Pedestal that drops down for bed setup - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2016, 08:10 AM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I have a 19' on order and was told by ETI that with the Springfield pedestal, they raise the floor 3" to provide more clearance for seating. I gather the pedestal does not rise high enough.
I don't like the idea of a step in the floor. I am pondering some extension that allows the flat floor with the Springfield.
Old 11-29-2016, 08:45 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrandenstein View Post
I have a 19' on order and was told by ETI that with the Springfield pedestal, they raise the floor 3" to provide more clearance for seating. I gather the pedestal does not rise high enough.
I don't like the idea of a step in the floor. I am pondering some extension that allows the flat floor with the Springfield.
I can't comment on the 19' as I have no info

But on the 2017 21' there was a slight design change and there HAS to be a slightly raised dinette floor. It is now mandatory. Reace said something about clearances on something.

The SPRINGFIELD pedistal will work well with the ETI slide, on a 2017 21', from what I could determine.

I can report back next year.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 11:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
I'm in the process of building just such an extension. I have access to welders and scrap stainless steel at work. 2-1/2" schedule 10 stainless pipe matches the O.D. of the pedestal perfectly. I cut a short piece of pipe and two pieces of flat plate for end caps. I've drilled some holes and welded on nuts on to match the bolt pattern where the top mounts to the pedestal. I can try to post some more detailed pictures later.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2394.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	20319
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 12:17 AM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I don't quite get them telling you that the Springfield pedestal isn't high enough without a raised dinette floor. When they raise the floor, they also raise the benches, at least they did with our 19. If they didn't, the benches would be to low/the table would be too high. The Springfield pedestal should work whether the floor raised or not. The height relationship between the table and benches is the same when the floor is raised.

Now, in the 2017 models, there may very well be structural reasons for raising the dinette floor. But, that was the point of the raised dinette option when we added it to our 19 - - to raise the benches for a better view out the windows.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:30 AM   #25

The new 19' normally has a flat floor in the dinette area. However, ETI stated that the Springfield pedestal is too short so they have to raise the floor 3 inches. The enclosed picture of a similar configuration looks like they just raise the floor but not the benches.
If so, then Jim's extension is the answer. Maybe you should make a few and sell them.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1330.jpg  
Old 11-30-2016, 10:40 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
The new 19' normally has a flat floor in the dinette area. However, ETI stated that the Springfield pedestal is too short so they have to raise the floor 3 inches. The enclosed picture of a similar configuration looks like they just raise the floor but not the benches.
If so, then Jim's extension is the answer. Maybe you should make a few and sell them.
I think the raised floor is the answer, as otherwise the seats are higher than what is conventional used, which is 18" to the top. While I do understand an initial concern for the change in floor height, I really don't think it will be that big of deal in practise. All the 21s and 5.0s will have this built into the moulds.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:41 AM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Good picture to illustrate my concern that the pedestal itself is very stout, reducing room for the feet when used as a table. And the 17 is four inches narrower than the 19 ( shown ).
Old 11-30-2016, 10:50 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Had a 17B with the two stock poles- what a PITA to convert to a bed- especially with the standard dinette table size. If you go to the Springfield you have one center pneumatic pole that is functionally superior. Ying/yang. If I still had that trailer I wouldn't hesitate to install the Springfield pedestal.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:56 AM   #29

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Good picture to illustrate my concern that the pedestal itself is very stout, reducing room for the feet when used as a table. And the 17 is four inches narrower than the 19 ( shown ).
It is only 4" in diameter, so would take up less space that the two stock posts, though I am not certain of their diameter. Plus with four sitting there, they could have their feet on either side.

It is much smaller than the Dicor I originally had, that's for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:36 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Go back to my post before this one. The photo you posted is in my trailer. The benches are raised the same amount as the floor. Again, the height relationship between the benches and the table is unchanged with our raised dinette - - it just means you sit about 4" higher, and have a better view. All of that may have changed for 2017, but it's no issue with our raised dinette and the Springfield.
Old 12-01-2016, 04:51 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
We’re considering using a Springfield Table Pedestal with the standard ETI slide in our 2017 21'. The Springfield website [] shows that model (166023_) has two lower height adjustments of either 12 3/4" or 14" depending on the finish. ETI told me the rails in which the table top needs to rest on to make a bed is at 14”, did those of you who installed a Springfield pedestal use the 12 3/4" height to allow for the table slide thickness?
garysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 05:55 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
You are looking at a different pedestal; look at this one:

Springfield 3-Stage Air-Powered Table Pedestal

Edit: see post #3 which shows the same item and mentions that Overton's frequently has discount codes to make the price lower. We have this item and it works great.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:21 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
I've seen a few posts regarding raising the floor to accommodate the Springfield pedestal. This is what ETI sent to me yesterday:

"...regarding the Springfield pedestal in your 19' . Yes, the Springfield pedestal will work in the 19', you do not have to raise anything, and this will also work with the U-Shaped Dinette configuration."
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:27 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
You are looking at a different pedestal; look at this one:

Springfield 3-Stage Air-Powered Table Pedestal

Edit: see post #3 which shows the same item and mentions that Overton's frequently has discount codes to make the price lower. We have this item and it works great.
Thanks, Rossue, just what I needed to know! Now I can order it and get one more item checked off our build list.
garysd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 07:33 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
I've seen a few posts regarding raising the floor to accommodate the Springfield pedestal. This is what ETI sent to me yesterday:

"...regarding the Springfield pedestal in your 19' . Yes, the Springfield pedestal will work in the 19', you do not have to raise anything, and this will also work with the U-Shaped Dinette configuration."
Just as I and others have done. Don't need any mods to the pedestal.
Old 12-01-2016, 08:18 PM   #36

Thanks for the clarification. It kinda looks like only the floor is raised. So, if the delta between your floor and seat is the standard dimension, the statement from ETI that they need to raise the floor 3" doesn't hold water.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:21 PM   #37

Trailer: 2023 21NE "Hardley II" 2021 Toyota Tacoma (Diesel Jeep stranded us twice so it had to go)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post

This makes sense and I hope it is correct.
The reason I built my extension piece is because while going over our build sheet with Sarah she said that they (ETI) strongly suggested raising the floor if we were going to use the Springfield pedestal. She said people found the distance from the bench to the table top to be too short with the Springfield.
We don't want the raised floor, so I found my own solution. It was easy to make and cost me about $1 in hardware so if we don't need it, no real harm done. If we do want it it's already built.
Jimrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:41 PM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrules View Post
.... people found the distance from the bench to the table top to be too short with the Springfield.
Yeah, I don't get that. The pedestal is 31 inches above the floor when fully extended. When seated, the table is at a similar height to the stock poles and sockets. We had the poles and sockets, and installed the Springfield afterwards. No noticeable difference in the table height.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #39

Trailer: 5.0 TA hatched April 2017
adjustable table pedestal

Anyone have any experience with the Marine Teak
Removable Table Pedestal with Locking System - Adjustable Height

I like the fact that it has no footprint on the deck once removed. But I don't know if it will come up high enough or how stable it is. I do like the price.
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:53 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
Anyone have any experience with the Marine Teak
Removable Table Pedestal with Locking System - Adjustable Height

I like the fact that it has no footprint on the deck once removed. But I don't know if it will come up high enough or how stable it is. I do like the price.
I found a website for Marine Teak, in the UK. Assuming that's the one you're referring to. Do you have a link to the product?