Sight Unseen Used 17B Purchase Adventures - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Sight Unseen Used 17B Purchase Adventures

Well, we are now the proud owners of a 2010 Escape 17B. We had never even seen any Escape, let alone been in one, but with the help of this forum and a lot of photos it went well.

We posted in the Classified section that we were looking for a used 17B. Did not really think we would be successful, so also investigated purchasing new. But...the seller saw our post and contacted us privately, the trailer was never actually on the market! Posting definitely works!

The trailer was located quite a ways away (1000 miles), but in many emails with the seller it sounded like a good fit. The seller was very honest and accurate in his emails, and took a lot of photos, including any special ones we requested.

I learned this model was subject to a recall (frame reinforcement) and asked if it had been done. Seller was not aware, so I got the VIN and contacted Escape. The recall had not been done, but they would provide the necessary parts. While I was at it I asked if they could provide the original build sheet, which they did. The build sheet revealed that the original purchaser (not our seller) had ordered may additions: solar panel, insulation and dual pane windows, AC, axle lift, load bearing hitch, many lights and outlets, 3 burner stove, and several others. It also has a 5 cf refrigerator. All added up to 4 to 5 thousand in extras. All in all, they added enough value that we thought the 16,000 price was fair.

Payment was interesting. We settled on a cashiers check as the best method. I suggested he take a copy to his bank for verification, though in the end we went to his bank together. I gave him the check for 15,000 and 1,000 cash (so we could have made adjustments if the ppi found any problems...none found). It took the two banks 20 minutes to verify funds, including me talking to my bank and going through 3 methods of identification, including 2 factor with text msg. Other than all cash, which I did not want to do, I do not have any suggestions on payment. Just be up front and expect some complications.

Hitched up and took 3 nights to get back home. No problems with shakedown. Interesting for two adults to learn how to maneuver around inside, but did not take long. (We had prior owned a 32' fifthwheel, so were familiar with rv living.)

Now to take care of a few known items, including new awning fabric and door screen, and make it our own. A new adventure beginning, we can hardly wait.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 12:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Congratulations! Bastrop SP is on our visit list for thIs fall and of course we always stop at Buccee’s when in the area. [emoji4]
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 02:12 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Welcome to the area. Don't know if you have been to the park before, but, if not, try to get into the upper area. The lower area is too near the highway.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote