Truck Help for 5.0TA needed - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2018, 11:45 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Hey Tford, that is exactly what we're doing, checking on Autotrader and then dealer by dealer to try and get a 1-2 year old Ford F150, there are tons to choose from as they are extremely popular vehicles in Ontario and we can generally save between $7-10000 Cdn compared to buying new. One item I have not seeing discussed here and I would like to ask about, my brother in law, a long time 5th wheeler told me its very useful to get a truck with the built in trailer brake controller, he says they work better and they are much more user friendly to operate while driving, this obviously narrows down my choices but there are a few around? Also while on the subject I noticed that almost all the fords i have looked at have the Pro trailer Backup Assist knob, I am very experienced backing up trailers just wondering how that gizmo works with 5th wheels?
Hi: marsman... Sorry I can't comment on how that "Gizmo" works, but you can look at short term lease vehicles from rental agencys as a source. Trucks are usually low kms and look for one not to scratched up in the box. You can have it lined with black spray on bed liner if not already done. They usually have complete service records and some warranty left!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 12:17 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
Perry, just curious, how do you lock out gears on the F-150?
You can just put it in "M" and use the + and - button on gear shift to manually shift. I don't think there's any other way to "lock out" 6th.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:02 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Quote:
Hey Tford, that is exactly what we're doing, checking on Autotrader and then dealer by dealer to try and get a 1-2 year old Ford F150, there are tons to choose from as they are extremely popular vehicles in Ontario and we can generally save between $7-10000 Cdn compared to buying new. One item I have not seeing discussed here and I would like to ask about, my brother in law, a long time 5th wheeler told me its very useful to get a truck with the built in trailer brake controller, he says they work better and they are much more user friendly to operate while driving, this obviously narrows down my choices but there are a few around? Also while on the subject I noticed that almost all the fords i have looked at have the Pro trailer Backup Assist knob, I am very experienced backing up trailers just wondering how that gizmo works with 5th wheels?
I wouldn’t let not having a trailer brake controller ruin a good deal, most all trucks that don’t have it usually have an empty plug under the dash to wire in an aftermarket unit and/or any good RV dealer can put one in. Reviews of the manufacturer installed ones are mixed, and a good Tekonsha Prodigy will only set you back $100 or so...
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
One item I have not seeing discussed here and I would like to ask about, my brother in law, a long time 5th wheeler told me its very useful to get a truck with the built in trailer brake controller, he says they work better and they are much more user friendly to operate while driving, this obviously narrows down my choices but there are a few around?
I can't see how the built-in controller would be any easier to operate, except that it is well-located on the dash. Many aftermarket controllers and mounted in locations which are difficult to see and to reach, but they don't need to be.

Quote:
Also while on the subject I noticed that almost all the fords i have looked at have the Pro trailer Backup Assist knob, I am very experienced backing up trailers just wondering how that gizmo works with 5th wheels?
Pro Trailer Backup Assist doesn't work with a fifth-wheel at all. It is programmed to handle a trailer hitched behind the bumper, watching the trailer using a camera in the tailgate; with the trailer hitch in the bed it can't see the hitch area and wouldn't be programmed correctly to control it.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #45

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

Pro Trailer Backup Assist doesn't work with a fifth-wheel at all. It is programmed to handle a trailer hitched behind the bumper, watching the trailer using a camera in the tailgate; with the trailer hitch in the bed it can't see the hitch area and wouldn't be programmed correctly to control it.

Yes, but some dealer sales folks may try to convince you otherwise. Don't be fooled!
Old 11-18-2018, 03:10 PM   #46

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
You can just put it in "M" and use the + and - button on gear shift to manually shift. I don't think there's any other way to "lock out" 6th.
In the “M” mode you can Shut gears down from the top and it will shift normally using only enabled gears. There’s also a sport mode if you wanna play. Personally all I do is engage “Tow” mode and let the transmission management software do the work. The transmission defaults to the standard mode when ever you shut it down. Doesn’t take long to figure out I forget to engage the Tow mode when moving out with trailer, it makes that much of a difference. By the way I’m often in 6th gear when towing. 😎
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:11 PM   #47

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
One item I have not seeing discussed here and I would like to ask about, my brother in law, a long time 5th wheeler told me its very useful to get a truck with the built in trailer brake controller, he says they work better and they are much more user friendly to operate while driving, this obviously narrows down my choices but there are a few around?
A factory brake controller will be integrated into your truck's computer and dash display which is nice. If a truck doesn't have the factory brake controller, it can sometimes be added after the fact by a dealer and fully integrated into the system - worth checking with a dealer about this if you find a particular truck you're interested in that doesn't have one..
Old 11-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #48

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
The one change I would make to our F150 would be to have a larger, numerically rear end, i.e. a 3.92 instead of a 3.31. Performance is NOT an issue with the 3.5 Echoboost pulling even our 6,500 pound Bigfoot.

With our 3.31 (?) I need to lock out 6th gear because it gets poorer gas mileage at 60 mph and the rpm's are too low pulling in 6th gear.

Perry
The axle code for your vehicle is on the door jam sticker.
Codes for 2016 F150:
3:15. 15/L5
3:31. 27/L3
3:55. 19/L9
3:73. 26/L6
The number code is for non limited slip/ the alpha numeric is for electronic locking axles. Codes may be the same for your truck.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:44 PM   #49

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5 TA
Cool F150 3.5L ecoBoost doesn't notice hills

Quote:
Chotch, we are considering the F-150 with 3.5 engine as a tow vehicle. What's your take on performance in mountain driving, specifically steep, twisty-turny roads?
Bought a 2018 F150 with 3.5L ecoBoost and MaxTrailer Tow package. If I don't mind burning fuel, I can tow uphill, 8% grade, at 75mph. The ecoBoost gives you what seems like unlimited power in exchange for really terrible fuel efficiency if you try to go uphill too fast, but you can do it.
KatrinaOstby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:50 PM   #50

On the 2018, you don't even need to go into "M" gear. Just hit the down arrow on the paddle shifter and the numbers which are illuminated will go down by 1 for each press. On the 10 speed, I can lock out 8-10 with just 3 button presses.
Old 11-18-2018, 04:57 PM   #51

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres View Post
All, We are (hopefully) in the final process of getting our 5.0 order together. Unfortunately, we do not have a tow vehicle yet and are in the process of researching trucks. The order form requires us to provide information on our truck. My question is, if you have a 5.0TA is there an issue with changing to a different truck? ...
Part of the reason to select a truck before completing your order is that truck rails are so high now-a-days, so if you buy a 4x4, you may need the lift kit. At least that is what Escape advised me when I was placing my order and having trouble getting my new truck. When I needed to finalize my built list, I measured a truck like the one I was trying to purchase, gave Escape the stats on that truck, and ordered the lift kit just in case I ended up with a 4x4 instead of the 4x2 I wanted.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #52

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Perry, just curious, how do you lock out gears on the F-150?
We have a 2015 F150 XLT. The XLT comes with a column mounted shifter, just like the ones installed on most cars for the last half-century or more. There is a button on the column (+ or -) that allows you to lock out gears when in drive, or you can shift into "M" and use the same button. I find "M" to be rather needless.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-18-2018, 05:28 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
The axle code for your vehicle is on the door jam sticker.
Codes for 2016 F150:
3:15. 15/L5
3:31. 27/L3
3:55. 19/L9
3:73. 26/L6
The number code is for non limited slip/ the alpha numeric is for electronic locking axles. Codes may be the same for your truck.
My door post says "27" so I DO have a 3.31. Thought I had, but wasn't sure.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-18-2018, 05:43 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I always thought a lower gear ratio was better for gas and quickness and higher for towing capacity, the opposite of what you indicated?
A lower gear ratio (3.31) is better for fuel mileage. A higher gear ratio (4.11) gives you a lower 1st gear, better for pulling stumps and allows you to squeal the tires easier, but poorer gas mileage.

However, this isn't 1957. Today's engines have a much wider power curve and six or more speed transmissions. I would prefer a truck that get's its maximum gas mileage at 65 mph, not 80. How many overdrives are in Ford's 10 speed? An overdrive that works best over 70 mph is worthless to me.

A ten speed also gives you closer ratio gears, assuming both 1st and 10th are the same ratio as 1st and 6th in my six speed 2015 transmission. I like the idea of close ratio gears.

We're currently in Oakhurst CA in our first private campground in 11 days. Our 170 watt solar panel was at 10.4 volts this morning and we need to charge the batteries up for our final three days camping. Tomorrow we head into Yosemite for three days and then stop and visit two different friends on the way home. It's been a great maiden voyage!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-18-2018, 05:47 PM   #55

Lightbulb "M" is for Manual Shifting

Quote:
... I find "M" to be rather needless. ...
"M" is useful if you want to tell the vehicle exactly which gear to be in and when to shift.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatrinaOstby View Post
"M" is useful if you want to tell the vehicle exactly which gear to be in and when to shift.
We're splitting hairs here.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 PM   #57

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Today's 8 and 10 speed transmissions have much greater capability than older ones with fewer speeds. The difference between each successive gear is much less than older transmissions, which results in smoother shifting. When a downshift is needed for more power, it's not a big lurching downshift but just a smooth, much less noticeable shift.

With a higher gear ratio in the differential you have more power in lower gears, helps with acceleration, but in top gear at highway speed you will be running at higher rpms so gas mileage will be a bit less. I opted for the 3.21 gear ratio in our new truck - the 5.0TA is well below the max tow weight rating so it has plenty of power to spare, and when we are not towing we'll get better highway mileage. Today's electronic transmissions have a tow mode that usually locks out the highest gear and also optimizes shifting points for pulling a trailer, they can easily handle a moderate weight trailer with any of the differential gear ratios.

I really like the 8 speed transmission in our new Ram. And since it's electronic it has capabilities my old truck lacked - going downhill on mountain grades it automatically will downshift as needed to keep your speed down, and it tends to learn how you like to drive and adjusts to your driving style, it has many different shift patterns that it can vary as needed.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:08 PM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My towing avg increased from 12 to 14 when I got the newer Ram with the 8 speed and 3:21 rear vs the 2009 5 speed and 3:33 rear- same hemi in both.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:40 PM   #59

Quote:
A ten speed also gives you closer ratio gears, assuming both 1st and 10th are the same ratio as 1st and 6th in my six speed 2015 transmission. I like the idea of close ratio gears.
The ratios of the 10-speed are more closely spaced, but not that close. Rather than match them that way, or just add more ratio spread (lower low and taller high), Ford has done some of each.

The spread of ratios from first to top gears is 6.04:1 in the F-150's 6-speed (6R80), and 7.34:1 in the new 10-speed (10R80) - first gear is lower and 10th is higher than the old 6th, so the engine can run at a more desirable speed at both ends of the road speed range.

Still, that span is split into ten ratios instead of only six, so they are still closer-spaced.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Today's electronic transmissions have a tow mode that usually locks out the highest gear...
A good tow mode does not lock out any ratios (gears) - it just uses the most appropriate. Often that does mean using lower ratios, but sometimes (under light load) it is the highest ratio.

Tags
5.0, axle, hitch, truck