Trading up to a 21(Casagrande) - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-28-2014, 10:51 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Trading up to a 21(Casagrande)

Well, it finally happened. Spurred by the prospect of a 2015 price hike and a desire to spend more time on the road we decided that we will be selling our 2012 17b (The Lark), and purchasing a 21 (tentatively named "Casagrande"). We did two 4-6 week trips last year and we hope to do even more trips of that length in the near future. We pick Casagrande up on Sept. 24 Of course this opens up several cans of worms:
  • When do we want to sell the Lark? We are leaving in March for about 6 weeks on the road, so not until after that. We had also planned on going to the Escape Rally in June, but if we get an offer before then, we might cancel the rally this year ;-(
  • We need a new tow vehicle. The 2008 Sienna is a fine tow vehicle for a 17B, but we need at least a Highlander for a 21. We like using a van to tow because then the bikes (even a recumbent tandem) can fit inside the van, with room left over. But the GMC / Chevy / Ford full size vans don't appeal much to me.
  • And of course we need to figure out the build sheet.

I will ask questions about towing under the towing topic, and eventually post the lark for sale in the classifieds. But this seems like a reasonable place to discuss the build sheet and the timing of the sale. Forum moderators (like Jim and Glen), do you agree?

Oh what fun is to be had!
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Congratulations Leon!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #3

Eric, you know this is all your fault? ;-) If we hadn't liked Blue so much, we probably would have bought a Casita and been blissfully ignorant of the possibility of a 21....
Old 02-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
Eric, you know this is all your fault? ;-) If we hadn't liked Blue so much, we probably would have bought a Casita and been blissfully ignorant of the possibility of a 21....
LOL - for that I will gladly take the blame. I hope you will come visit us with the 21 so we can see it!! But then.....

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 02-28-2014, 11:08 AM   #5

We would be happy to come see you. It would be easy enough to stop by on way south next winter. and, of course, you are always welcome in the Twin Cities.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:26 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
We have a build date of Sept 8th for our 19 and face the same question of when to sell our current 17 ft Casita. We like to camp in the Spring so we're thinking a June sale date which will give the new buyer some camping time. We'll spend ta nice hot Summer around the pool with the grandkids and hit the road to Chilliwack as soon as we have the new Escape. We are spending far too much time pouring over these discussions and adding and deleting items to the build list.

Harris & Ellen
Ellentob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:30 AM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've got no problem where you post the thread. I use the "Recent Discussions" list on the right. If it's in bold, I've not read it.
Easier to use than the list of forums and fewer keystrokes. Takes you to the first unread post in a thread automatically.
When you decide to sell though, it makes sense to use the for sale forum.
Old 02-28-2014, 12:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellentob View Post
We have a build date of Sept 8th for our 19 and face the same question of when to sell our current 17 ft Casita. We like to camp in the Spring so we're thinking a June sale date which will give the new buyer some camping time. We'll spend ta nice hot Summer around the pool with the grandkids and hit the road to Chilliwack as soon as we have the new Escape. We are spending far too much time pouring over these discussions and adding and deleting items to the build list.

Harris & Ellen
We had this same dilemma as we don't pick up our 2012 Escape 19' until May 28th. We sold our Casita in January and I've almost been regretting selling it so soon - 4 months without a trailer and without camping to too long! In a perfect world, selling one trailer and picking up another should happen much closer together!
Jane
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:20 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
As for the bikes, you can mount them on the rear of the trailer with the hitch mount option. The tandem can go on the roof of your vehicle. I realize it's nicer to keep them inside of a vehicle as I've had mine caked with bugs (roof rack) and tar (hitch mounted rack).

If you need a roof rack for your tandem, I love my Tandem Topper from Atoc - Draftmaster - Topper Racks and recommend it whole-heartedly.
bpjod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
For carrying bikes in the vehicle, I find that using a front fork mount with the front tire off keeps the height to a minimum. If you have a high seat post, you can use the quick disconnect to remove that. I feel safer with the bicycle inside the vehicle than outside.
Old 02-28-2014, 04:14 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Have you tried a recumbent tandem inside a Highlander? So many styles on recombents, usually that bottom bracket is out front making for a looooong bike. I have given up on a conventional tandem anywhere but on the roof, though I have seen a nice receiver mount with the front wheel toward the roof. Perhaps it could be used on the back of an Escape.

Welcome to the Escape 21 owners.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 04:30 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The desire to sell your old unit always contradicts the need for a new unit. When I sold my 2012 Escape 19 last June, it was prime camping time and I got my asking price. If I had used the Escape and waited until November when my new one was made, I probably would not have gotten my price.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:58 PM   #13

We were lucky as we sold our Scamp on eBay and dropped it off to the buyer in Bozeman, MT on the way out to pick up Blue.

We rode a tandem recumbent once and loved it -- (we both have regular recumbents.) I would love to buy the tandem, but transporting them seems so difficult.

Old 02-28-2014, 10:55 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
We need a new tow vehicle. The 2008 Sienna is a fine tow vehicle for a 17B, but we need at least a Highlander for a 21. We like using a van to tow because then the bikes (even a recumbent tandem) can fit inside the van, with room left over. But the GMC / Chevy / Ford full size vans don't appeal much to me.
There are other van options:
  • Mercedes Sprinter (previously sold as Dodge/Ram, also may still be sold as a Freightliner)
  • Ram ProMaster (if you can get past the hokey name, this is a Fiat Ducato commercial van, with front wheel drive and choice of gas or diesel power)
  • Ford Transit (not the little Transit Connect; rear-drive Euro commercial van with three engine choices, coming soon)
  • Nissan NV1500 (like a Titan pickup with a van body)
All will be big and typically bare cargo vans inside, but all can be fitted with interiors, all will have more space than even the Sienna, all will likely tow the Escape 21' (although some might not meet performance expectations with some engines)... and I wouldn't want to drive any of them as my daily-use car.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:18 PM   #15

We have a couple of recumbent tandems. A Rans Screamer, and an Osell custom Tandem that is a long wheelbase with the crank behind the front wheel. We like them both, but they are long. They will fit in the Sienna if we remove the front console, In both cases we have to take the front wheel off and mount the fork in a front fork mount. Before we had the Sienna, we used a draftmaster rack mounted in the hitch. When we carried the Screamer that way, we always removed the seats to improve the air flow. So it took a bit more time than just rolling the bike out of the van and putting the front wheel back. I don't think even my single recumbents would fit in a Highlander. When we are traveling for extended periods we will probably use folding single bikes.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
There are other van options:
  • Mercedes Sprinter (previously sold as Dodge/Ram, also may still be sold as a Freightliner)
  • Ram ProMaster (if you can get past the hokey name, this is a Fiat Ducato commercial van, with front wheel drive and choice of gas or diesel power)
  • Ford Transit (not the little Transit Connect; rear-drive Euro commercial van with three engine choices, coming soon)
  • Nissan NV1500 (like a Titan pickup with a van body)
All will be big and typically bare cargo vans inside, but all can be fitted with interiors, all will have more space than even the Sienna, all will likely tow the Escape 21' (although some might not meet performance expectations with some engines)... and I wouldn't want to drive any of them as my daily-use car.
Thanks for the suggestions, Brian. I don't do a lot of day to day driving, but I have come to value comfort when traveling. Maybe I can find a customized van that has comfy driver and passenger seats, with a nicely finished cargo area.

Tags
build sheet, escape 21