Questions about Escape 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Questions about Escape 19

I have two questions about the Escape 19' model:

First, per archive.org, the weight has been increasing:
  • UVW: 2510# in 2014, 2610# in 2015, 2950# in 2017
  • GVWR: 4000# until 2017, then 5000#
Is this just a matter of more options being included as standard (and therefore included in UVW), or was there a fundamental change in the mold/design?

Second, if a trailer was ordered without the cot option, could it be added aftermarket? I see that the brackets attach near the windows, but I would guess it depends if the framing extends that far in all builds or not, to support the weight.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
Second, if a trailer was ordered without the cot option, could it be added aftermarket?
No, the supports are added during the build. I suppose you could figure out a way to do it later, like cutting into the vinyl and insulation and then 'gluing the supports to the shell.... but I've never read where anyone has actually done it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 09:06 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
There have been several changes from 2014 to 2017, noticeably the 2ndG mold change as well as options and frame and axles. This causes the change in the numbers.
Old 09-05-2019, 10:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Scamp 16'
Thank you!

I would have no interest in cutting into the wall... I can't imagine it would be able to support much weight that way.

Is there a sticker somewhere on the Escape that lists the dry weight, as configured? Or are the 2nd generation molds (and therefore the extra weight) fairly easy to spot in photos?
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:47 AM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The big change was the introduction of the second generation in 2016 (confusingly called the "2017" style). That widened the top and bottom of the trailer to make the walls vertical, increasing weight. Base equipment hasn't changed significantly.

The vertical walls and flat door of the second generation are easy to spot.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:12 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
...Second, if a trailer was ordered without the cot option, could it be added aftermarket? I see that the brackets attach near the windows, but I would guess it depends if the framing extends that far in all builds or not, to support the weight.
Customers have in the past ordered their Escape 19' "Cot Ready" with the supports glassed in during the install, but the actual cot not provided. It is then relatively simple to add it later if needed. I have no idea how much Escape charges for this so you would have to ask.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:39 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Thank you!

I would have no interest in cutting into the wall... I can't imagine it would be able to support much weight that way.

Is there a sticker somewhere on the Escape that lists the dry weight, as configured? Or are the 2nd generation molds (and therefore the extra weight) fairly easy to spot in photos?
Easy new Escape has a weight sticker, as configured attached to the vehicle in at least 2 places, one inside another outside.