Stereo and speakers sound quality, and alternatives - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2016, 03:12 PM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... We have the Jensen ETI installed 4 spkr. unit/w CD player& mp3 port. Listens just fine inside with barely a sound outside. I like it like that!!!
Exterior Boom boxes are on an even basis with generators IMHO. When we watch a comedy Britcom DVD on the TV at night and get roaring with laughter I feel the Park Ranger will be by any moment to give us the heave ho. My old age must be showing. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:23 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Put it this way, my guitar playing and singing around a campfire are louder than most times a stereo is played, especially when everyone joins in singing.

I must just be more tolerant of others rights, because it has been very rare I have heard a stereo playing louder than I care for. Why should we be able to dictate how and what people do in the bounds of the law, especially if nobody is being harmed. We definitely need to practice tolerance more, and not get all bent out of shape over the little annoyances is life. How is a bit of music a bad thing, if it is kept at a reasonable level? This is my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

Besides, we are on this thread to talk about stereos, and not who likes, or does not like, them. Poutine
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 03:58 PM   #23

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
While I do not spend much time in the trailer, I am somewhat the opposite. I donor want to annoy my camping neighbors by listening to music outside. I go camping to enjoy nature, and that includes, to a degree, peace and quiet. I really don't want to listen to someone blaring country music, Mozart, or Kiss all day long.
I just use the volume control knob.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #24

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Put it this way, my guitar playing and singing around a campfire are louder than most times a stereo is played, especially when everyone joins in singing.
unfortunately there's no volume control knob for camp fire sing-a-longs.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 04:33 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
unfortunately there's no volume control knob for camp fire sing-a-longs.
Sure there is. As the beer and Scotch go down, the volume goes up.

Y'all have to come out and visit us for a campfire, and bring your good voices along too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-29-2016, 06:09 PM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:

I must just be more tolerant of others rights, because it has been very rare I have heard a stereo playing louder than I care for. Why should we be able to dictate how and what people do in the bounds of the law, especially if nobody is being harmed. We definitely need to practice tolerance more, and not get all bent out of shape over the little annoyances is life. How is a bit of music a bad thing, if it is kept at a reasonable level? This is my opinion, and I am sticking to it.

Besides, we are on this thread to talk about stereos, and not who likes, or does not like, them. Poutine
Jim, somewhat agree with you. But there is a reasonable level and there is an obnoxious level. That is why I used the word "blaring" in my post, as was the case when we were in Virginia a little over a month ago and some inconsiderate AH eight campsites away was playing country music that was louder in my campsite than the decibel level of a normal conversation.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #27

Quote:
Jim, somewhat agree with you. But there is a reasonable level and there is an obnoxious level. That is why I used the word "blaring" in my post, as was the case when we were in Virginia a little over a month ago and some inconsiderate AH eight campsites away was playing country music that was louder in my campsite than the decibel level of a normal conversation.
Oh yeah, when people are being completely disrespectful, that is just not called for.

I love watching kids when I am camping, a pure joy, but one time many years ago two mothers and about 6 kids camped across from us were just awful. I could not believe the mothers did not control them at all. Lots, rude, always in our campsite. One kid came and took away again we had for our kids who are small, and when I asked him why he was taking it, he just said "well they weren't using it" and just kept hoping, the mothers watching the whole thing.
Old 11-29-2016, 06:34 PM   #28

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
The one thing I miss with this setup is the ability to play the radio through the speaker. What would others suggest as a portable radio tuner to use with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris & Patricia View Post
As to a radio alternative, I suspect that there will be some kind of App on your mobile which depending on your plan's data allowance and cellphone coverage /wifi availibility would enable you to get radio on your mobile and then connect using blue tooth. I suspect that out there somewhere there would also be some kind of portable radio which can either be connected via bluetooth or, but less elegantly, by wire using the normal 1/8th inch speaker connection.
Mobile device apps with "radio" in their names often just provide streaming audio, which means you need a decently fast network connection and free (or extremely plentiful) data. I assume everyone has these, and they are of essentially no value to me - others like them.

Many mobile devices (probably most? maybe all?) have actual FM radios built into them; my outdated iPod Nano and cheap Android phone both have them. If there is a station within range, you can use the mobile device and connected amplifier/speaker instead of a dedicated FM radio, with no mobile network or WiFi involved, and no data allocation used. Of course, the antenna is likely junk (it's usually the headphone cord) and so reception is probably poor. These normally cover just the FM entertainment band - no AM, no weather radio.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:05 PM   #29

Trailer: 2016 - Escape 19 (2nd Gen), 2021 F150 Powerboost
We've got that new Boss radio but I don't know what the speakers are. We've only got the two speakers. I think it sounds just fine for normal good neighbour volume. We can connect our tv so that we get a little better sound. In our previous trailer, we had a portable, and I always thought that was the way to go, but with our new trailer there is nothing to pull out, set up, or an antenna to adjust. We just hit the button on the remote and we've got tunes. If I want to listen to it outside I open a window.
davescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 09:11 PM   #30

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Recently, we were spending a lovely, quiet Saturday in a nearby state park until a huge 5th wheel camper pulled in a couple sites down, and the next thing we knew, they had a full-blown college football tailgate going on - outside giant screen TV, meat on the grill, cooler full of beer, noticeably loud stadium rock music, lots of friends stopping by to watch a game or two or three, the whole nine yards. Actually, as far as sports FANatics go, they weren't really all that bad - everyone was friendly, having a good time - but it sure changed the atmosphere of that area of the campground until the last televised game ended that night. The only real down side was when they finally called it a night and went to sleep, they forgot to turn off some really bright white LED lights on the front of their camper. Way too bright all night long.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 10:14 PM   #31

Trailer: ex Casita/ 2016 Escape 21 '16 TRD 4x4
We have the stock ETI stereo and 4 speakers, and I'm very happy with them. We use CD's and the sound quality is good. You have to use the remote to use the stereo and it has a lot of functions. Glad I have it.
Jerry
jerryandmaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:08 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Thanks everyone for your input and comments. I didn't expect so many replies in just one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I think any radio installation should also include the weather channels or a separate weather radio, it does come in handy, particularly in the mid/south/west states.
Thanks for the reminder about a NOAA weather radio. I searched Amazon and found this one that has all the features I want and good reviews: http://a.co/5kJLJjv
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 05:07 AM   #33

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Thanks everyone for your input and comments. I didn't expect so many replies in just one day.

Thanks for the reminder about a NOAA weather radio. I searched Amazon and found this one that has all the features I want and good reviews: http://a.co/5kJLJjv
Or if you have a smart phone, you could get an app named "Weather Alerts" that uses the location services of the phone and audibly alerts you of any imminent weather danger wherever you are. Much less expensive than a radio and if you are away from the radio you are still going to be alerted.
Old 11-30-2016, 06:37 AM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
I bought that exact radio last July. I like it. The speaker quality is not the best, but neither is my hearing And you're right, it has all the features I was looking for too and it's much smaller than a shoe box which is great for storing it.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:05 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That does look like a nice weather radio and as I mentioned before, cell phone service is not as reliable as the NOAA network, nice find.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #36

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I worried quite a lot about speakers and radios before placing my order for a 19'. Ultimately went with customer supplied speakers and Bluetooth radio (with am/fm/weather) and Escape doing the install. The radio works great and the sound quality is quite good. However, in the 4 camping seasons that we have used the trailer, the radio has been used less than a handful of times. I tend to use my Bose wireless/Bluetooth speaker much more, usually sitting outside on a picnic table while we do outdoors stuff around the camp. I have several times checked the noise level from the Bose at various distances from the radio, and I have been surprised at how close you actually need to be to even know that it is on. (However, we tended to play the Bose at sound levels slightly quieter than those my teenage kids would choose.)

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:18 AM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
I am very fussy about sound and sound quality so a good system in our Escape was very important, but also realizing that the size and configuration of the trailer itself was not the ideal sound stage.

I agree that the standard head unit had good specifications and reviews so I opted for that on our build, but I was not impressed with the speakers so we just went for the head unit with the pre-wire option. The speaker wire installed was very small gauge (24ga) and I found it introduced considerable distortion into the system so I replaced all the speaker wires with 12 ga speaker wire throughout. We used 4 two way Pyle 4 ohm speakers (one in each corner) to provide even sound throughout, focusing on the treble and midrange. Finally I installed a subwoofer under the bed to fill in the lows. The result is exceptional sound that we are very pleased with.

In my previous thread there are some pictures and more info on the system http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...apen-5775.html
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 08:39 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
I worried quite a lot about speakers and radios before placing my order for a 19'. Ultimately went with customer supplied speakers and Bluetooth radio (with am/fm/weather) and Escape doing the install. The radio works great and the sound quality is quite good. However, in the 4 camping seasons that we have used the trailer, the radio has been used less than a handful of times. I tend to use my Bose wireless/Bluetooth speaker much more, usually sitting outside on a picnic table while we do outdoors stuff around the camp. I have several times checked the noise level from the Bose at various distances from the radio, and I have been surprised at how close you actually need to be to even know that it is on. (However, we tended to play the Bose at sound levels slightly quieter than those my teenage kids would choose.)
Sounds like they way we go too, and sound systems inside our last three trailers rarely got used.

I know a few folks who use Bose systems, and they sound quite good, but I am blown away at the sound quality from the small round UE Boom2 speakers. I should compare with someone's Bose some time.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Or if you have a smart phone, you could get an app named "Weather Alerts" that uses the location services of the phone and audibly alerts you of any imminent weather danger wherever you are. Much less expensive than a radio and if you are away from the radio you are still going to be alerted.
I kinda think the same way, though if a radio had a weather band, it would not be a bad thing.

I just use these reports as guidelines anyway, as they all seem to forecast doom and gloom all the time, just to be safe and cover their butts. Heck, if we paid heed to them, we would not have stayed on the Oregon coast last month during the worst weather they had seen in many years, and witnessed some of the biggest, baddest waves to be seen. It was incredible! At times it took all I could muster to stay standing with sustained winds nearing 100 mph blowing on me, but I musta said "WOW" a few hundred times. Lisa was ever scared in the truck as it was rocking pretty bad. Wouldn't have wanted to miss it for anything.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian G View Post
I replaced all the speaker wires with 12 ga speaker wire throughout.
How hard was it to run the new speaker wires from the back of the trailer to the front? Did you have to use the old wires to pull the new wires?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote