Possibly purchasing a 2004 17b Escape - what should I look for? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 04-07-2021, 02:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean View Post
Isn't close to $15,000 high for a 2004 17B? I have a 2011 17B that's had upgrades and thought I'd sell in a few years for $18,000...am I pricing too low?
I didn’t know, but thought this would be a good place to find out . I would certainly prefer a newer one but there aren’t many out there to choose from. I also don’t know if it is going to be for sale after all
harvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 02:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 "Bubbles"
Price

I got 20,000 cad three years ago for my 2006 in pristine condition.
grantpallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:23 AM   #23

Trailer: 2007 17b
17b is at a premium. Perfect size and has everything the house does just smaller.
Look at the price of Reno'd trillium 13's on cl. I think there is a '78 on there for 18k and its smaller,older and without hot water,bathroom, etc.
Bought ours three years ago this may and for the memories we have had, I would have paid three times what I did.

Buy it, quickly
Toddybegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:09 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddybegood View Post
17b is at a premium. Perfect size and has everything the house does just smaller.
Look at the price of Reno'd trillium 13's on cl. I think there is a '78 on there for 18k and its smaller,older and without hot water,bathroom, etc.
Bought ours three years ago this may and for the memories we have had, I would have paid three times what I did.

Buy it, quickly
Ok!
I just wanted to make sure that I found out about any issues that might cost a lot of money. I think they are going to ask 15k and I think it is a 2004. It has an AC unit above the fridge and doesn't have the bunk option. But I am going to build a top bunk, already have some ideas. I don't know if it is in pristine condition though, although it looks bright and sweet inside. I like that there can be two dining areas, we can be at one and the kids at the other at some point, or if the kids are sleeping on the bunks or on the double bed, we could be at a table if we need/want. I don't know the details, such as does the fridge work, does the ac work, does the propane work ok and are there any issues with the bathroom. Someone kind of mentioned (who doesn't own it) that you have to light the pilot for the propane to work rather than a switch or something. But this same person also told me there wasn't AC! (maybe it doesn't work).
Old 04-08-2021, 10:23 AM   #25

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I had an 05 17B and outside of the normal maintenance catch-up I had to do, it was a pretty solid trailer. Gel coat was fairly chalked, and I got it polished up pretty good, but at that age they don’t come back 100%.
My only big issue, was the fiberglass layup was pretty thin and there were quite a few areas of stress cracks. Some had been repaired over the years and about 7 still needed repair on the roof. So inspect the gel coat really well.
I had to replace the front windscreen insert as well which several have had to do on here with the older 17’s. Wasn't expensive or difficult.
All the appliances were original and always worked well. Seems the older appliances were much better than current ones.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:29 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I had an 05 17B and outside of the normal maintenance catch-up I had to do, it was a pretty solid trailer. Gel coat was fairly chalked, and I got it polished up pretty good, but at that age they don’t come back 100%.
My only big issue, was the fiberglass layup was pretty thin and there were quite a few areas of stress cracks. Some had been repaired over the years and about 7 still needed repair on the roof. So inspect the gel coat really well.
I had to replace the front windscreen insert as well which several have had to do on here with the older 17’s. Wasn't expensive or difficult.
All the appliances were original and always worked well. Seems the older appliances were much better than current ones.
Good to know. I will look up images of what that looks like! Is it a big issue or mainly cosmetic. I have some pictures of the interior but not of the exterior.
Old 04-08-2021, 10:48 AM   #27

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Mainly cosmetic, but if kept waxed and ultimately repaired it won’t progress. I certainly wouldn’t fear stress cracking on older trailers, but I’d factor it in. Older Scamps usually have it quite a bit around the rivets and screws.
On our 17B it looked like someone walked on the roof which is a no no. But also on the sides where it had been pressed in. The sides had been repaired, roof still needed some work.
May be fine and not have any, but something to be aware of when looking at older trailers.
Example: https://www.google.com/search?q=spid...5jup7oEodk65sM
Can be varying levels and sizes. When early you almost can’t see them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 11:25 AM   #28

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
I have a 2008 17B. Unique in that it does not have a shower and sink but it does have a toilet. The A/C above the fridge was optional and is reportedly noisy, just a pop in window type I believe. Check for soft spots or for an uneven floor, this may indicate water damage. At that age, there could be a need for maintenance or repair of the fridge, heater, and hot water heater if you have one. I bought ours used, it had been used hard but it is still going strong. Fridge will eventually have to be replaced, I added in a hot water heater which it did not have. I have replaced the tires, had an alignment done. Upgraded the tires to 15" from 14". Mine does have the bunk option. If you do go ahead with this purchase, I can send you pictures and measurements of the gaucho bunk as installed.
The value of thee trailers has been going up. Don't recall seeing anything less than $15K recently.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote