tank level monitoring system SEE level ll - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-18-2022, 02:45 PM   #61

Trailer: 22' 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
Pondering this question, here is my opinion. ETI charges US$600 for the option. The components can be purchased elsewhere for about US$200. If I can find a local RV shop that has experience with the system and will install it for roughly $400 (or less) in labor, I'm way ahead because if it doesn't work right I can take it back to the local shop and expect them to make it right. If I buy the option from the ETI factory and it doesn't work right, I have the grief and aggravation that some of the folks posting on this thread have had.
I'm confused why ETI is not paying for the repairs to be done by a local repair shop. Is your trailer not under warranty right out the gate. If a component wasn't installed correctly and tested before shipment, that's on ETI, it shouldn't be on the customer to pay for/ fix themselves. I understand if a component they installed fails you'd have to go through warranty process for that manufacturer but is kind of sounds like some of these issues are related to installation, ie. ETI
Sean2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:49 PM   #62

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR guy View Post
So, it appears that the standard tank monitoring system is not dependable and neither is the optional SEE Level II system.
I don't think a single failure that should have been caught at the factory is proof that SeeLeveL is unreliable.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 07:53 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by glsails View Post
Somewhat reluctantly, we ordered the SeaLevel system on our 2021 - 21C. I am sorry we ordered it. It has not worked correctly yet and it is a relatively expensive option. The idea is great, love the digital readouts, and was really looking forward to accuracy but our experience has been less than optimum.

Our freshwater SeaLevel tank monitor seems to work pretty accurately after periods where it did not. But the grey and black always show that they are 33 to 38% full even when they are completely empty. They do seem to function at the limits of the tanks capacities, from 80% on up. I've contacted Escape about it and was told 'we're working on a solution'. That was last year and we've heard nothing since.
I'm sure that ETI is not working on a solution - they appear to be waiting for you to give up, and apparently you have. I would suggest, as I did earlier, contacting Garnet Instruments, and it appears that they actually care about customer service.

By the way, it's "SeeLeveL", not "SeaLevel".
Old 04-18-2022, 08:06 PM   #64

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean2a View Post
I'm confused why ETI is not paying for the repairs to be done by a local repair shop. Is your trailer not under warranty right out the gate. If a component wasn't installed correctly and tested before shipment, that's on ETI, it shouldn't be on the customer to pay for/ fix themselves. I understand if a component they installed fails you'd have to go through warranty process for that manufacturer but is kind of sounds like some of these issues are related to installation, ie. ETI
I could be wrong, but I think ETI's warranty covers the trailer itself but the gadget components (A/C, furnace, cooktop, tank monitors, fridge) might only have the warranties of those gadgets' respective mfrs.

IIRC that is what I was told by a dealer when I bought a new Rockwood (way back in 2005) travel trailer. If that's how Forest River does things, maybe that's the 'industry standard' for trailer mfrs. But like I said, I might be mistaken.

The thing is, when something like a See Level system doesn't work right, is it a defect with the system or is it installer error? I am guessing that ETI will cover the cost if it proves (via some local tech or our self-diagnosis) to be installer error, but not otherwise.
Old 04-18-2022, 08:17 PM   #65

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I have the same problem as others have had and Escape is talking to me about it. They asked me to send the diagnostic readings and I hope to hear back from them this week.

I have read on this forum that the manufacturer, Garnet, is really good to work with so I don't have much concern that the system will be fixed.
My Grey Water reads 33% when empty and it reads 100% before it is full.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 08:25 PM   #66

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
FWIW, my fresh water sensor worked fine for years, but lately never reads more than 2/3 full, even when water is flowing out of the vent. Can't blame that on installation or SeeLeveL ( since they are not SeeLeveL ).
Old 04-18-2022, 10:08 PM   #67

Trailer: 21NE 2022
For those of you who are having trouble with their SeeLevel systems, can you see how they are placed on the tanks? I don't have a trailer yet so I don't know if it's easy to see the tanks themselves.

I ask because I researched installation instructions and there seem to be two primary install errors. The first is install the wrong size of the sensor strip (they come in 12 inch and 6 inch models although they can be trimmed to fit the height of the tank), The second is to install near too much metal which seems to throw the sensors off. If you have access to the tanks, installation looks to be quite easy but I am guessing that it's not easy to reach the sides of each tank.

Less common installation issues seem to be not putting the sensor strip vertical along the side of the tank and not attaching the correct wires to the sensors and the monitor (should be the wires from the other tank monitoring system),
GTR guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 10:56 PM   #68

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Holy cow!! 600 bucks for a tank monitoring system?!??!?! When we got our 2017 trailer in late 2016, we paid $50 for them to install the Horst probes that we provided. Even though I knew at the time they wouldn't be the most accurate. Which they aren't. But, after using the trailer over the years, I've learned just how long I can dry camp before I need to dump the tanks. And refill the fresh water tank. I rarely rely on the gauges. And yeah, I use a flashlight to check down the toilet - far more accurate than the gauges!

Most of the time I'm at campgrounds with full hook ups. And if I'm not, I don't stay as long.

When you use your trailer enough, you'll get a good feel for how soon you fill up your tanks. I'd much rather use that $600 to pay for gas for the truck when I'm out camping.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2022, 11:18 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I have the same problem as others have had and Escape is talking to me about it. They asked me to send the diagnostic readings and I hope to hear back from them this week.

I have read on this forum that the manufacturer, Garnet, is really good to work with so I don't have much concern that the system will be fixed.
Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that ETI is working with Garnet, so Garnet is unable to help unless you contact them directly.
Old 04-18-2022, 11:27 PM   #70

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I rarely rely on the gauges. And yeah, I use a flashlight to check down the toilet - far more accurate than the gauges!
You're still measuring with a gauge, it's called an Eye Gauge! Most people carry two of 'em! Plus one Ol-Factory gauge that can be used to check the black tank status. Pretty handy gauges!

I know, my humor stinks tonight...
Old 04-19-2022, 12:53 AM   #71

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Thanks Mike G for the straight poop.
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 07:01 AM   #72

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Brian, my comment was misleading about what I am expecting for remedy of the SeeLevel problem.

To clarify, Escape is working with me and if they are able to fix the problem then that will be good. If not then I will contact Garnet and from what I have read on this forum, Garnet is good to work with and will be able to determine what is wrong and guide me to a fix.

It seems that I am not the only one that has a tank reading 33% when empty. Maybe it is problem that has a known cause and fix.

I am confident that in the end I will end up with a system that is more precise than the standard tank level system.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2022, 10:51 AM   #73

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Those reading 33% on the gray water tank - have you tried to raise the far side (away from the drain) of the camper? We too get 33% when we drain the gray tank while camper is level. We get a lower reading (don't recall if it goes to 0) if we raise the far side to create a favorable tilt for draining. It definitely drains a greater amount. That leads me to believe that gray tank does not drain fully - and some of the 33% is a feature and not a bug
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 12:52 PM   #74

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
SeeLevel II quit working same as described here. Sender Locations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
All I can say is that I got the See Level II with my trailer, and it has never worked so far and is not simple to understand.

The freshwater tank reading is just a random number generator, and the grey and black tanks both read 'ERR". I just started working on a fix for the issue with ETI, but initially all they have done is send my the See Level installation manual. Running the diagnostic per the manual doesn't lead me to much of an understanding so far. The grey and black tank diagnostics both report good power levels, but then report that the height of the two sensors as zero. I don't even know what that means.

Hoping for a next step from ETI this week.

Ours worked great for a while.

Sorry if this is already handled on the forum - I did not find it.

We have this EXACT failure (after a year of working properly) with our SeeLevel II system in a 21C. Tech support at Garret Instruments suggests unplugging the Fresh Water level sender as that is the likely culprit - as a diagnostic test.

However we have the abundant Factory installed Spray Foam, so nothing on the exterior of the Fresh or Gray tanks is visible. Consequently I do not know where the senders and their wiring are located.

Could someone either describe or post a photo of the sender locations for a 21 C's Fresh and Gray Tanks. The Black tank is easy - it's not covered with foam.

If this is posted or described elsewhere thanks for directing me to it.
Enright is offline   Reply With Quote