Question on options for veteran Escapers - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2017, 06:41 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 21'
Question on options for veteran Escapers

Hi all,

My husband and I are picking up our 21' Escape in early June and are finalizing our build sheet. We are fairly clear on most options but have a few questions:

1. Is the Starter Kit with Tandem Chocks worth it? we are specifically wondering if the 25' water hose is good quality or if we should get this ourselves.

2. Are the Rhino Sewer Tube Kit and Sewer Tube adapter worth getting?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice!

Cheers,
Sarah
sorms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes to both, plus the sand pads for the stabilizer feet. Oh, and welcome to our Escape world....
Old 01-24-2017, 07:52 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 1721
What is the Rhino Sewer Tube Kit and Sewer Tube adapter? I thought the RhinoFLEX sewer hose would fit in the standard tube? Is that incorrect?
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:56 AM   #4

It will fit and the Rhino system is a lot better than the stock hose Escape provides. You would probably upgrade the first time you used it. My Rhino fits in the stock, but barely, I think the confusion is the use of holder which is a separate piece that fits around the in ground sewer pipe, not the pipe on the trailer. I can remember if it fits inside the stock or I put in my front box. Too rainy to go out and look. But the main part does fit the stock trailer tube.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:04 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I didn't get the kit as I had most of it from previous trailers and have my own preferences. It would be easiest to get the kit from ETI, but there is not much to it, depending on the length of your trip home you may well be stopping for more.

If ETI would do just the propane you could get the rest at WM or some such for cheaper, probably, and get the quality or brands you choose.

I like the Rhino over the cheaper sewer hoses, although with care even the cheap ones will last years.

Going to look for a non kinking drinking water hose that will coil up better in cold weather when this trip is done. The Camco one I have doesn't.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I like the rhino flex because you can lengthen or shorten it, and because it's easier to make it stay put. We threw the stock sewer hose in a dumpster somewhere between Canada and Texas.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:20 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 1721
Thank you for the info. I already have the Rhino hose and adapters. I had it for years sitting in the garage before using it and was amazed how much nicer it is the first time i used it. Should have junked the basic sewer hose earlier.
rotateclockwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:36 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sorms View Post
Hi all,

My husband and I are picking up our 21' Escape in early June and are finalizing our build sheet. We are fairly clear on most options but have a few questions:

1. Is the Starter Kit with Tandem Chocks worth it? we are specifically wondering if the 25' water hose is good quality or if we should get this ourselves.

2. Are the Rhino Sewer Tube Kit and Sewer Tube adapter worth getting?

Thanks in advance for any feedback/advice!

Cheers,
Sarah
Probably can put the kit together your self for cheaper, but for convenience sake it was worth it for me. And we got the Rhino hose after the frist couple of dumps. Much better than the stock one.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We went with the starter kit for 2 reasons: 1. We were starting out camping in an RV for the first time and needed most of the things in it. & 2. We wanted to start with full propane as we took 9 weeks to get home. We have since replaced the sewer hose and the water hose, but it was good to start off with.
Old 01-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Welcome, Sarah.

Pretty much a general consensus here it seems. If you are new to an RV, by all means get the starter kit. If you are like me and have all the stuff anyway, just get the propane tank fill option.

I used the stock sewer hose for quite a few years until it started to develop leaks. It is not very tough. On one trip I tossed it after picking out the Rhino tube. I checked out all the other options at an RV parts store, chose it, and it worked great. Way tougher, and the angle adaptor is nice for helping hit the hole when dumping in a campsite.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:26 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
It is so easy to spend spend spend in the excitement of picking up a new trailer. $190 is a lot for what you get and for U.S. customers even if going back into Canada can get propane in Sumas. Exchange rate helps, but... The rubber chocks you can buy online or Harbor Freight are much more stable than the plastic ones and sometimes will use them turned sideways and stacked for a shim to jack up while hitched when installing WDH bars. For tandem axels the Bal X chocks are to me a safety item when unhitching on an uneven surface as it helps keep the tongue from sliding sideways and coming off the pad which sometimes is necessary to level front to rear.

The three items we bought at pickup were a step wrap which we still have and a tank wand and one tank of propane.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:38 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
And if you are paying in US$, the ETI price for the Rhino is nearly the same as Amazon's. I'm glad we talked about this because I gave my Rhino to the new owner of Blue, so I'm adding it to our build sheet.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:44 AM   #13

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes to both, plus the sand pads for the stabilizer feet. Oh, and welcome to our Escape world....
are the sand pads special or they similar to the generic orange or yellow ones that come in various sizes at some place like Wally World?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:03 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
are the sand pads special or they similar to the generic orange or yellow ones that come in various sizes at some place like Wally World?
They're not plastic, they're metal and attach to the bottom of the stablizer.
Attached Images

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Stabilizer pad Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
They're not plastic, they're metal and attach to the bottom of the stablizer.
And then, to preserve the metal pads at the base of the stabilizer, you can use wood or plastic replaceable pads, either attached to, or manually placed under the metal.
Attached Thumbnails
6x6 stabilizer pads.jpg  
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 02:41 PM   #16

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
And then, to preserve the metal pads at the base of the stabilizer, you can use wood or plastic replaceable pads, either attached to, or manually placed under the metal.
Well, dang, didn't know this! Something else to look for and add to my list. Of course if you had included a link I could have just clicked on it and bought it right now!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:06 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Well, dang, didn't know this! Something else to look for and add to my list. Of course if you had included a link I could have just clicked on it and bought it right now!
Here you go The 21 Foot Escape
click on accessories
Old 01-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Or you can get them from Amazon. I purchased my trailer used so it didn't have them. I had the pads on my Aliner and liked them. I just ordered a pair from this link:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:21 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Get a good water hose. The end of ours provided with the kit blew off the first night. It was a fellow Escape owner to the rescue. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 03:25 PM   #20

Get the premium the hose with reinforced ends, they also are more flexible when cold https://www.amazon.com/Camco-22853-P...=rv+water+hose