Rear dinette in 19' footer - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2017, 08:35 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I stand corrected. We tried a standard coil spring queen mattress in the trailer yesterday and it actually fits fine. The back corners of the trailer are not as rounded as I envisioned (like a Scamp). It is snug right at the corners but there is a little bit of airspace along the sides and back. Worth considering if someone needs a particular type of mattress and the one from ETI isn't fitting the bill.
I know I fitted a foam mattress in our 19, so it was easy to cut the curve. I believe it was only a 7" radius, though that was a few years ago now. We did not have to, but did take 1" off the width and length to allow easier changing of the fitted sheet, and to tuck others in, though we rarely did that.

Even in the 5.0TA we mostly just toss the sheets into place. Works just great.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 09:02 AM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I know I fitted a foam mattress in our 19, so it was easy to cut the curve. I believe it was only a 7" radius, though that was a few years ago now. We did not have to, but did take 1" off the width and length to allow easier changing of the fitted sheet, and to tuck others in, though we rarely did that.

Even in the 5.0TA we mostly just toss the sheets into place. Works just great.
One wouldn't want to do an IKEA slat mod on a 5.0 TA as we discussed because of head clearance. But one of the side benefits when I did the IKEA slat mod on my 1st gen 19' is it raised the mattress up just enough on the curve of the trailer sides that we now have more clearance for tucking in the bedding. About 1 5/8 inches all around.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 10:31 AM   #43
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
One wouldn't want to do an IKEA slat mod on a 5.0 TA as we discussed because of head clearance. But one of the side benefits when I did the IKEA slat mod on my 1st gen 19' is it raised the mattress up just enough on the curve of the trailer sides that we now have more clearance for tucking in the bedding. About 1 5/8 inches all around.
Never thought about that but you're right. At the level of the platform, the walls are still curving outward. So raising just a few inches would indeed result in more clearance around the mattress.

Of course, on the new generation Escape, it would only give a little extra clearance along the back, since the side walls are vertical.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 06-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #44

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
A little late to the party here but we have the rear dinette in our 19 and have never regretted it. Much more room to move around, provides a place for one of us to work when it's raining while the other is at the front dinette, ease of access to the overhead cabinets, and the list goes on. A lot of people looked at our 19 at the rally and everyone that saw it thought the rear dinette was a great idea. In our opinion, if you have the permanent bed in a 19, it's like actually having a 15

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #45
Site Team

Umm, no, it's like having a 19...with a 60 x 80 queen bed!

Old 06-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
As a single traveler (at least for now...lol) I am very interested in the reverse 19 plan with a permanent bed up front. Although I did not see Doug's 19 at the rally, I did view Katzam's new 19 and was blown away by the spaciousness, particularly with a u shaped dinette. For those of you with this layout, can you please post some photos? I certainly appreciate the queen size bed in the standard layout for couples but even Katzam admitted her and her husband were ok with the bed size.
maiki724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:57 PM   #47

Trailer: Escape 19
Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
IF the front dinette made into a bed was big enough for two (it's not), then I could see having a huge lounge in the back, with the bed up front - but otherwise, I agree with the idea that the permanent bed in the back is the way to go. (I don't have a 19, but in our 17 ft. Casita, changing the bed from dinette to bed and back again was a pain, and we only ever did it if the weather forced us indoors for days on end...and when weather's that bad, the best solution is hitch up and move along to a sunnier spot.) I have seen "Past Tents" (rbryan4's 19) and its arrangement is great - YMMV.
The permanent bed plus dinette is why we went (after about 8 years) from a Casita 17 to an Escape 19. The front dinette is comfortable for eating, reading, watching videos--and I'm 6'1" and heavy.
Rutterslo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 07:05 PM   #48
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutterslo View Post
The permanent bed plus dinette is why we went (after about 8 years) from a Casita 17 to an Escape 19. The front dinette is comfortable for eating, reading, watching videos--and I'm 6'1" and heavy.
The permanent queen was why we went with the 19 as well. But that's what's so cool about Escapes - you can change them around and customize them. I don't know of a more customizable small trailer, or a company so accommodating to all the changes buyers want to make. Whatever works for you.

Old 06-12-2017, 07:23 PM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
When I went looking for a moulded fibreglass trailer for us in 2007, my wife's two must haves were that she wanted a permanent bed, and pot to pee in during the night.

But, like others have alluded too, all our needs are different, and it is great that so many of them can be met by Escape.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 07:34 PM   #50

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just bear in mind that a lowered dinette table with cushions and some type of foam topper will not be as comfortable as a real mattress supported on a rigid platform. If you can't sleep well the point of having a trailer becomes greatly diminished. Plus as others have mentioned you need somewhere to store the foam when you convert back to the dinette during the day. The conversion back and forth gets old fast. Also bear in mind that the mattress is the size of a standard queen (60x80) but I believe the rear corners are cut to match the trailer contour. You also need room for putting on sheets and still have a little air space at the walls (to avoid condensation issues). My point is getting a good fitting and comfortable mattress later may not be as simple as you suggest. I'd be surprised if anyone has plopped a regular replacement in from a mattress store. Likely options are ordering and picking up from ETI, custom mattress maker or a foam bed where you can cut the corners. We inquired with ETI about getting their newer 8" mattress (ours came with 5"). They were going to see if their mattress maker would ship direct but I haven't heard back.
In my 15 I took all the cushions out and use a regular full size mattress. Works great, very comfortable, and if it weren't enough I could put plywood under it instead of just the table. I think the point is flexibility, not necessarily wanting two setups. I'm going to use the dinette as permanent bed in my 17b but I didn't want it converted to a permanent bed.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:32 AM   #51

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
In my 15 I took all the cushions out and use a regular full size mattress. Works great, very comfortable, and if it weren't enough I could put plywood under it instead of just the table. I think the point is flexibility, not necessarily wanting two setups. I'm going to use the dinette as permanent bed in my 17b but I didn't want it converted to a permanent bed.
Agreed this does maximize flexibility. My comment was really directed at someone who was thinking of using the stock cushions to sleep on and converting the bed back to a dinette each day. Gets old and really seems unnecessary when you have another dinette at the other end of the trailer. To each their own though.
Old 09-27-2020, 11:24 AM   #52

Trailer: 2021 21C - March Delivery
Front Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkgman51 View Post
We opted for the rear dinette. Yes, we convert it to a bed each night by lowering the table and moving the mattress topper from the front twin, where it's stored during the day, to the rear. The conversion process takes about 5 min. in the evening and again in the morning. As others have said, "whatever fits your style" and "to each his own".
This meets our style in that neither of us wants to crawl over the other for bathroom needs during the night. As I tend to go to bed early, it's not a big deal for the wife to have the light on at the other end while she sits up reading a book.
It works for us.
And, I think, too, it makes the trailer feel bigger and there is plenty of room for visitors to share meals or play games.
Finally, I added two drawers under the front twin for easier access to storage space. Works great!
Good luck.
Gary
Gary, is your front twin permanent? I'm considering this option. My hubby doesn't have summers off like I do. I'll be solo a good chunk of the time so considering the front as a daybed. Then when hubs comes along, we'll make up the dinette into his bed. All other times, we'd have a lounge area.
AmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:25 AM   #53

Trailer: 2021 21C - March Delivery
Reverse 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by maiki724 View Post
As a single traveler (at least for now...lol) I am very interested in the reverse 19 plan with a permanent bed up front. Although I did not see Doug's 19 at the rally, I did view Katzam's new 19 and was blown away by the spaciousness, particularly with a u shaped dinette. For those of you with this layout, can you please post some photos? I certainly appreciate the queen size bed in the standard layout for couples but even Katzam admitted her and her husband were ok with the bed size.
Did you ever see photos? I am interested in this as well.
AmyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 03:54 PM   #54

Trailer: 2023 E19
Sorry to resurrect this thread once again, but want to add myself to the list of those who would like to see if any photos exist of an E19 with a fully reversed floorplan: 60x80 wide rear dinette (preferably U shaped) and a 42x80 permanent front bed (I assume that this is the mattress size utilized).

I plan to ask ETI directly when it's a little sooner to the time that my build needs to be finalized.....
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 06:15 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
Sorry to resurrect this thread once again, but want to add myself to the list of those who would like to see if any photos exist of an E19 with a fully reversed floorplan: 60x80 wide rear dinette (preferably U shaped) and a 42x80 permanent front bed (I assume that this is the mattress size utilized).

I plan to ask ETI directly when it's a little sooner to the time that my build needs to be finalized.....
That is exactly what my next E19 will be, a front permanent bed 44x78 and a 60x80 rear "U" dinette......pictures will not be ready though until May!
Old 01-11-2022, 12:06 AM   #56

Trailer: 2021 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
That is exactly what my next E19 will be, a front permanent bed 44x78 and a 60x80 rear "U" dinette......pictures will not be ready though until May!
I think that's the layout that I'd be most happy with as well. Look forward to photos when the day comes.
Or at the rally, whichever. It's in my neighbourhood.
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 06:45 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner View Post
I think that's the layout that I'd be most happy with as well. Look forward to photos when the day comes.
Or at the rally, whichever. It's in my neighbourhood.
You are fortunate to live near Osoyoos, it is one of the prettiest places we have had the pleasure of camping in......
Old 01-11-2022, 12:30 PM   #58

Trailer: 2023 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I look forward to seeing pics once they are available. I still have quite a bit of time before I need to finalize my build and am trying to do as much research as possible. I view this purchase as a long-term investment and want this trailer to meet my travel needs for the next 20+ years.

I'm a solo traveler (at least for now), and am trying to gauge if the trade-off for a narrower bed for a more spacious dinette is justified against the additional expense, reduced under-bed storage space, and potentially reduced desirability in the resale market (not that I have plans to sell).
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 02:33 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I look forward to seeing pics once they are available. I still have quite a bit of time before I need to finalize my build and am trying to do as much research as possible. I view this purchase as a long-term investment and want this trailer to meet my travel needs for the next 20+ years.

I'm a solo traveler (at least for now), and am trying to gauge if the trade-off for a narrower bed for a more spacious dinette is justified against the additional expense, reduced under-bed storage space, and potentially reduced desirability in the resale market (not that I have plans to sell).
I have found that the resell market for Escape is mainly driven by the 1-2 year wait for a new Escape, regardless of model or modification, thus making it highly desirable.
Old 01-11-2022, 03:16 PM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
As a couple travelling we find the front U shape dinette just fine. If I was single I would get the same setup unless I was entertaining a bunch of people inside.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote