Reinforced Walls - Good Idea? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2019, 08:18 AM   #41

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Doesn’t Escape advertise itself as a builder of high quality , custom trailers.?
Yes, that's why they offer to reinforce walls. Don't know of another company that does. Our Lance walls were so thin I was scared to screw anything in, but did use Command Hooks. We knew hooks for heavy coats and a hand rail was going to be installed on the bathroom wall in our 5.0, so we had that wall reinforced. We had no other walls reinforced and after 200 nights in our camper that was the right choice for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-21-2019, 08:30 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Yes, that's why they offer to reinforce walls. Don't know of another company that does. Our Lance walls were so thin I was scared to screw anything in, but did use Command Hooks. We knew hooks for heavy coats and a hand rail was going to be installed on the bathroom wall in our 5.0, so we had that wall reinforced. We had no other walls reinforced and after 200 nights in our camper that was the right choice for us.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry, we do the same in our trailer and did in our 19. No need for extra reinforcing though, as there is a framing member across from the top of the bath door to the right wall to hold the hooks.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:37 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Perry, we do the same in our trailer and did in our 19. No need for extra reinforcing though, as there is a framing member across from the top of the bath door to the right wall to hold the hooks.
I agree, as long as that is where you want your hooks, plus there is no framing to hold our hand rail installed where we want it, at an angle.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-21-2019, 09:11 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I agree, as long as that is where you want your hooks, plus there is no framing to hold our hand rail installed where we want it, at an angle.

Enjoy,

Perry
I have looked at a grab bar should we need one, and it would be easy to install on the corner. If you put it vertically there, it is more out of the way. Up top it is about the only option anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Think of your home, I'm not sure how thick the sheet rock is in my home, but we wouldn't think of having plywood reinforcement throughout the house. We can't just hang anything on the walls at home either.
My home was built to Texas windstorm standards to meet requirements for 130 mph winds. It has plywood reinforced walls through most of the house.

It makes it hard to find studs - a studfinder thinks the whole wall is a stud.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0011.jpg  
Old 11-21-2019, 09:33 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have looked at a grab bar should we need one, and it would be easy to install on the corner. If you put it vertically there, it is more out of the way. Up top it is about the only option anyway.
The grab bar was one of the first items installed. Didn't want it vertically, and like where it ended up at an angle. YMMV.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-21-2019, 09:45 AM   #47

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
One can always mount a nice piece of wood on the panel side for reinforcement, it just takes some effort to find such a piece of wood and finish and install, but it can be done.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:24 AM   #48

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Think of your home, I'm not sure how thick the sheet rock is in my home, but we wouldn't think of having plywood reinforcement throughout the house. We can't just hang anything on the walls at home either.
After the 1994 earthquake , we had a Geo Technical -Structural Engineer go over our home damage and make a report . Turns out our city also used them .
Our home after foundation was fixed is encased in 3/8 in ply , called sheer walls . Real ply not chip board . The whole entire house after all stucco was removed first . Other things too such as Simpson brackets attaching walls to new foundations. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
My home was built to Texas windstorm standards to meet requirements for 130 mph winds. It has plywood reinforced walls through most of the house.

To be able to withstand a earthquake kind of what our home looks like too , Tom . Pat
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
To be able to withstand a earthquake kind of what our home looks like too , Tom . Pat
I would also add the sheer panels are screwed to wall studs every 6 in . As per engineer’s directions . Pat
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #51

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Years back I worked on high end custom homes . The builders put blocking in the walls for hanging cabinets , hand rails , draperies , kitchen & bath fixtures , wall mounted TV’s / appliances , hanging large pieces of art or wall decorations, ETC , ETC , ETC
Figuring out where to place blocking is not rocket science nor do you need to be clairvoyant , it just takes a little common sense and a builder ,carpenters who care.

Doesn’t Escape advertise itself as a builder of high quality , custom trailers.?

I'm not sure what you mean by the last sentence. Our newish home does have blocking in the walls but the builder didn't do it without sharing where he was doing it. I have no concerns about extra weight in the house & blocking makes a lot of sense, but I sure would prefer to be able to determine which walls in my weight restricted RV gets reinforced...just like ETI does now. I don't want 200 lbs of blocking because someone someday might want to hang something somewhere.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:17 PM   #52

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We live in an area not subject to hurricanes or earth quakes . Our biggest concern is straight line winds and snow load and the building code reflect that
Our cabin was built with 2x6 walls — 16” OC with metal wind bracing and 1/2 plywood sheathing that was glued and screwed to the framing
The roof has 2x10 rafters 16” OC with hurricane clips and sheathed with 5/8” plywood with plywood clips and anchored with galvanized ring shank nails
It has withstood straight line winds of close to 100 MPH and snow loads of over 3ft

Considering the age of the average Escape owner , I would think that a reinforced wall in the bathroom so safety grab bars could be installed would be standard equipment .
I am not advocating that every wall in an Escape be reinforced but there are certain locations
that just seem to be common sense IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 12:29 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
...Considering the age of the average Escape owner , I would think that reinforced wall in the bathroom so safety grab bars could be installed would be standard equipment .
I am not advocating that every wall in an Escape be reinforced but there are certain locations
that just seem to be common sense IMHO
I have sometimes thought that given the age of many Escape owners, ETI should consider an "oldtimer" option package that would include:
- provision of grab handles in the bathroom, up the stairs of a 5.0, and at the front entry door.
- entry steps that are more conducive to old knees (lower rise, wider)
- front power jack
- Other?

I am not quite at that stage yet, but could see myself needing those items at some point in my future.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #54

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
We have the 5.0TA.........we got the reinforced walls, well worth it
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:07 PM   #55

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
I have sometimes thought that given the age of many Escape owners, ETI should consider an "oldtimer" option package that would include:
- provision of grab handles in the bathroom, up the stairs of a 5.0, and at the front entry door.
- entry steps that are more conducive to old knees (lower rise, wider)
- front power jack
- Other?

I am not quite at that stage yet, but could see myself needing those items at some point in my future.
If there was a "Like" button, I would hit it!
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:42 PM   #56

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post

I hate to tell you but that is not plywood. That is oriented strand board, or OSB. In AZ custom homes are built with real plywood, spec homes are built with OSB.
Old 11-21-2019, 07:59 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
I hate to tell you but that is not plywood. That is oriented strand board, or OSB. In AZ custom homes are built with real plywood, spec homes are built with OSB.
Yup you are right on that . Our home is specified real wood ply . I think the point Tom was making his home has sheer walls which makes the walls a lot stronger ! Pat
Old 11-21-2019, 08:08 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Yup you are right on that . Our home is specified real wood ply . I think the point Tom was making his home has sheer walls which makes the walls a lot stronger ! Pat
While OSB has twice the shear strength of plywood, and thus it's use in stuff like the web in engineered joists and lots of beam material, plywood has better fastener holding ability, thus it's use advantage for sheer walls.

Almost all wall sheathing here uses OSB, with it being stronger and a bit cheaper, and we have no environmental concerns like earthquakes or strong winds.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #59

Thanks Jim for the explanation . I have been out of the loop since that , now 25 years . But I did learn the hard way about sheer walls etc. Pat
Old 11-22-2019, 06:27 AM   #60

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I do not think I have any plywood in my walls as my home was built before plywood.......
Attached Images