Regrets configuring your 21C? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2022, 07:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Question Regrets configuring your 21C?

We're getting close to completing configuration of our 21C. We're down to just a couple of things we're not sure we need. I'd appreciate any insights from you on these items: Especially regrets if you didn't order them.
  1. Extra rear Exterior Access Hatches. So far, I'm only getting the front one under the bed.
  2. Power Tongue Jack. I've rented several trailers without one. It didn't seem like a problem.
  3. Number Pad Door Lock. I'm used to keys everywhere else, and the keypad lock has a battery that could die when we're counting on it to work.
  4. Additional reinforced walls? We're only reinforcing the wall between the stove and the dinette.
I kinda feel like we're getting almost everything else they offer.
SteveSgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:37 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
We're getting close to completing configuration of our 21C. We're down to just a couple of things we're not sure we need. I'd appreciate any insights from you on these items: Especially regrets if you didn't order them.
  1. Extra rear Exterior Access Hatches. So far, I'm only getting the front one under the bed.
  2. Power Tongue Jack. I've rented several trailers without one. It didn't seem like a problem.
  3. Number Pad Door Lock. I'm used to keys everywhere else, and the keypad lock has a battery that could die when we're counting on it to work.
  4. Additional reinforced walls? We're only reinforcing the wall between the stove and the dinette.
I kinda feel like we're getting almost everything else they offer.
I have a Dec 2021 21C and here's my input
1. I got all the access hatches they offer, pain in the you know what lifting up cushions to access the storage.
2. Power jack o yes. If you get the E2 WDH you will so happy not having to crank the back of your TV up to connect it.
3. Keyless yes but I installed an RV Lock
4. I only got the reinforced wall between the stove and the dining area. I wanted to install a heavy magnetic knife holder.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 08:42 PM   #3
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
I'd reinforce all the walls. We just picked ours up a few weeks ago, and we had most reinforced, but I wish I had done them all. You never know when you may want to hand a hook set or something similar. Also the bathroom is next to the bed, so if someone kicks hard at night there is a chance that the bathroom wall might take some abuse. I would definitely reinforce the bathroom wall and the walls facing the dinette.
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:53 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
1. Electric jack yes - used every time I hitch up to raise the tow an inch or so and insure the ball is captured. No false hitch.

2. Wall between bed and closet so I could hang a television there.

3. No extra hatches needed.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 10:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Rv lock has refurb sales once or twice a year for 1/2 price it’s a ten minute install. I loved ours. When I bought the 21 I wished I installed the inverter. Didn’t reinforce any walls and didn’t miss that, didn’t install the front window or the bathroom window, had no issues. Power awning was standard in 17, but I liked it, that will start an endless discussion pro and con (lol), . We lightly optioned this first trailer with solar, air, microwave and few other small,things. Frankly I used the solar very little. Easy to option creep and get into the high 50’s these days. It was the mid 30’s in 2017, I paid 28. Geez
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
We got both rear access hatches. Alternative is muck through cushions and hatches and drag chairs, etc. through the camper to get them outside.

Electric jack is great for lifting the tow vehicle to install weight distribution bars.

If you get an inverter, I suggest that all 110V outlets be on the circuit.

Outside shower comes in handy when you need it.

Electric door lock makes it easy to lock and unlock without having to have the camper keys in you pocket/around your neck all the time. If the batteries go dead, use the key that comes with it. I was not interested in the electric lock until I saw one on a friend’s camper. Now, I am a believer.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 05:48 AM   #7
Wig

Trailer: 2022 21C
Regrets

Hi Steve,
I’ll give you my thoughts on the items you mentioned.

1-Access Hatch, I ordered an additional hatch. One of my frustrations with my previous trailer (Casita SD) was the amount and placement of the storage areas. I had to get down on my hands and knees to access much of the storage and though getting down there was easy getting back up was a bear.

2-Power Jack, I opted for the power jack. I tend to move around a lot and I think the power jack will make things easier especially with the weight distribution hitch.

3-Keyless Entry, yes I like the idea of keyless entry and a key is provided in case of battery failure.

4-Reinforced Walls, I did not get reinforced walls I don’t tend to put much on the walls and certainly nothing heavy. Looking back maybe I should have gotten one reinforced wall (things change) but no real regrets.
Wig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 21
If you are getting the u shaped bench option, have them split the rear cushions for ease of getting under the bench storage area.
Old 11-15-2022, 07:20 AM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
IF you have the removable electric plug, there's the space under the rear bench where the wire would coil if you didn't for a small amount of storage. Is a outside hatch worth it here? You decide.

IF you have the standard dinette configuration, the passenger side bench is where the batteries are.... dual batteries take up most of the space, no room for chairs, tables, etc. Is a outside hatch worth it here? You decide.

IF you have the u-shape dinette, the passenger side bench is complete free and that entire area is available for use. I don't have outside hatches and this is were I store items I don't need very often, but want inside the trailer. Is a outside hatch worth it to you? You decide.

I like the clean look of no hatches.

Hope this helps.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:48 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 2023 21NE
Our 21NE is in build right now. Our thoughts were to be sure to get stuff we could not add later ourselves, like reinforced walls, we got them all.

We could add access hatches so didn't order any extra. Also no number pad door lock. We did order the power tongue jack.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:07 AM   #11

Trailer: 2022 E19
- Didn't get the keyless entry but I think will order an RV Lock (seems to be preferred) when they are on sale. I can't count how many times I've walked to the trailer from my house to get something or put something away and forgotten the key!
- Went with standard hatches and no regrets.
- Highly recommend the PS outside shower. I use it all the time. I have DS as well but haven't used it.
- I have mixed feelings on the power jack. It would certainly come in handy when trying to connect WDH but I'm at the age where if you don't use muscles you lose them. Cranking that handle is a small thing but it all adds up over time. Plus, the power jack is an easy install anytime.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 08:27 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
For my fifth Escape, I went with o/s shower on each side, reinforce wall where you want your tv,
manual jack, standard lock, hatches on each side.....KISS.....
Old 11-15-2022, 08:37 AM   #13

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Don’t own a 21, but this applies to all campers.

After 1 1/2 years of ownership, in spring 2020, we added an RV Lock. Love not needing a key to lock/unlock our door. Our battery did die, but I just went to our pickup, got the key, opened the door, and replaced the battery. We also keep the second key hidden in our front storage compartment.

We also didn’t like the stock key that most others use to open our storage doors, that also can be fussy to open, and purchased tubular cam locks.

Since we got the u-shaped dinette we also ordered the access door to the passenger side of the dinette. It’s one of those items that if you get it you can’t imagine not having it, but if you don’t get it you’ll not know what your missing.

We didn’t get the inverter, and for the first two years didn’t miss it. However that third year we stayed in a full electric site for a month and purchased a toaster, however we don’t use or need a microwave (YMMV). A year ago last summer I installed a 1,500 watt inverter with a plug only to our kitchen outlet for our toaster. So far we’re just fine with one outlet, but again, YMMV.

Like Rockhead stated, if you get the u-shaped dinette get your rear seat and back cushions split. ETI refused to split the plywood underneath the split cushion (do they still refuse?), but that was easy to split.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
With respect to the passenger side rear access hatch, in addition to the 2 lithium batteries, we store 2 Helinox chairs, 1 Helinox table and 2 collapsable three leg stools in that area. Everything is removable through the access hatch.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:44 AM   #15

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Ditto on the split rear cushions on the u-shaped dinette.

I thought “What a waste of money”. Now I say “Geez, why didn’t I get the split cushions?”
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
Ditto on the split rear cushions on the u-shaped dinette.

I thought “What a waste of money”. Now I say “Geez, why didn’t I get the split cushions?”
Oe note on split cushions. If you get the Lagun table mount, Escape will not do split cushions (at least that was the case in the recent past). Not sure why - I did my own Lagun mount, ordered a set of split cushion covers from Escape, cut the stock foam cushion in half (as well as the plywood seat), and have been very pleased with the result.
Old 11-15-2022, 11:30 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 2023 21NE
Regarding the u-shaped dinette split cushions and lagun mount; we were able to order the lagun mount and split seat cushions and split backrest cushions. We could not order the rear bench access cover split....
Old 11-15-2022, 12:45 PM   #18

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSgt View Post
We're getting close to completing configuration of our 21C.
I'm not much of a "regrets" kind of guy. Sometimes I read here about the modifications that people implement on their trailers and find myself getting a bit anxious that we are missing out on some very important preventative maintenance / additional feature / performance enhancement / new capability. Then we take the trailer out for weeks at a time in all kinds of conditions and it's perfectly fine.

I modified the manual factory tongue jack as described in the thread linked below (thanks Ron!).

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post432772

I use a Milwaukee lithium drill with one tool bit to operate both the tongue jack and the stabilizers; it's been a bit of a luxury that I've come to really enjoy, especially during stretches of travel when we move every day or two. I even used the drill for a minor repair on the road. The drill is much more versatile than a power tongue jack, at least until they make a power tongue jack that will double as a drill, food-processor, blender, and ice-cream-maker.

We didn't add any hatches and don't miss them. However, I "intend" to install a larger hatch to replace the small factory one so I can readily stow our GCI rocker chairs under the bed. (The factory refused to install a larger hatch back in 2017; if interested, you might see if it's an option now.) Semi-related, we do appreciate the extra cabinet door option to access the storage area under the bed a bit better.

We have the U-dinette and accessing the storage under the back "bench" is basically a nuisance, so we limit its use to storing things we don't get at very often. Personally, I would not add an exterior hatch to that area.

My lack of interest in additional hatches might be because the front storage box option on the A-frame basically handles all the wet-and-dirty stuff.

We can travel for weeks at a time with plenty of extra space in all of the trailer's cabinets and storage areas; things are not at all crammed. It's also basically just our folding electric bikes, daypacks and jackets in the tow vehicle. Other people have greater storage needs.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:51 PM   #19
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
We didn't order ours; the original owner (Shawn) did, back in 2018, and by and large I think he made good choices.

- Hatches on both sides to compartments under dinette; yes. Driver's side I use for power cable and tire tools. Passenger side won't use until I install a barrier to protect the electronics. I like hatches.

- Power Jack makes it much easier to install and remove sway bars for Fastway E2 WDH, which was an option for ours. You need to lift it pretty high to avoid using the snap-in tool. Disadvantage for us is that our Expedition liftgate hit the jack (even turned sideways), so we had to buy an extra-long shank. Don't know if manual jack would have avoided this.

- No number pad on ours. Not sure I want one.

- Reinforced wall: Would have been nice to have one on bed side of closet. I had to use reinforcements to install a TV mount in the center of that wall.

Others:

- Split rear bench would have been nice (if U-shaped dinette); removing the long bench to get at batteries is annoying.

- I wish Escape back in 2019 had put a door to the under-bed compartment inside, and pressurized mounts to lift up top and mattress. We use that compartment, which my wife calls 'the garage', a lot.

- I wish we had reading lights on each side of the dinette. I installed one.

- I wish we had windows that weren't so tinted, and less harsh interior lights; don't know what options there are now.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:42 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A local upholstery place will split and finish your cushions the way you want them, I had some done a couple of years ago. Still deciding on the new ones though.....

Tags
21c, configuration