U-shaped Dinette Question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 01-12-2021, 01:50 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: akron, Ohio
Trailer: 2021 5.0 on order for May
Posts: 43
U-shaped Dinette Question

We are working on our 5.0 build sheet with Joldie and have a question regarding the u-shaped dinette that we are getting. I believe it is the same size in the 5.0 as the 21c. My question is this-Joldie asked us if we wanted a 12", 15" or 18" filler board to make it into more of a lounge area. Wondering if anyone that has a u-shaped dinette in one of these models with filler board and cushion of ANY size would be willing to share a photo and/or opinion on the size they chose and the usefulness of that size.
__________________

okhcolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:08 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Gravois Mills, Missouri
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Posts: 50
We have a 12” filler board and cushion. We also have the standard table mount. We took out the large table and use a 24” round table from our boat on the front pole base. It works well for us, as we can still leave it set up for meals or snack while we lounge. However, we are 2nd owners so added that mod in our own. I made slip covers for all cushions for easy laundering, as our dog thinks part of the lounge is her personal space!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 41EA2010-3B3B-4774-924F-C9C057835CE8.jpg (219.2 KB, 37 views)
__________________

Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:33 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
TTMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhcolot View Post
We are working on our 5.0 build sheet with Joldie and have a question regarding the u-shaped dinette that we are getting. I believe it is the same size in the 5.0 as the 21c. My question is this-Joldie asked us if we wanted a 12", 15" or 18" filler board to make it into more of a lounge area. Wondering if anyone that has a u-shaped dinette in one of these models with filler board and cushion of ANY size would be willing to share a photo and/or opinion on the size they chose and the usefulness of that size.
Please keep in mind the 4 person dinette tables are pretty small when you have 4 place settings to start with. You can reduce the size of the table for more seating, but, not dining seating.

Originally, my plan was to get the standard tabletop, and a u-shaped dinette tabletop. I purchased extra fabric and was not going to have Escape install either tabletop. Figuring I could make it so I could convert from regular dinette to u-shaped dinette as desired.

After I got the actual dimensions of the u-shaped table top, and watched several of Escapes live streams, I realized that it wasn't worth being able to convert to the u-shaped dinette, as it wouldn't be a practical space.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:50 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: akron, Ohio
Trailer: 2021 5.0 on order for May
Posts: 43
We are doing the Lagun table mount with what will be a smaller table, I think it’s about 25” x 30-some inches, rather than the full sized table which is what ETI installs with that mount. I’ve seen the dinette in person, and I know it’s not huge, but would like a place other than the bed for us to lounge with our pups, who will probably be either wet or dirty. We are doing Ultra Leather for easy clean up.
okhcolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 08:55 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
TTMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Please keep in mind the 4 person dinette tables are pretty small when you have 4 place settings to start with. You can reduce the size of the table for more seating, but, not dining seating.

After I got the actual dimensions of the u-shaped table top, and watched several of Escapes live streams, I realized that it wasn't worth being able to convert to the u-shaped dinette, as it wouldn't be a practical space.
Here is a screenshot of the Escape 5.0 showcase video showing the u-shaped dinette with two placemats on the table. This gives you an idea of how little table space you have when you add extra seating.

Escape 5 u-shaped table.JPG

Here is the standard dinette table in the Escape 19 with two placemats. I believe the standard 5.0 table is and inch or two wider and 4 inches longer than the 19's table. Still, even the standard 5.0 table is small for 4 people dining.

Escape 19 table.JPG
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Perryb67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Posts: 958
Will Escape still modify the u-shaped dinette so the rear bench is 22" deep rather than 19"? Ours is 22" deep so we could have a 4" thick seat back cushion, so when sitting our backs don't hid the rear window knobs, plus you get more storage underneath the bench that we use.

Enjoy,

Perry
__________________
Those who know everything use pens. Intelligent people use pencils.
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:07 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
C&G in FL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Tampa Bay Area, Florida
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Posts: 2,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Please keep in mind the 4 person dinette tables are pretty small when you have 4 place settings to start with. You can reduce the size of the table for more seating, but, not dining seating.

Originally, my plan was to get the standard tabletop, and a u-shaped dinette tabletop. I purchased extra fabric and was not going to have Escape install either tabletop. Figuring I could make it so I could convert from regular dinette to u-shaped dinette as desired.

After I got the actual dimensions of the u-shaped table top, and watched several of Escapes live streams, I realized that it wasn't worth being able to convert to the u-shaped dinette, as it wouldn't be a practical space.
In the case of the 5.0TA, without the wrap around dinette, the batteries would be under the passenger side dinette bench as would my inverter, losing much needed outside storage space. Given that there are only two of us and I have no desire to host a “dinner party” and also given that I want a large table and not some undersized cocktail table, and also given that I do not wish to lounge INSIDE the trailer, we would again choose the wrap around dinette. The table is still large enough for four people to play cards and have drinks and conversations, so talk of placemats has no significance to me. IMO, this all comes down to HOW DO YOU plan to use your trailer.
__________________
What a long strange trip it’s been!
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:35 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
Please keep in mind the 4 person dinette tables are pretty small when you have 4 place settings to start with. You can reduce the size of the table for more seating, but, not dining seating.

Originally, my plan was to get the standard tabletop, and a u-shaped dinette tabletop. I purchased extra fabric and was not going to have Escape install either tabletop. Figuring I could make it so I could convert from regular dinette to u-shaped dinette as desired.

After I got the actual dimensions of the u-shaped table top, and watched several of Escapes live streams, I realized that it wasn't worth being able to convert to the u-shaped dinette, as it wouldn't be a practical space.
There have been a couple of expandable tables that add flexibility to seating and eating. I have a sliding table from Marine Teak. While it appears that my model is no longer offered, if I was to do it over, I'd purchase the Nautic Star Wing version - the slides on mine tend to bind. That said, the advantage is the table goes from 22" X 49" closed to 44" X 49" in the open position.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.jpg (184.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0836.jpg (178.7 KB, 19 views)
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:37 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
TTMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
IMO, this all comes down to HOW DO YOU plan to use your trailer.
I agree.

It is important for people to realize exactly what size table they end up with, so they can make an informed purchase decision.

I don't ever plan on having a large party around the table playing cards. I do feel I may have one or two guests joining my wife and I camping. In that case we would want to be able to seat 3 or 4 at the dining table for a meal. Something that just isn't practical with a u-shaped dinette IMO.

I was all gung-ho about a u-shaped dinette, until I actually received the table measurements and taped them out on a card table.

As you said, this all comes down to HOW DO YOU plan to use your trailer.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
JeffreyG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
Trailer: 2022 Escape 19
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
After I got the actual dimensions of the u-shaped table top, and watched several of Escapes live streams, I realized that it wasn't worth being able to convert to the u-shaped dinette, as it wouldn't be a practical space.

Do you have a link, or can you post what the dimensions are for both the seating and the table in the Escape-19 with the U-shaped dinette?


We tend to use an interior table as a place to lounge during inclement weather more than anything, and so I have some interest in a U-shaped dinette. But I know the overall space in the E-19 is pretty limited.


Also, anyone with pictures of the options for support? If doing the standard dinette I think I would opt for the marine pedestal table support. With a U-shaped dinette, how does that compare to the Lagun?


Any other differences? Would either option be just as easy to make into a bed if needed?


Thanks!
JeffreyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: akron, Ohio
Trailer: 2021 5.0 on order for May
Posts: 43
I really appreciate all of the replies and the photos. I've been inside both the 21c and the 5.0, so I am aware of the size of the dinette, and I realize it is not large. That being said, we have chosen the u-shaped dinette because there are only two of us, and we have two dogs who like to lounge on our sofa at home with us. We don't plan on hosting dinner parties in the trailer, and if we do want to have guests for dinner we figure we can just eat outside or eat in their trailer, which will most likely be much larger and more suited for guest than ours. Part of our attraction to camping and trailering is to be by ourselves most of the time, so I guess if you are very social and enjoy entertaining this setup may not work for you. It's like buying a house without an extra bedroom for guests!
okhcolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: akron, Ohio
Trailer: 2021 5.0 on order for May
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Will Escape still modify the u-shaped dinette so the rear bench is 22" deep rather than 19"? Ours is 22" deep so we could have a 4" thick seat back cushion, so when sitting our backs don't hid the rear window knobs, plus you get more storage underneath the bench that we use.

Enjoy,

Perry
Yes, they will do a 4" deep back cushion and that is what we will be doing.
okhcolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
TTMartin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Punta Gorda, Florida
Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Do you have a link, or can you post what the dimensions are for both the seating and the table in the Escape-19 with the U-shaped dinette?


We tend to use an interior table as a place to lounge during inclement weather more than anything, and so I have some interest in a U-shaped dinette. But I know the overall space in the E-19 is pretty limited.
I got the dimensions from Joldie over the phone. Since we had decided against the getting the second table top, when the paper with the measurements got misplaced I didn't follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Also, anyone with pictures of the options for support? If doing the standard dinette I think I would opt for the marine pedestal table support.
Here's a photo of my Escape 19 table with the Springfield pedestal.
118616631_10164175387750693_8499929118837086508_o.jpg


Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
With a U-shaped dinette, how does that compare to the Lagun? Any other differences? Would either option be just as easy to make into a bed if needed?
I can't speak for the Lagun mount. I do put my table top down for travel and back up for use. That includes quick stops for lunch. It is extremely easy to raise and lower the table top with the Springfield pedestal.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 08:36 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Ronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Eagan, Minnesota
Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 768
I think size (occupants and trailer) is relevant here, in the OP's case we are talking about a 5.0 which is 4" wider than a 19.

We have a 5.0 with the U dinette and a Lagun mount. Our table has all four corners cut and we haven't considered it to be too small. We are usually by ourselves, but when we have had others we have sat 4 at the dinette.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Will Escape still modify the u-shaped dinette so the rear bench is 22" deep rather than 19"? Ours is 22" deep so we could have a 4" thick seat back cushion, so when sitting our backs do not hid the window knobs, plus you get more storage underneath the bench that we use.
When planning our trailer we went with the U Shaped dinette and the Lagun table mount . At the time we did consider increasing the rear bench width as the standard back wall bench is very narrow and uncomfortable (not necessarily for eating, but other activities). Rather than give up that three inches of floor space under the table we went with the standard size bench. I must agree 1) sitting any length of time (for us that is watching TV) on that narrow seat is uncomfortable. 2) putting the table down thereby creating a "lounge" was not at all comfortable for us either.

For the solution, I built an extension for the rear bench that works great for us. I started with a 5" extension but found it was too narrow and then I went to 7". That seems to be just right.

We can use the extension with the table on or off.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7/what-did-you-do-for-your-escape-today-16324-76.html#post330419

Our rear seat's backrest cushion thickness is the standard ETI size for the U-dinette (2"?). We put a 2" noodle behind the backrest and which is enough to keep our shoulders away from the knobs (we do hit it without the noodle) also the leaned cushion is more comfortable than sitting with the back cushion straight up and down.

Be mindful that the larger the rear seat's bottom cushion the less space you'll have under the table for feet and the table size will likely be affected as well (smaller).

We love our Lagun mount.


https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8/lagun-table-mount-install-thoughts-12137-14.html#post320560

If getting the U dinette I would also advise considering splitting the rear bench. Perry67 had his done at the factory, I did ours as a mod as I was not aware when ordering it was an option. Some don't access it that often, I do.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f20/2019-interior-changes-14423-24.html#post335761

As others have said, this all comes down to HOW DO YOU plan to use your trailer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colleen at Work in Sweet Suites 2019 - #2.jpg (162.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 3 Rear Bench Extension (2).jpg (16.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg Splt Rear Seat Pass Open IMG_20200512_112931.jpg (9.3 KB, 115 views)
__________________
The Sweet Suite
Ronn and Colleen
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 12:33 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Location: akron, Ohio
Trailer: 2021 5.0 on order for May
Posts: 43
Thanks for all the great info Ronn! We are having ETI split the back bench as well as the cushions and the extension mod you did looks like the one ETI does, complete with the little notched cutout for the Lagun table mount.
Are you able to use the table with the seat extension in place? I'm guessing not, that the notch is just to accommodate the mount when you are not using it.
If our dogs liked to lay on the floor, or either of us had big feet, I'd probably opt for more floor space, but since they don't and we don't I think we will still go for a deeper back bench, although what you have done seems to be really a good idea, plus less $$. Thanks again for sharing, very helpful!
okhcolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Ronn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Eagan, Minnesota
Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Posts: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhcolot View Post
------------- Are you able to use the table with the seat extension in place? I'm guessing not, that the notch is just to accommodate the mount when you are not using it. -----------
Yes, we are able to use the extension with the table up and we have do when we have more than 2 for cards/games and such.

I believe that the table size will be reduced with the wider back bench.

The second picture is of the top step mod converted to hinged. I didn't plan it that way, but it became the perfect place to store the extension.

Here are two links to my posts.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post334043

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post330978
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7 Bench Extension with table up.jpg (16.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 8 Bench Extension Storage.jpg (14.0 KB, 81 views)
__________________
The Sweet Suite
Ronn and Colleen
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:02 PM   #17
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oriental, North Carolina
Trailer: 2011 Casita 17
Posts: 52
U-shaped Dinette Dinette Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
There have been a couple of expandable tables that add flexibility to seating and eating. I have a sliding table from Marine Teak. While it appears that my model is no longer offered, if I was to do it over, I'd purchase the Nautic Star Wing version - the slides on mine tend to bind. That said, the advantage is the table goes from 22" X 49" closed to 44" X 49" in the open position.
Thanks again to all of the members who contribute to the Forum. Some can always be counted on. At my age I don't know if I'll ever be able to contribute my share, I'm still in the learning stage.
I consider my wife and my self to be good cooks. We eat in most often at home because the food is always better. We also go out for a burger and a beer or a martini, a grilled veal chop with a side of pasta and Agilo e Olio and fine red wine. Having a comfortable dining area with a table large enough to help with food prep and also accommodate the occasion family member is important to us. A place to lounge, relax, read etc. is equally important. Having the benefit of those who came before us I am trying to incorporate what I hope will be the best of several suggestions.
1. Perryb67"s 22" deep split rear bench seat with 4' thick split Rear Seat Back cushions and split seat bottom cushions.
2. Ronn's 12' wide front to back filler board cut out for a Lagun out arm with split cushions.
3. Jon Vermilye's suggestion for a Nautic Star Wing Teak Table 39.4" long x 26.8 wide open, 13.4" wide folded.
I hope this is doable and accomplishes both criteria.

Jon, one concern I have is the ability of the Lagun Mount to handle the weight of the table. Besides the obvious reinforcement necessary to wall the mount is attached to some members have added a diamond patterned galvanize plate between the mount and the underside of the table. Did you find it necessary to add extra support.
All advice and comments welcome.
Thanks Jim
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:13 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Vermilye's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Oswego, New York
Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Posts: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Thanks again to all of the members who contribute to the Forum. Some can always be counted on. At my age I don't know if I'll ever be able to contribute my share, I'm still in the learning stage.
I consider my wife and my self to be good cooks. We eat in most often at home because the food is always better. We also go out for a burger and a beer or a martini, a grilled veal chop with a side of pasta and Agilo e Olio and fine red wine. Having a comfortable dining area with a table large enough to help with food prep and also accommodate the occasion family member is important to us. A place to lounge, relax, read etc. is equally important. Having the benefit of those who came before us I am trying to incorporate what I hope will be the best of several suggestions.
1. Perryb67"s 22" deep split rear bench seat with 4' thick split Rear Seat Back cushions and split seat bottom cushions.
2. Ronn's 12' wide front to back filler board cut out for a Lagun out arm with split cushions.
3. Jon Vermilye's suggestion for a Nautic Star Wing Teak Table 39.4" long x 26.8 wide open, 13.4" wide folded.
I hope this is doable and accomplishes both criteria.

Jon, one concern I have is the ability of the Lagun Mount to handle the weight of the table. Besides the obvious reinforcement necessary to wall the mount is attached to some members have added a diamond patterned galvanize plate between the mount and the underside of the table. Did you find it necessary to add extra support.
All advice and comments welcome.
Thanks Jim
It is a fairly heavy table, but the way I mounted it provides enough support. The only problem I've had is the plastic bearing between the arm & support column wore to the point where the table slanted a bit. I ordered a replacement from Lagun & it has been fine since.

Here are a couple of photos of the mount:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0818.jpg (161.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0824.jpg (151.9 KB, 9 views)
__________________
Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
Travel and Photo Web Page ... My Collection of RV Blogs 2018 F150 3.5EB, 2017 21
Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 03:31 PM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: Oriental, North Carolina
Trailer: 2011 Casita 17
Posts: 52
Also our 21c is scheduled for mid August. I believe some delays are inevitable. The hope is by then be able to pick it up in person by that time and drive it cross country to North Carolina.
If that is the case I may be bringing the table with me along with a tv and swing arm mount to install in route along with a WD Hitch and the tools necessary to mount the power tongue jack facing backwards if necessary to open my pickup tailgate besides who knows what else.
I am I being foolish?
__________________

Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.
×