for the Escape; what did you tell the custom's official? We are planning on bringing the upholstery material with us on our visit to ETI late Feb.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:51 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
When you crossed the border with stuff for the Escape; what did you tell the custom's official? We are planning on bringing the upholstery material with us on our visit to ETI late Feb.
Tell them just that. Fabric is not contraband here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Tell them just that. Fabric is not contraband here.
It's what you have rolled up inside the fabric that matters!
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 03:35 PM   #16

They did ask if I was bringing in any cash so I said 'no'. I said we were visiting Chilliwack for a few hours to see Escape. Don't ask, don't tell.
Old 01-03-2017, 05:45 PM   #17

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
They did ask if I was bringing in any cash so I said 'no'. I said we were visiting Chilliwack for a few hours to see Escape. Don't ask, don't tell.
They ask, you don't tell isn't a great policy for the border. Far better to be up front, do any paperwork required and be free and clear. Like upholstery, cash isn't illegal.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #18

Quote:
When I crossed over with all my goodies I was giving ETI for the trailer, I brought receipts of everything, including a spreadsheet print out that listed everything, with a grand total. This was what one of the agents had told me to do.

When I pulled up I interrupted the gal from her magazine reading. She wasn't even interested in looking at the print out or the receipts. She just wanted to know the total value, roughly what I was bringing and then she asked why I wasn't sticking with what the trailer came with (when I told her about the custom upholstery). When I told her I didn't like their choice at all, she laughed and I went on my merry way.
Old 01-03-2017, 06:56 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
When we crossed over last week we had a Springfield pedestal in the back. I told the Agent about it, and said I was bringing it up to put in our trailer that would be coming back through Customs in April. No problem.

Gary
garysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Most stuff is covered under North American Free Trade Agreement ( NAFTA ). And, that's all I have to say about that.