Port Townsend, WA welcomes a 21'! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Port Townsend, WA welcomes a 21'!

We just finalized our 21’ build sheet last week for a Jan 2016 pick-up date. Yay! Thanks to everyone on the forum for their excellent and helpful ideas. We look forward to our trip to the SW again in January. For those interested, here are our options we chose :

• 2-way hot water tank
• 2-burner S/S Stove/Range hood… (We changed our mind about the 3-burner even though the two small burners would nicely accommodate a griddle. We decided that we can use our camp stove for a griddle)
• Rotated stove 90% for add’l counter space (can’t have enough…! Thanks, Donna!)
• Sink: We provided a S/S hammered bar sink and one-hole single handle faucet. Didn’t want water on the counter like in our Casita.
• Add’l Outlets: Exterior 12v outlet, 12v/USB driver side over bed, 12v/USB driver side dinette by TV ready, 120v end of kitchen counter.
• Dual 6v batteries
• Inverter 1500w incl transfer switch all outlets (I am a ‘lucky’ CPAP user so we wanted the amps)
• 150w solar panel (We may also continue to carry our portable 90w for times when we have no sun. We live in the Pac NW, you know!!
• Opening window in bathroom (We feel this should be standard on all Escapes)
• Extra insulation & thermal windows (For heat/cold retention and mainly for sound dampening)
• 2 LED captains reading lights over dinette corners. At our age, we need all the light we can get…
• 1 Additional exterior light LED light FRONT over storage box. Decided not to put one in the rear, as that is where the name will go.
• A/C w/digital thermostat
• 4 Aluminum rims (Not in our budget, BUT, well, couldn’t resist. It sure dresses it up)
• 1 additional single dome light over drawer stack (Toto, thanks for the idea!)
• E2 by FastWay sway control/WD hitch
• Pre-wire stereo (We are looking at a Jensen Sirius ready/USB/Bluetooth, DVD, etc. radio)
• Jack TV Antenna w/120v over dinette forward
• Exterior hatch rear drivers side
• Exterior shower (We like to bring our ‘shower tent’ for showering outside in warm weather)
• Additional cabinet door under bed by shower door for convenient shoe storage
• Foot flush toilet
• Fabric: Duramax in Academy blue (This is in lieu of Sunbrella that we were so used to on our sailboat. Has a nice heavier woven texture, very durable, and was recommended by a marine upholsterer. Would be nice to have the foam wrapped with fiberfill to make the cushions softer, but this was not an option)
• Storage cubby (Love this)
• Storage box front trailer (Love this, too)
• Custom formica - Seagrass Strand w/off white trim
• 12” filler piece and cushion in Duramax
• Convert bench seat to U-shape
• Graphic Color: Spectra Red

The old conundrum about the table still remains. We are considering the telescoping table base, but will not have ETI install the table. We will most likely stay with the lounge set-up until we decide. We usually always eat outside in the SW anyway.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:01 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Carla Jean, you and Ned are going to love this trailer. It sounds wonderful. We are heading to the Southwest this winter spring for a bit and maybe we will run into you again down there.

best

Leon
Old 10-27-2015, 08:24 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Sounds (and reads) absolutely wonderful. I wish you many, many terrific memories in your Escape... and you know you'll be obligated to share camping stories and photos
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Carla n Ned,
That's a nice build sheet. It is so good when it is signed and behind you. We never looked at ours again once we turned it in or we probably would have taken a change charge.

The time will fly by for you now.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
... and January will arrive in about, oh, 15 minutes. Congratulations!
Old 10-27-2015, 09:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Congrats on your 21! Always a great joy to start camping in one of these trailers.

There is a really cool "bench" on the Morro Bay Embarcadero that was done by the Langley Foundry In Port Townsend. Looks live a Chevy truck seat with some accouterments- all metal.

Anyway, my $.02 looking at the build list is to ask:

Any flip up tables? We got 3, and may get a 4th at the dresser.
How about light switches at the door? Like the ability to turn on inside & outside there.
In retrospect would buy a 5th alloy rim, and will when we go up next Spring.

Like your idea of a camp stove instead of 3rd burner; we recently bought a Camp Chef MVP and also bought the $20 rack that lets you put pot & pans on it....that's what we primarily use it for now.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 10:02 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Great list for your land yacht, Carla Jean. You know very well what you want from your Casita so that makes it all especially good.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #8

Thanks to all for your good wishes! I forgot to add to our option list above four flip-ups: two at dinette area, one at end of kitchen counter, and one at drawer stack. Also, three light switches inside door: one for interior, porch, front. (Thanks Rossue for catching that!). And Donna, I promise photos...!
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 10-28-2015, 11:18 AM   #9

Oh, and one more thing: Declined the microwave in lieu of our Breville mini oven. It will fit in the microwave space with 1/2" to spare in height. We will only use it on the counter because of the space needed as it gets hot on top. But they are great little ovens for pizza, toast, roasts, casseroles, etc. Didn't want to use up storage space for a regular oven.

In our Casita (which we recently sold in TWO hours), we loved our little 12v Road Pro trucker's oven. It looks like a lunch box. In it, I have baked brownies, potatoes, meat loaf, etc., and they were delicious! Also, nice to plug it in outside.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 10-28-2015, 04:18 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
Congratulations Carla Jean and Ned! Great Build Sheet and drpaddle is right, about 15 minutes!!! It goes by SO quickly.
And thanks for the lead on the 12V Road Pro oven -- looks like exactly what I need (didn't realize how much I would like to have an oven) and just put it in my cart on amazon!
Old 10-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #11

Glad you ordered a Road Pro oven. You know, those truckers know all about 12v appliances. They even have a small 12v crock pot. Put the food in the pot, turn it on, and dinner is ready when they arrive. And Bob's your Uncle...as they say.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 10-28-2015, 05:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B - 2009 Chevy Tahoe Hybrid
SO funny you say "Bob's your Uncle." I had never heard that expression until visiting Dave (17B owner) in B.C. last week.

Excited about getting the Road Pro. Thanks again! Have to check out the crock pot. Another priority is a 12V flat iron. Never wore that much makeup but have given it up and it feels great but though I like curly for others, have to keep mine straight!
Old 10-28-2015, 05:42 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If the Road Pro oven only goes up to 300 degrees F, it is already, more or less, a crock pot. You won't get crisp fries.
Old 10-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #14

My focus with the Road Pro oven was to bake potatoes, which it did beautifully. I sliced them thin first, a little butter on top, and 45-50 min later, voilá. Just an inexpensive way to bake small items of food when the stovetop won't do. And takes up hardly any storage space. I also bought cookie dough in a tube and made cookies.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 10-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla Jean View Post
I also bought cookie dough in a tube and made cookies.
Mom?!?! Is that you??
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:37 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I hadn't heard of the Road Pro before, so looked it up. Other than the advantage of heating while on the road, how is it beneficial over a stove top or BBQ method of heating and cooking? I ask, as it does not sound like an oven for baking things, more for just warming up.

What I had planned to get, was a stove top oven. Lots of different brands out there.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 06:45 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
I also bought cookie dough in a tube and made cookies.
Now you have my attention.
Old 10-29-2015, 12:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I hadn't heard of the Road Pro before, so looked it up. Other than the advantage of heating while on the road, how is it beneficial over a stove top or BBQ method of heating and cooking? I ask, as it does not sound like an oven for baking things, more for just warming up.

What I had planned to get, was a stove top oven. Lots of different brands out there.
Sometimes I just don't feel like cooking over a stove and Ned is barbecuing something, so I just put a big sliced potato in, butter on top, cook for 50+ min. (Maybe longer, can't recall). I know it only heats up to 300, but it works. Yes, there are many ways of cooking, but this worked for us in the Casita.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Old 10-29-2015, 07:47 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Sometimes I just don't feel like cooking over a stove and Ned is barbecuing something, so I just put a big sliced potato in, butter on top, cook for 50+ min. (Maybe longer, can't recall). I know it only heats up to 300, but it works. Yes, there are many ways of cooking, but this worked for us in the Casita.
Gotcha. So many ways of cooking up good food, and as long as we are getting good eats, all is good.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote