Solar help? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2020, 12:01 PM   #21

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19'
We checked the polarity with the meter. Not sure what “output” numbers we should see, but it appears that Escape did not wire the Zamp port to reverse the polarity. They wired red to red and black to black. It should be red to black and black to red, right? So the next question is, do we just remove the “wire connectors” and switch the wires? Is it that simple (aside from my 6’1” tall husband trying to work in that very small space)?
TesaLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:38 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 E19
Post #18 has the key. In Direct Current, connect the positive wires to each other. Generally, that means color to color, but here, we want to connect positive (+) to positive (+) and negative (-) to negative (-). The current will flow from the higher voltage source to the lower voltage.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:42 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by TesaLD View Post
We checked the polarity with the meter. Not sure what “output” numbers we should see, but it appears that Escape did not wire the Zamp port to reverse the polarity. They wired red to red and black to black. It should be red to black and black to red, right? So the next question is, do we just remove the “wire connectors” and switch the wires? Is it that simple (aside from my 6’1” tall husband trying to work in that very small space)?
Go by the metering, not the wire color, but be sure to check both the trailer side & the portable panel side. Colors don't matter as long as the polarity is the same.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:46 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Not having a Zamp port myself I can't help with the specifics. But solar panels work more or less the same, so this part is easy.

Put your panel in sunlight and using your meter check the output of the wires. The Voltage should be roughly 16-18V and you should be able to determine which wire is "+" and which is "-". Essentially the same as a battery with higher voltage than your trailer battery. Make a permanent note as to which wire is positive.

The more difficult part - at least for me with no Zamp as an example - is to determine that the panel "+" wire goes through the Zamp port to the "+" on the trailer controller. But there are many experienced owners who will jump in and help.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #25

If, as it appears, Escape did not wire the Zamp port as they told me, is the fix as easy as removing the “wire connector” and switching the Zamp wires around. In other words, it’s currently wired red to red and black to black. So, to reverse the polarity, we should “mate” the black wire with the red wire and the red with the black. Sorry, as I mentioned on Facebook, this is not my strong suit, my science knowledge is more along the plant/botany side.
Old 08-10-2020, 01:16 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
If, as it appears, Escape did not wire the Zamp port as they told me, is the fix as easy as removing the “wire connector” and switching the Zamp wires around. In other words, it’s currently wired red to red and black to black. So, to reverse the polarity, we should “mate” the black wire with the red wire and the red with the black. Sorry, as I mentioned on Facebook, this is not my strong suit, my science knowledge is more along the plant/botany side.
Essentially Yes. Correcting polarity in this case is easy as switching the wires as you describe.

But what worries us is your reference to colors. Your polarity checks should be color blind. You want Positive to Positive along the entire path from solar panel to controller input. I'm thinking that just like botany, colors are not always a good indicator.

One possible <generic> help: With your trailer panel in the sun and your portable panel NOT connected - use your meter on the input of the controller to verify which connector & wire is positive. It too should be around 16-18 volts. Label it, then follow that wire to the Zamp port. Put a dot of paint on the positive side. Then confirm that your panel positive mates with that marked side.

Hope that helps.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
I do not think it is an issue of Escape wiring the connector "wrong" , I don't think there is a standard for these connectors that I can see.
I don't worry about the color on these, i just go by male or female ends, the male end on panel should go to the female connector on trailer and be the same polarity and vice versa. That is where the multi-meter comes in handy.
If they do not match I wouldn't change the wiring in the trailer, I would either cut and splice the connector from panel or the better way would be to buy an adapter that will change the polarity.

https://www.amazon.ca/OptiMATE-CABLE.../dp/B00AHCWGOO
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 02:04 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If you don't want to rewire the trailer, ZAMP & others make SAE polarity reversing adapters.
Old 08-10-2020, 02:09 PM   #29

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I've helped several Escape owners with their portable panel connector, ie Zamp port.

On all of them, the owner asked Escape for a Zamp port to be added and Escape wired it to be a Zamp port - red to red, black to black. Since none of the owners had purchased a Zamp portable panel, none of them worked until the wiring was reversed to match the SAE standard wiring connection.

Hint. If you want to use a portable solar panel other than a Zamp -DO NOT ASK FOR A ZAMP PORT WHEN YOU ORDER THE TRAILER. You want to ask for a SAE solar port.

Below is a pic of a proper SAE solar port. On the trailer side, the female pin is positive and the male pin is negative. On the solar panel side, the female pin is negative and the male pin is positive.
Attached Thumbnails
SAE port.jpg  
Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #30

Thanks everyone!!! I just ordered SAE to SAE connectors that reverse the polarity. Much better than having my tall husband struggle in that confined space. Plus, it’s a three pack, so I’ll have an extra one for the “trade table” at the next rally (keeping a spare for myself).
Old 08-12-2020, 11:56 AM   #31

Hooray, although still confused, the panels are working! We got a polarity reverse adapter and problem solved. Just still confused because Dustin told me they wire them Zamp port in reverse (should make it “normal” then, right?) and Goal Zero said their panels are not reverse. So “normal” to “normal” shouldn’t need a polarity adapter, but they do. Ok, on to other things now. Thanks for all your help!