Regrets configuring your 21C? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-19-2022, 04:28 PM   #41

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in Bend View Post
If you plan to ever leave a campground early in the morning, please get a manual jack. Your neighbors will much appreciate it.
I would hope the same of neighbors setting up well after dark.
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 05:25 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't mind the electric jacks much. It's those that use a battery operated drill on the stabilizers that drives me nutz. They can't get it off quick enough and rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... heard LOUDLY all across the campground.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 06:26 PM   #43

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I’m with Donna. Not sure why they insist on an impact when a drill would work and be much quieter.
Old 11-19-2022, 06:35 PM   #44

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I don't mind the electric jacks much. It's those that use a battery operated drill on the stabilizers that drives me nutz. They can't get it off quick enough and rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... rat-a-tat-tat... heard LOUDLY all across the campground.
Guilty but I use a really small drill
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 07:06 PM   #45

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
If going with the U-shaped dinette, I would have wanted the split rear cushions (we didn’t get them and I wish I had them). We reinforced every wall…it adds some weight but with most tow vehicles, it’s negligible…the trailer is already pretty light. Now we know we can attach things later if we feel like it. If not, no harm done. YMMV. Good luck.
JeffinBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:30 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

The thing is that folks that use impact drills are risking damage to the lead screws of the stabilizers etc. The impact drill will move it, no matter what, but it disguises the fact that the lead screw might be so dirty and gritty and grinding its' way up and down. Using a non-impact drill or crank gives feedback on the condition and need for cleaning the threads on the leadscrew.

Makes me cringe when I hear an impact drill in a campground.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 09:58 PM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffinBC View Post
If going with the U-shaped dinette, I would have wanted the split rear cushions (we didn’t get them and I wish I had them). We reinforced every wall…it adds some weight but with most tow vehicles, it’s negligible…the trailer is already pretty light. Now we know we can attach things later if we feel like it. If not, no harm done. YMMV. Good luck.
Quite frankly, the rear seat on the U-shaped dinette in the 21C is too narrow. It's not really comfortable to sit on. I think if I were buying a new one, I'd opt for the standard 4-person dinette. For proper six-person seating, you've got to make the area larger.

Before deciding, I suggest you find one to look and and try out.
Old 11-19-2022, 10:01 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

The thing is that folks that use impact drills are risking damage to the lead screws of the stabilizers etc. The impact drill will move it, no matter what, but it disguises the fact that the lead screw might be so dirty and gritty and grinding its' way up and down. Using a non-impact drill or crank gives feedback on the condition and need for cleaning the threads on the leadscrew.

Makes me cringe when I hear an impact drill in a campground.

Ron
So I only use my very very small drill to raise them up 3/4 of the way and then use the hand jack to slightly tighten them. I'm thinking I'm not doing any damage to the lead screw and after doing this method for 15 years with no issues I think I'm safe
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 12:43 AM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Do you mean drill or impact drill?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:47 AM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
features I am really glad our E21 classic, bought used, has...
  • all 4 corner 'captains' reading lights
  • 'stripper pole' near front door
  • cargo box
  • flip up shelf near front door
  • shelving in closet
  • oven

features I wish we had
  • front shelf instead of front window

features we have but have never used
  • Microwave
  • TV mount
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:04 AM   #51

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Quite frankly, the rear seat on the U-shaped dinette in the 21C is too narrow. It's not really comfortable to sit on. I think if I were buying a new one, I'd opt for the standard 4-person dinette. For proper six-person seating, you've got to make the area larger.

Before deciding, I suggest you find one to look and and try out.
Our dog, Shoji, demanded the U-Shaped Dinette. He said he needed to have his own space that was accessible to both sides for petting and massages.

Note! Our dog is not spoiled.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 06:41 AM   #52

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
I think that impact wrenches are among the most misused tools currently available.

Though I own an impact drill that I use for concrete, I would never put a driver bit in it. It is way to powerful to control force to a nut. I have an impact wrench that drives nuts/bolts, but I don’t drill with it.

As for extending/retracting stabilizer legs, I use a drill with a clutch set to easily release force in both directions. I then snug the leg up or down by using the drill hand grip to twist the nut in the desired direction. It’s effective, relatively quiet and puts no more force on the threads than the hand crack.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 07:16 AM   #53

Trailer: 21
I use a drill for the stabilizers only carry impact if the need arises to change at tire due to repaired torn muscles in one arm
Old 11-22-2022, 03:42 PM   #54

Decision.

Thank you everyone for your input. Every comment was read and considered as reasons to make our choices. Here's what we decided.
  • Extra rear Exterior Access Hatches. So far, I'm only getting the standard one under the bed. Extra rear one on the street side.
  • Power Tongue Jack. I've rented several trailers without one. It didn't seem like a problem. No.
  • Number Pad Door Lock. I'm used to keys everywhere else, and the keypad lock has a battery that could die when we're counting on it to work. Not now. Maybe as a mod later.
  • Additional reinforced walls? We're only reinforcing the wall between the stove and the dinette. The hardest decision, but no. We've been able to figure out other ways to mount a few things without reinforcing the walls.
Today will be sign off day within the next couple of hours.

As I said when I first introduced myself: "What have we done?"
Old 11-22-2022, 04:30 PM   #55

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
"Additional reinforced walls? We're only reinforcing the wall between the stove and the dinette. The hardest decision, but no. We've been able to figure out other ways to mount a few things without reinforcing the walls."

Our 21C is in the process of being built now. We did not get any reinforced walls. When we received our first set of photos I asked if they could send photos of the walls before the cladding is put on, so I could see where the internal structural supports are as an assist in the future if I want to hang something. It was early enough in the build that they were able to do so. (Just try that with most rv companies!) Now I will know where the interior supports are.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2022, 08:33 PM   #56

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
"Additional reinforced walls? We're only reinforcing the wall between the stove and the dinette. The hardest decision, but no. We've been able to figure out other ways to mount a few things without reinforcing the walls."

Our 21C is in the process of being built now. We did not get any reinforced walls. When we received our first set of photos I asked if they could send photos of the walls before the cladding is put on, so I could see where the internal structural supports are as an assist in the future if I want to hang something. It was early enough in the build that they were able to do so. (Just try that with most rv companies!) Now I will know where the interior supports are.
Perhaps you could share those photos for others to gain some benefit?
Old 11-22-2022, 11:18 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Now I will know where the interior supports are.
My thought was that I could screw a board (like a 1x3 or a 3" strip of 1/2" plywood) into each stud along the width of that bathroom wall, and then mount not-so-heavy things like more retractable hooks or a strip of hanging pockets to that board.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:59 PM   #58

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
Only had three walls reinforced. Had to do it over would have had 2 more additional walls done.

Also would have paid to have rear dinette seat and back made in two sections each.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 10:54 AM   #59

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I'm not much of a "regrets" kind of guy. Sometimes I read here about the modifications that people implement on their trailers and find myself getting a bit anxious that we are missing out on some very important preventative maintenance / additional feature / performance enhancement / new capability. Then we take the trailer out for weeks at a time in all kinds of conditions and it's perfectly fine.

I modified the manual factory tongue jack as described in the thread linked below (thanks Ron!).

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post432772

I use a Milwaukee lithium drill with one tool bit to operate both the tongue jack and the stabilizers; it's been a bit of a luxury that I've come to really enjoy, especially during stretches of travel when we move every day or two. I even used the drill for a minor repair on the road. The drill is much more versatile than a power tongue jack, at least until they make a power tongue jack that will double as a drill, food-processor, blender, and ice-cream-maker.

We didn't add any hatches and don't miss them. However, I "intend" to install a larger hatch to replace the small factory one so I can readily stow our GCI rocker chairs under the bed. (The factory refused to install a larger hatch back in 2017; if interested, you might see if it's an option now.) Semi-related, we do appreciate the extra cabinet door option to access the storage area under the bed a bit better.

We have the U-dinette and accessing the storage under the back "bench" is basically a nuisance, so we limit its use to storing things we don't get at very often. Personally, I would not add an exterior hatch to that area.

My lack of interest in additional hatches might be because the front storage box option on the A-frame basically handles all the wet-and-dirty stuff.

We can travel for weeks at a time with plenty of extra space in all of the trailer's cabinets and storage areas; things are not at all crammed. It's also basically just our folding electric bikes, daypacks and jackets in the tow vehicle. Other people have greater storage needs.
I did order the power tongue jack, and I do have the E2 Weight Distribution Hitch. One thing to consider is you might not be able to get your tailgate down all the way because it will hit the power tongue jack. If that's not a problem for you then order the power jack. Or, if you can modify the jack to you can use a drill then that would be great if the modification allows you to lower the tailgate.
I have researched different power tongue jacks that would enable lowering the tailgate all the way down. Airstream and Lance trailers had them, but no longer. I can't find any jack that's small enough that the tailgate can be lowered.
dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2022, 11:59 AM   #60

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
I didn't know that the captain's lights now have a usb port, so I would not have ordered the extra ones I did.

If you have the u-shaped dinette, split cushions are a must to me.

I ordered keyless entry. Locked myself out once without it when the lever dropped and locked the door. 10pm and thankfully the escape window by the dinette wasn't latched so we could climb in.

Also like the power jack for getting the sway bars on more easily and for my old body.

Good luck.
pacificc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21c, configuration