The Game of 21 Questions.... - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0 TA
The Game of 21 Questions....

So I figure until we really truly decide on which trailer we will end up with, why not ask some "can this be done?" questions. I searched the forum to see if anyone asked some of these question and did not readily find an answer. Not to say they aren't somewhere...

1. My thinking is that if they could put the larger 30 gal tanks on the 19', as well as the larger fridge, think how awesome that would be! Larger bed, same same fridge, same stove/oven...nirvana. Until people tell me it can't be done. I have looked at all 188 pages of "It's Friday!" (ok, maybe at the pictures) and didn't see that mentioned at all. Of course, I don't know the construction limitations, so...

2. Likewise, I haven't found out whether or not a powered fan can be put in the 19' restroom. We have found that to be particularly effective on displacing unwanted air in our Casita.

3. What do the additional vertical tail lights along the back window cost?

4. Does anyone carry 4 bikes on the back of the trailer? We have a 1Up rack that we have had for 2 years and would like to use that on the back to obviously carry our bikes.

5. Has anyone had speakers installed/wired but not had them install their stereo? We tend to stream music via iTunes or the web, so the need for a radio or CD player is not relevant to us, but it might be nice to have expertly installed speakers. It would be an abomination if I tried!!

6. Can you have white painted windows installed throughout the trailer? I have seen some photos that show a window or two, but not all.

7. Do you think it would be possible to have them install http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-50...N%3DB007HFX5NK. I like the concept of this, as it does not yellow over time. Or maybe not as quick?

I'll add questions as I think of them. Thank you in advance!!
nathanj04011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:20 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I can't possibly answer all your questions, but others can.

The 19' has a pretty small galley (counter space), adding that stove/oven would take the clear/available counter space down to about 4". I dealt with that in my Scamp. LOVE the larger counterspace in Ten Forward (99% of the size of the 21'), but it depends on HOW you need to use the galley.

Frankly, I like the black windows. I also have black decals which match all the black stuff on my truck (and the tires, etc. on the trailer.)
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanj04011 View Post
So I figure until we really truly decide on which trailer we will end up with, why not ask some "can this be done?" questions. I searched the forum to see if anyone asked some of these question and did not readily find an answer. Not to say they aren't somewhere...

1. My thinking is that if they could put the larger 30 gal tanks on the 19', as well as the larger fridge, think how awesome that would be! Larger bed, same same fridge, same stove/oven...nirvana. Until people tell me it can't be done. I have looked at all 188 pages of "It's Friday!" (ok, maybe at the pictures) and didn't see that mentioned at all. Of course, I don't know the construction limitations, so...

2. Likewise, I haven't found out whether or not a powered fan can be put in the 19' restroom. We have found that to be particularly effective on displacing unwanted air in our Casita.

3. What do the additional vertical tail lights along the back window cost?

4. Does anyone carry 4 bikes on the back of the trailer? We have a 1Up rack that we have had for 2 years and would like to use that on the back to obviously carry our bikes.

5. Has anyone had speakers installed/wired but not had them install their stereo? We tend to stream music via iTunes or the web, so the need for a radio or CD player is not relevant to us, but it might be nice to have expertly installed speakers. It would be an abomination if I tried!!

6. Can you have white painted windows installed throughout the trailer? I have seen some photos that show a window or two, but not all.

7. Do you think it would be possible to have them install Amazon.com: JR Products 50035 White Endura Range Vent with 1-1/2" Flange: Automotive. I like the concept of this, as it does not yellow over time. Or maybe not as quick?

I'll add questions as I think of them. Thank you in advance!!
1) Larger fridge is an option. No room for larger tank. I think the stove is an option.

2) Powered bath fan is now listed as a 19 feature (I think this took a mold change) - I think it is similar to the Casita.

3) Not much - ask, prices change.

4) No info. But others use the 1UP rack.

5) Several people have had this done.

6) I doubt it - have to ask ETI.

7) No one has to date. Have to ask ETI. Some of us have wskipped the vent hood completely.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:39 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
If you get stereo pre-wiring, you do not get speakers. Don't know if you can pay more for them.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 10:46 PM   #5

Use the search function for 1UP: http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...k-3396-11.html
Old 07-21-2015, 12:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I can't possibly answer all your questions, but others can.

The 19' has a pretty small galley (counter space), adding that stove/oven would take the clear/available counter space down to about 4". I dealt with that in my Scamp. LOVE the larger counterspace in Ten Forward (99% of the size of the 21'), but it depends on HOW you need to use the galley.

Frankly, I like the black windows. I also have black decals which match all the black stuff on my truck (and the tires, etc. on the trailer.)
Donna like our fold up table by door . That being said cut the table down so we can leave it up all the time . Now have more counter space and can get in and out of door a lot easier . I can measure it tomorrow but it must be about 11 or 12 in more counter space . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:35 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Measure and post a picture.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:41 AM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Measure and post a picture.
If for me can do in morning . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:43 AM   #9

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
On the tanks, you cannot, for instance, have the larger black tank that is now on a 19' installed on an older 19', so I would suppose that that precludes installing the 21' black tank on a 19'. You can always ask. You can get the bigger refrigerator for $200. See their options list and features list on their website.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 07:19 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
14 more questions to go.............
There are several Escapes in the northeast, have you seen any? There is a rally in September @ Niagara Falls, On. where there will be every Escape model present. You may want to visit and tour the units, we can answer a lot of your questions in person as well as you can also answer a lot just by looking. http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...15-a-4924.html
Old 07-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #11

You *can* get an additional fresh water tank inside the trailer under the bed - someone posted it on the forum - for winter camping I think.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
You *can* get an additional fresh water tank inside the trailer under the bed - someone posted it on the forum - for winter camping I think.
Actually I think it is the stock tank that they may install under the bed in lieu of outside underneath. Otherwise with dual fresh water tanks full, that far back would dramatically change your tongue weight.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:48 AM   #13

We have seen a 2013 19' twice now (bless Herb and Lois for their patience!), and have the opportunity to see a 21' this coming weekend. However, I keep reading "I had this or that done" and then everyone says "Shoot! why didn't I think of that?!" So I'm trying to ferret out all those questions before I do one of these . Granted, I have a long time (a year) to ask and get the answers to life's great perplexities, "shelf or no shelve in the wardrobe?" but it sure drives me crazy until I know...
Old 07-21-2015, 08:40 AM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I definitely would not put 4 bikes on the back of a trailer regardless of what rack is used, as you are putting too much weight on the receiver, with the center of gravity of the load moving further reward. Not only would the trailer's receiver not likely handle it, it would reduce the tongue weight to an unsafe level.

I have used my 1UP with 2 bikes a fair bit now, and even with the Andersen WDH, and a focus on keeping loaded weight forward, I still notice its effect on my Pilot. With my F-350 though, I feel nothing (at all ).

I would suggest the other two bikes be roof mounted on the tow.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:46 AM   #15

There would be too much weight even if we got 2 6v batteries which, as I understand, go in the storage box on the front? Don't those weigh a fair amount? I only have knowledge of how much my car battery weighs...no idea if the 6v weigh more or less. I was thinking that even 1 car battery comes close to weighing what 2 bikes would weigh...
Old 07-21-2015, 09:05 AM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
There would be too much weight even if we got 2 6v batteries which, as I understand, go in the storage box on the front? Don't those weigh a fair amount? I only have knowledge of how much my car battery weighs...no idea if the 6v weigh more or less. I was thinking that even 1 car battery comes close to weighing what 2 bikes would weigh...
Hi: nathanj04011... We only had 2 folding bikes on the back rack when one tried to make a get away on I95 north bound out of Florida. Good thing I had them locked onto the rack!!! It only suffered a few scrapes. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 19'
Quote:
I added concrete blocks in a front box depending on how many bikes I hung on the back of our Scamp. But I had to be careful with the single axle overload. On the 19' and '21 with dual axles you have plenty of reserve capacity on those axles to carry bikes and ballast.
Klem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:08 AM   #18

Nathan,
There are 2 areas of weight concern, the trailer tongue weight has to be kept to a point where there is no sway and the weight on the rear hitch receiver should not exceed 100 lbs I believe. 4 bikes and the hitch may well go beyond that. In addition there is a 100 lb weight limit in the front box, so adding concrete blocks is not a good idea either.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:37 AM   #19

Is the weight limit on the hitch due to the fact that the hitch is not welded to the frame, but rather welded to the bumper? I know that is the case on the Casita and they used to say do not add a hitch because the bumper was not strong enough but now on their website they say that a hitch and or weight can be added if the support for it was welded to the frame. May be subtle differences with not so subtle outcomes...
Old 07-21-2015, 10:50 AM   #20

Perhaps Escape can weld some extra, contact them for weight limits.