Pros/cons of spray foam insulation and 2x12V heat pads - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2020, 03:46 PM   #21

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by rootedoutside View Post
Thanks to you and others re: the tip that Escapes are only 3-season trailers. We'll definitely need to re-think having her in the midwest during winter. She might just need to get bundled up and winterized until temps get better.

well if you can hook on and head south!!!
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
That's a great call to take a picture pre-foam if we decide to go that route. That would be helpful to know where components are if any repairs are needed.
Better yet a picture with dimensions from a fixed point on the frame to major components would really helpful. Good dimensions could put you right under each propane fitting, plumbing fitting, trailer electrical ground connection, etc. If you had a suspected problem you could approach it with surgical precision.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Ron in BC used foam panels to insulate his trailer. I would go this direction rather than having difficult to remove spray foam.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tion-7046.html
Old 05-06-2020, 07:04 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Thanks to you and others re: the tip that Escapes are only 3-season trailers. We'll definitely need to re-think having her in the midwest during winter. She might just need to get bundled up and winterized until temps get better.
If you are adventurous you can easily dry camp during the winter in the Escape at least for short periods. Will send details if you are interested.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, we use our unit year round, down to -0- for Super Bowl camping in WV. Camper is either winterized or the cg had heated water supply, which we carry also. With the heat on and heated water added we were able to dump before leaving. So with proper precautions, you can use the Escape 365/year.
Old 05-06-2020, 09:55 AM   #26

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
From the OP, "We anticipate living in the midwest in our Escape during the winter months".

A few nights dry camping is a lot different from living in the trailer for the winter. Of course keeping fluids from freezing is the big thing, but humidity control from long term use in a single wall trailer comes into play too.
Old 05-06-2020, 12:33 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This is true but others have turned their unit into ski weekend retreats in Canada. with proper skirting it can be done, but I'd just travel to warmer climate vs living in a trailer in the winter in one location.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
We're currently finalizing our build sheet, and wanted to hear your positive/negative experiences with the spray foam insulation under the trailer and 2x12V heat pads.

We anticipate living in the midwest in our Escape during the winter months so insulation would be necessary we imagine (newbies to RVing ). What are the pros/cons of the spray foam under trailer? What about the 2x12V heat pads?

Thanks!
We want heating pads and the bottom insulated, but, didn't like the idea of having Escape do it and not knowing where everything ran under the spray foam. We contacted Escape and they offered a 'Heat Pad Ready' option. They will wire the trailer for heat pads, and coil the wires near the tanks. That way, I can do my own insulation and heat pads while having the benefits of factory wiring.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:17 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
even with the heat pads and foam living in the midwest during the winter months. would require some way to keep the dump valves and water lines from freezing . These are great 3 season campers,But if your sure you want to live it in the winter you will have to head south or look into a 4 season camper. The heat pads will help when you hooked to power but will do nothing when your traveling . they also only heat the tanks not the plumbing . That said if you camping in shoulder season and get a night down below freezing the foam will help, But once you reach daytime temps below freezing it will be time to winterize or head south as many do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
We want heating pads and the bottom insulated, but, didn't like the idea of having Escape do it and not knowing where everything ran under the spray foam. We contacted Escape and they offered a 'Heat Pad Ready' option. They will wire the trailer for heat pads, and coil the wires near the tanks. That way, I can do my own insulation and heat pads while having the benefits of factory wiring.
This sounds like a great middle ground for us. We don't know enough yet or have personal experiences with the pads/spray foam to confidently add those options at this point. Thanks much!
rootedoutside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 06:45 PM   #30

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
foam?? maybe this will help I think deciding on the foam was one of my toughest decisions on my build sheet . I just hope my install looks as nice as the pictures ETI provides
Attached Thumbnails
Spray Foam 19' (2).jpg   Spray Foam 19' (7).jpg   19' Pre Spray Foam (1).jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #31

Trailer: 2018 17B
Thanks for this link. We plan to do something similar this year. (We installed DIY heat pads last October before putting our 17B to sleep for the winter.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Ron in BC used foam panels to insulate his trailer. I would go this direction rather than having difficult to remove spray foam.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tion-7046.html
Turtleknits is offline   Reply With Quote