TV antennas - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
TV antennas

what is the difference between the jack antenna and the amplifier antenna. we were not go to get a TV set up, but after reading about some one holed up for 6 days with rainy whether
thought we would double think this. thanks.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 02:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
The Jack has a built-in amplifier.

Basically there are 3 ways to pull in signals that aren't close to you. Use a small antenna with an amplifier. Use a larger antenna, the 4 bay or 8 bay type, without an amplifier. Or use an amplifier with a large antenna when you're trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat, sort of a hail mary situation for getting a marginal signal.

I use a 4 bay antenna on the road, but it's bulky and needs to be set-up. I've read so many good comments about the Jack that I'm ready to switch before my next major trip.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 04:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
I didn't know much about TV antennas in setting up the build sheet but in reading this forum, I decided to go with the Jack antenna. A glowing review from Tractors sealed the deal and after being parked in one location for 4 weeks, it really came through. Though I had said I would be happy if I got the one local channel, I got 24 stations and the picture quality on a Samsung 19" TV beat anything here at home with cable. It was a very good choice. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
and the picture quality on a Samsung 19" TV beat anything here at home with cable. Loren
Not an unusual situation. My den TV is connected to both cable and my 8 bay OTA antenna. Switch back and forth between the two and the antenna does have a better resolution picture.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 05:10 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Over the Air signal is true High Definition signal. Cable is compressed and does not deliver true high def, even though a lot of cable companies charged for high def.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 10:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
My den TV is connected to both cable and my 8 bay OTA antenna. Switch back and forth between the two and the antenna does have a better resolution picture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Over the Air signal is true High Definition signal. Cable is compressed and does not deliver true high def, even though a lot of cable companies charged for high def.
All digital video transmission systems use compression - the data volumes would be impractical otherwise. The surprise for many of us was that over-the-air (OTA) broadcasters have generally chosen to transmit at higher resolution than most satellite and cable systems (1080 instead of 720), and also use less aggressive compression. If you can receive OTA broadcasts without problems (data dropouts that cause freezing, audio dropouts, loss of resolution, or areas of the image not updating in synch), they are great quality.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:45 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The Jack has a built-in amplifier.

Basically there are 3 ways to pull in signals that aren't close to you. Use a small antenna with an amplifier. Use a larger antenna, the 4 bay or 8 bay type, without an amplifier. Or use an amplifier with a large antenna when you're trying to pull a rabbit out of a hat, sort of a hail mary situation for getting a marginal signal.

I use a 4 bay antenna on the road, but it's bulky and needs to be set-up. I've read so many good comments about the Jack that I'm ready to switch before my next major trip.

Ron
4) Or use a directional antenna.

I think the Jack offers a nice combination: a relatively small, directional antenna with an amplifier and a signal strength display.

Regards,

Matt
Old 10-24-2015, 12:52 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loren & Cathy View Post
I didn't know much about TV antennas in setting up the build sheet but in reading this forum, I decided to go with the Jack antenna. A glowing review from Tractors sealed the deal and after being parked in one location for 4 weeks, it really came through. Though I had said I would be happy if I got the one local channel, I got 24 stations and the picture quality on a Samsung 19" TV beat anything here at home with cable. It was a very good choice. Loren
I'm delighted when I'm right! Had that happen last year too!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote