Tip for new buyers - order 'building materials' with your trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2021, 12:40 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Exclamation Tip for new buyers - order 'building materials' with your trailer

I am already ever so glad that I ordered a selection of the 'standard building materials' used by ETI in the construction of my trailer. Whether one is planning on extensive mods, may want to fabricate the odd small shelf or 'widget', or simply wants to be able to effect repairs in case of cosmetic damage .... the time to get these items which are modestly priced but very expensive to ship separate from the trailer is when you order your trailer.

As of when I ordered my trailer, ETI carefully packed these items for safe and secure delivery inside my trailer at no extra cost, and that's a huge benefit compared to ordering these ETI-specific materials shipped at a later date from Chilliwack - these things are light in weight but very bulky, and that's a killer when shipping. There's also long-term risk that patterns or colors may change, making future procurement of exact-matching finishes 'iffy'.

I'm intentionally omitting item prices I paid because that's subject to change, but IMO each was surprisingly reasonable, in most cases less than I could source 'close but not exact-match' products locally or via the interweb.

Examples:
  • Your chosen cabinet paneling (full 4' x 8' sheets must be cut into two 4' x 4' pieces for shipping in the trailer)
  • Matching interior trim pieces (flat, 'corner', cabinet-opening trim, etc; shipped in the trailer as full 8' long sticks)
  • Your chosen ETI stock upholstery fabric (by the yard)
  • Wall/ceiling-covering material (foam-backed vinyl)
  • Your chosen ETI stock Formica if not conveniently available local to you
Most of these items can be be very difficult if not impossible to source in the US, and again shipping can be a real disproportionate cost even if you can find them or are in Canada. IMO it's nice to have this stuff on hand to effect 'exact matching' mods or repairs.

Just a tip for your consideration, talk with your friendly ETI sales consultant about it for more complete and current info, Have Fun!
Old 09-14-2021, 12:43 PM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
If you custom order Formica the left over material will be placed under the mattress. No need to order extra.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Thumbs up Thanks I am in config phase right now

I will order extra materials. Great idea to get them at production and have them delivered in the trailer.
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Never heard of ordering extra building materials... I want anything I can get because of planned mods... Is there a set price for "materials" or is it case by case?
Old 09-25-2021, 05:00 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upfisk View Post
If you custom order Formica the left over material will be placed under the mattress. No need to order extra.
Same with custom fabric, if you order that. You'll get all the leftovers. (or we did in 2018)
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:54 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
... Is there a set price for "materials" or is it case by case?
The only answer I can (will) offer:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
.... I'm intentionally omitting item prices I paid because that's subject to change, but IMO each was surprisingly reasonable .... talk with your friendly ETI sales consultant about it for more complete and current info
Old 09-25-2021, 05:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Huh? more confused than ever... My build will have no "custom" fabrics , flooring countertops etc... I just want a straight answer if there is some fabric, laminate etc.. will they sell it to me?
Old 09-25-2021, 06:16 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
Huh? more confused than ever... My build will have no "custom" fabrics , flooring countertops etc... I just want a straight answer if there is some fabric, laminate etc.. will they sell it to me?
My original post was really aimed at the materials like Formica, fabric, paneling, trim pieces, and wall-covering that are not 'custom' but are ETI's 'standard' materials which they normally keep all 'cut-offs' / excess - again, best to talk to ETI about what you want, availability, quantities, current pricing, etc. It sounds like this is your situation.

Note that there's a large number of different interior cabinetry trim profiles and materials used in any given Escape trailer. If anticipating lots of mods I suggest finding the owner of a late-model trailer of your interest and studying that trailer in detail to get an idea of the different pieces used so you can understand and describe what you really want to your ETI salesperson (e.g. "I'd like some of the plastic trim used around the inside edges of the cabinet door openings"; or, "I'd like some of the L-shaped maple wood trim used on the vertical cabinet corners"; that's what I did, with that description the salesperson was able to find 'stick lengths' and costs and we went from there for me to specify quantities of each item I wanted on my build-sheet for delivery with my trailer).

I could not have done this without David Murphy graciously allowing me to study his 5.0 trailer in detail, taking pics and notes about its construction details. Obviously, much of what you'll want / need depends on what you envision doing in the way of mods. ETI did not have a 'list' of all materials used, I had to describe each item of my interest so they could develop a quote, but they also did not refuse to sell any item of 'building material' I requested, YMMV.

In regard to custom Formica, ETI has a published stock price for furnishing the 'non-standard' material on their options list for each trailer model. If you go that route you'll need to ask them how much you'll get as 'un-used excess' for your particular build options (e.g. do you order any countertop extensions?) or how to get more than that if you want, and associated cost.

In regard to custom fabric, ETI does not source that, you must provide it yourself at your own expense, they will counsel on required minimum quantity for your specific build and they'll return any unused excess.

Sorry, I didn't mean to be obtuse, hope that helps clarify
Old 09-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Excellent idea. I wish I’d thought of that in 2017
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote