Reinforced walls - add to strength of trailer? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2020, 05:19 PM   #21

Trailer: Decisions, decisions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

I have photos and inside details of every wall in the 19 and 21 except for that one wall in the 21.

Ron

Now you do.

Bathroom wall on a 21’. The angled side goes towards the front.
Saved this when I was thinking about the 21.

Sam
Attached Thumbnails
AAA8620D-CDC8-4288-BE34-5AF3ABE63141.jpg  
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Perfect, thanks for posting.

Can't see any reason now why there would be any problem retrofitting a grab bar for either or both the bathroom or beside the bed locations.

I'm not there yet but it's good to know that it wouldn't be a biggie.

Another birthday today, groan, I'm getting closer to that time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
The fact someone never had a problem that would have been helped by a EMS, and the fact I was never killed because there wasn't an GFCI are both Strawman arguments. So in that regard they are 'equal'.
In my jurisdiction that requirement is now out of date. Not only are exterior outlets required to be GFCI protected but now they also have be Arc Fault protected. Try cutting your grass with a corded lawn mower with that combination. Sometimes I think that we go a little too far in CYA situations.

I see comment after comment from folks about this or that related to their EMS. If it makes people feel more safe or comfortable than it's worth having.

Personally, I have a built-in AC voltmeter and a polarity/lack of ground tester and I'm quite happy to use common sense in a questionable situation. Your comfort level may differ.

Ron
Old 08-15-2020, 07:38 PM   #24

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I have photos and inside details of every wall in the 19 and 21 except for that one wall in the 21.

Ron
Funny, I have photos of the 21 bathroom being built - but none of the construction of the bath/bed wall itself.

Update: SamIam is a LOT quicker than I am! Thanks, I added that pic to my file. And it turns out I did have a poor pic of the wall - it's leaning against the drivers side in the first pic.
Attached Thumbnails
1.jpg   2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  

Old 08-15-2020, 07:58 PM   #25

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
In my jurisdiction that requirement is now out of date. Not only are exterior outlets required to be GFCI protected but now they also have be Arc Fault protected. Try cutting your grass with a corded lawn mower with that combination. Sometimes I think that we go a little too far in CYA situations.

I see comment after comment from folks about this or that related to their EMS. If it makes people feel more safe or comfortable than it's worth having.

Personally, I have a built-in AC voltmeter and a polarity/lack of ground tester and I'm quite happy to use common sense in a questionable situation. Your comfort level may differ.

Ron
A lot of home fires were caused by small arcing faults in devices , fixtures and small home appliances . If I remember correctly the insurance industry was the driving force behind this code change.
When I did fire calls I was surprised how many residential fires were caused by lamps , radios , clocks , receptacles , extension cords and other small electrical devices
Since arc fault protection should originate at the source , it would be difficult to add to a trailer due to lack of panel space
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:58 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
Quote:
Perfect, thanks for posting.

Can't see any reason now why there would be any problem retrofitting a grab bar for either or both the bathroom or beside the bed locations.

I'm not there yet but it's good to know that it wouldn't be a biggie.

Another birthday today, groan, I'm getting closer to that time.

Ron
I had a birthday today as well, but I may have you beat. I turned 80.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post

What are you going to do to top that?
Old 08-15-2020, 09:39 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
When I get to 80 I'm going to pretend that it's the new 50.

BTW, Happy Birthday.

Ron
Old 08-15-2020, 11:17 PM   #29

Trailer: 2020 Bigfoot 25RQ
Happy Birthday to both of you celebrating birthdays today!
Porterville, CA
Sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I have always been under the assumption that “reinforced walls had nothing to do with structural integrity of the trailer, just for easy mounting of hooks, shelving,etc. . It does add weight to the trailer however so I opted out haven’t been sorry and I’ve done a bunch of mods. 😆 I’m getting a chuckle about the arguments about what one needs or doesn’t need. You don’t need a single option for the trailer to work. That’s why they’re options. You don’t need a 12 disc CD player with a dozen speakers in your car but some seem to think you can’t live without it. That’s the nice thing about it being an option, you want it you pay for it, you don’t you save the money. And last of all if you spent your money because someone told to, well that’s your problem 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:05 PM   #31

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Classic
We reinforced 3 walls I seem to recall, not because I wanted to, but my wife did. And so far, in 4 years of ownership, we have not ended up hanging anything that would have required them to be reinforced. So to me, it was not something I would have chosen to do
Old 08-19-2020, 01:03 PM   #32
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
We reinforced the bathroom wall in our 21C with no regrets. It adds 50 lbs but that was the only wall we weren't sure how we were going to use it. It was nice to later add a shelf at the exact location we wanted and we can add grab/towel bars or other things later. We were told, to reinforce all the other 4-5 smaller walls would add 25 lbs/each so we passed on those. They said they could install our TV mount in a stud on that small wall so that worked out.

BTW a jolly good Happy Birthday to Ron in BC and Tom&Joan today!!! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:53 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
I....... Arc Fault protected. Try cutting your grass with a corded lawn mower with that combination.....
Ron

Ron, if that is a current problem, here's the solution my son & I found. He had installed AFCI's in his GE panel during a house renovation, and couldn't mow his lawn without tripping. Our solution was to use an Eaton/CutlerHammer Classified breaker as a replacement. It does not false-trip when using power eq. outside.

Eaton has a UL approval for use of their breaker in other mfr's equipment. (i.e. UL tested their product in the GE panel).
So, depending on your panelboard mfr., there may be a Classified AFCI breaker that can be used, that more reliably functions for the particular use.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #34

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
I have a portable EMS that I used primarily with the generator on my old trailer. I got a built in EMS with my new Escape.

It prevents modulating voltage when the generator is running out of gas from damaging things like the A/C compressor.

Once voltage falls out of its perimeters, it keeps the power shut off for a few minutes. That's the reason for the delay when you first plug it in. It's not that it is particularly analyzing anything, it's just preventing those momentary off / on moments that can be so hard on compressors.
We also had the surge suppressor installed during our build . Very glad we did has shut down power 4 times now at different campgrounds . Usually low voltage which you can read on your remote for the surge suppressor.
Wasn’t going to get at first but a very smart lady we dealt with at Escape convinced us and glad we did and listened to her .
Wish we had something on our home power too. Cannot tell you how many times our power goes off and can see the voltage reading on a portable system for our computers .
Right now we are going through a heat wave and I see power go down to 114 volts . My understanding not good for the electronics . Pat
A update power down to 112 volts !
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:34 PM   #35

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
We got our camper 2018 5.0 TA with five reinforced walls not sure how those without are, but we are pleased with what we had done and would do it again
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:31 PM   #36

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
We got our camper 2018 5.0 TA with five reinforced walls not sure how those without are, but we are pleased with what we had done and would do it again
Us too! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 09:19 PM   #37

Trailer: 2022 5.0TA
Are there any issues with walls being dented or broken from a person stumbling into a wall?

I'm trying to decide about reinforcing the bathroom wall opposite the doorway, where I'd imagine it's possible to stumble while walking into the trailer and hit the wall.

And maybe reinforce the walls facing the dinette, where it might be possible to loose balance going in/out of dinette and hit the wall.
richm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 10:24 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by richm View Post
Are there any issues with walls being dented or broken from a person stumbling into a wall?

I'm trying to decide about reinforcing the bathroom wall opposite the doorway, where I'd imagine it's possible to stumble while walking into the trailer and hit the wall.

And maybe reinforce the walls facing the dinette, where it might be possible to loose balance going in/out of dinette and hit the wall.
I reinforced the wall opposite the doorway in order to be able to mount things (artwork or a railing) on that wall. Even if you do not reinforce it, I highly doubt you are going to break the wall, and it is definitely not an issue in the dinette. Consider that every reinforced wall adds weight. The biggest stumbling hazard in the 5.0 TA is missing the bottom step where the angle cut is when descending from the loft. After we both missed it and narrowly avoided injury, we addressed the problem by keeping our small flip-up lidded trash receptacle (IKEA) on the step above the angled cut. That way, when backing down the steps at night, if your foot contacts the waste container you know you are too far toward the door and avoid an unexpected “missing step.”
Old 05-24-2021, 09:45 AM   #39

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I reinforced the wall opposite the doorway in order to be able to mount things (artwork or a railing) on that wall. Even if you do not reinforce it, I highly doubt you are going to break the wall, and it is definitely not an issue in the dinette. Consider that every reinforced wall adds weight. The biggest stumbling hazard in the 5.0 TA is missing the bottom step where the angle cut is when descending from the loft. After we both missed it and narrowly avoided injury, we addressed the problem by keeping our small flip-up lidded trash receptacle (IKEA) on the step above the angled cut. That way, when backing down the steps at night, if your foot contacts the waste container you know you are too far toward the door and avoid an unexpected “missing step.”
Ditto on not needing wall reinforced for the purpose of stumbling against it, very unlikely to happen.

I think we each had an instance with the bottom step when we first got the trailer. Colleen when making the bed and then backing down the stairs and me, who knows what I was doing. Neither occurrence happened at night. I know many advocate going down backwards, but we no longer go down backwards, we find going down frontwards quite safe.

Prior to getting the trailer I planned do do as others had done, put a couple hand rails on but we found that it wasn't necessary for us. It seems there is enough light in the trailer that even mid-night trips to the restroom are no problem navigating the steps. We slide to the bottom of the bed, stay to the right. It is so automatic that I am not exactly how, but I brace myself with either the corner of the shower or the cabinet on the left and then grab the stripper pole. We have had no mishaps that way and haven't missed the bottom step. Might not work for all, but for us it is a lot easier and safer than when we backed down.
Old 05-24-2021, 01:03 PM   #40

Trailer: 21C Jan. 15, 2021
We ordered our21C with 3 reinforced walls. Bathroom wall, 2 dinette walls. Wish now I had ordered 2 additional walls at the full height cabinet by bed. I added interior adjustable shelving in that area and it was fun trying to find something substantial to fasten to, but I did ( well withthe help of VHB tape). I was glad to have a solid wall by the bed to fasten a canvas catch all for glasses, flashlight, handgun and other items.
I have also mounted magazine racks on the other reinforced walls
The longer bath wall may have 25#s extra weight ,but I seriously doubt it. The short walls..nah. No way. Total bs.

If you want reinforced walls, or feel the need, get them. You will be glad you did. Stuff you may want to fasten others may have no desire to have, or maybe it wasn’t offered 10 years ago.
Dcboyd is offline   Reply With Quote