Taking a look at a small Escape - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 17A
Taking a look at a small Escape

Hi,

I am new to this forum as of today. My husband and I have no camper. At all. I have been looking at pop-ups and now I have decided to look at small(ish) lightweight campers. This morning I came across the Escape and particularly like the 17a 17b. I noticed there are some 19s in Texas, but no 17s anywhere close to this state and I'm not sure our Toyota Sienna can handle towing the 19'. That would be right at the weight limit in all spec categories. What do you think? I will appreciate all comments, suggestions and advice. Thank you. Candy
Dulci71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Welcome to the forum! You will get a wealth of information here. I suggest you contact Escape. They can tell you of owners in your region who are willing to show their trailers to you.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:42 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulci71 View Post
Hi,

I am new to this forum as of today. My husband and I have no camper. At all. I have been looking at pop-ups and now I have decided to look at small(ish) lightweight campers. This morning I came across the Escape and particularly like the 17a 17b. I noticed there are some 19s in Texas, but no 17s anywhere close to this state and I'm not sure our Toyota Sienna can handle towing the 19'. That would be right at the weight limit in all spec categories. What do you think? I will appreciate all comments, suggestions and advice. Thank you. Candy

If you call escape the will refer you to units in your area where owners would be happy to show you. A 17a is very light Not sure what you towing capacity is.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:01 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulci71 View Post
I noticed there are some 19s in Texas, but no 17s anywhere close to this state and I'm not sure our Toyota Sienna can handle towing the 19'. That would be right at the weight limit in all spec categories. What do you think?
The 19' would be too heavy for the Sienna if the trailer is carrying a lot of options and/or a lot of your stuff. The tongue weight would also be too high unless you are very disciplined in trailer loading, or you use a weight-distributing hitch system.

A 17' should be no issue for any Sienna suitably equipped for the full 3500 pound trailer weight rating of this model. We towed a trailer which is the length and weight of an Escape 17' and the width of an Escape 19' with our 2004 Sienna, and it worked well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The 19' would be too heavy for the Sienna if the trailer is carrying a lot of options and/or a lot of your stuff. The tongue weight would also be too high unless you are very disciplined in trailer loading, or you use a weight-distributing hitch system.
A 17' should be no issue for any Sienna suitably equipped for the full 3500 pound trailer weight rating of this model. We towed a trailer which is the length and weight of an Escape 17' and the width of an Escape 19' with our 2004 Sienna, and it worked well.

We concur with Brian. We have a 17A, pulled by a Honda Pilot, which has a very similar engine (HP and torque) to the Sienna, and it works very well. Our 17 is about 2000 lbs. dry weight, and we typically have about 600 lbs. more with full propane tanks, full fresh water tank, and our gear, food, clothes, etc.
If we had a 19, we could tow it, but would be limited on our gear, etc., weight, and would be unhappy with the performance up (and down) mountains.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 05:16 AM   #6

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
We spent many hours on the highways and back roads towing our 2007 17B with our 2005 Toyota Sienna van. Used a weight distribution hitch. We also installed air bags in the rear of the van. Towed like a dream and hardly knew it was behind us. Loved the combination of the van and trailer as the van could store lots of extra gear under cover, unlike a truck. If you decide to go with a 19, keep an eye out for an older used one ("Classics"). They weigh less than the new models.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:02 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17A
Thank you for the responses Re: pulling w/Sienna

I just want to thank everyone who has commented here. Since we live in Texas and are no where near Canada where these trailers can be found, if we want to take a look at one, we have to watch and wait and contact someone to see theirs. It does sound like the 17a, which is the model we are interested in, can be pulled just fine with our 2017 6 cylinder Sienna.
Dulci71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 04:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Taking a look at a small Escape

Escape can give you a referral for someone in Texas that will be happy to show you their trailer. John

Sorry, I realized I just said that earlier. [emoji846]
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 10:12 PM   #9

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
We were lucky enough to view two 17B models at the same campground earlier this year in FL. They are nice units, we could easily see ourselves in a 17B. I like the 17A even more but in these days of the Coronavirus having your own bath and shower could be a necessity since many campgrounds have closed theirs.
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote