Power draw of components? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-09-2021, 04:19 PM   #1

Trailer: 2022 19 escape
Power draw of components?

We reserved a 19 due in November. I've been trying to figure out battery/solar/component options for it. While the upgrades page lists various upgrades what I'm wondering is if anyone knows a resource that lists out the power draw of those items. Trying to figure out for example if the compressor fridge will run fine off my battery and solar selection if I boondock 2 days, or the microwave, etc.
Wookmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 04:34 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The refer is a 3 way and propane is the most efficient way to use. Using 12v battery power is so inefficient vs propane that in reality it should not be an option, just my $.02 worth today.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:27 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The refer is a 3 way and propane is the most efficient way to use. Using 12v battery power is so inefficient vs propane that in reality it should not be an option, just my $.02 worth today.
Efficiency is the ratio of work done to energy input. Compressor refrigerators are more efficient than absorption refrigerators.

The problem is that in a trailer not connected to services, electrical energy is in a lot shorter supply (the battery charge) than the energy in the propane tank; efficiency is not the issue, but the source of energy is. So yeah, while not on services enough propane to run an absorption refrigerator is more available than enough electricity to run a compressor refrigerator.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #4

Trailer: Considering a Fiberglass Egg
Helpful resources

I just went to my bank of notes I've been collecting. Some of these websites might be helpful to you as well.

1. Starting with if you want to totally nerd-out. This post goes through everything you need to determine your battery requirements based on your specific setup and expected uses. Beware: you must be comfortable with spreadsheets, but he's got tons of examples. https://www.explorist.life/what-size...ower-a-camper/
[lots of great articles on his website for DIY solar stuff, but this power audit is helpful to determine what you need even if you are paying ETI or a solar consultant to finish the work]

2. Go Power has a list of general, non-specific estimates for different products (YMMV) https://gpelectric.com/all-about-inverters/
[focus is on 120v stuff, so you'll still need to add in the other DC appliances to work out battery capacity needs]

3. Helpful video on how much an Instant Pot uses for various cooking tasks. This reminds me that the total 120v amp draw is important in sizing inverters but to think in terms of amp-minutes (not amp-hours) when working out battery needs.
MZL1312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 02:36 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 19
Data are for the engineers in the group, but I can share my experience with the Norcold 5.5 compressor fridge. We just returned from a trip with a 4 hour return drive. We were plugged in at the campground, so my two 6V batteries were fully charged when we left. We kept the fridge running with frozen foods inside for the entire trip home. We have the 190W solar panel on our 2021 Escape 19 and the frozen stuff was still solid and the batteries fully charged when we arrived.

I have to add that we had a compressor fridge (Adler Barber Cold Machine) on our boat for 18 years. We went to the Bahamas and to Maine from our dock in NC. Both trips we turned on the fridge before we dropped the dock lines and turned it off when we arrived home. We had two Siemens 55W panels on the boat that were not new when we bought her.

The compressor refrigerators like to get cold and stay cold. That is their most efficient mode. Turning them off and on plays to their weakness.
Doug in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 02:45 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
This is good info. Does anyone else have any real-world data for the power drawn by a compressor fridge? I'm interested in amp-hours used per day or week, for example. I intend to install one in my trailer at some point, perhaps next year. Thanks.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 03:20 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
This is good info. Does anyone else have any real-world data for the power drawn by a compressor fridge? I'm interested in amp-hours used per day or week, for example. I intend to install one in my trailer at some point, perhaps next year. Thanks.
I had a T@da with twin compressor units, could not sleep too well with the constant humming while they cooled down.