US Customs: Coming Back into the US from Chilliwack? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2022, 09:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
US Customs: Coming Back into the US from Chilliwack?

We will be going to Sumas to pick up our 21C in Jan. We plan to go to Chilliwack the day before delivery to inspect and have any problems addressed.

My question has to do with coming back into the US and Customs after our inspection. (Apparently there is little problem with Canadian Customs going into Canada).

We will have a number of boxes of items (clothes, linens, kitchen things, some canned goods, tools, etc.) in the truck. I do not particularly want to take everything out of the truck and leave it in Sumas before we go to Chilliwack, but also do not want have to itemize everything on the Customs declaration, and have the crossing be a hassle.

I know a lot has to do with the individual Customs agent, but has anyone had this issue (recently) and what happened? Suggestions?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:52 AM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Are you going to spend the night in Chilliwack or Sumas? Either way, I'm not certain I would want to leave everything overnight in the truck. When I picked up my trailer in 2014 and spent the night at the Best Western in Chilliwack, the desk personnel warned me to NOT leave anything overnight in the truck. They were having problems with vehicle break-ins. It would be the pits to lose everything you brought for your trailer...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 09:57 AM   #3

Over and back the same day.
We were thinking we would stay 2 nights in Sumas, before and after. If we were to leave the boxes in Sumas we would put them in the room.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
I did what you are planning, except I stayed at the Sandman Hotel & Suites in Abottsford, which was very nice. There are a lot of good restaurants nearby as well. That way you could have a bit of an International experience & the room rates are pretty good. I had been to Chilliwack before and didn't particularly care for what I saw in motels there- and evidently they are know for vehicle break-ins.

Edit: I was solo(Susan flew up a few days later) & my SUV was totally packed- even had my own 4" foam mattress + latex topper. No problems going back over border.

On the way up just expect the Canadians will expect a Texan to be packing & treat you accordingly.
Old 11-15-2022, 10:19 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Over and back the same day.
We were thinking we would stay 2 nights in Sumas, before and after. If we were to leave the boxes in Sumas we would put them in the room.
I have dual citizenship and travel to Canada on a regular basis. You are correct it depends on the border guard and the majority are pleasant and nice and then a few aren't. I have had my truck almost completely torn apart a couple years ago by a intense inspection, I must look like a drug runner The chances are low that they will look closely on what is in your truck it's still something that could happen. If it was me I'd leave all the new trailer stuff in the hotel room so I could enjoy the day of the trailer pickup.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 01:30 PM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
When picking up our 5.0 we crossed the border at Portal, North Dakota, traveled to Chilliwack, inspected the camper and go our training (they gave you a training on your camper in 2018) and then crossed the border to Sumas. They asked why we were in Canada. We told them we were inspecting our trailer in Chilliwack, and going to pick the camper up after Escape brought it across the border. I’m sure that we’re not the first to state those intentions.

OTOH, in 2005, after visiting Banff, when we were crossing back into the US, our Jayco 5th wheel was inspected from head to toe. We were told a random inspection is determined by computer. Luck of the draw. The only thing that bothered them was the frozen buffalo steaks, packaged in Rothsay, MN, in our freezer. Apparently we were supposed to declare them going into Canada. After a general chewing out, the US border guys let us and the steaks back into the US.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-15-2022, 01:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
I did what you are planning, except I stayed at the Sandman Hotel & Suites in Abottsford, which was very nice. There are a lot of good restaurants nearby as well. That way you could have a bit of an International experience & the room rates are pretty good. I had been to Chilliwack before and didn't particularly care for what I saw in motels there- and evidently they are know for vehicle break-ins.

Edit: I was solo(Susan flew up a few days later) & my SUV was totally packed- even had my own 4" foam mattress + latex topper. No problems going back over border.

On the way up just expect the Canadians will expect a Texan to be packing & treat you accordingly.
I never had any issues until I properly licensed my firearm locally. Now I'm on the local and international radar screens and occasionally asked why I have permit and if I'm carrying. My firearm stays home and never leaves the house, but still I get questioned occasionally.
Old 11-15-2022, 05:44 PM   #8
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Check the Customs webpages for the USA and Canada for prohibited items. This past summer, it was eggs and chicken (entering into Canada) that were prohibited.
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 09:17 AM   #9

Looks like discretion is the better part of valor. Will get a room for two nights in or near Sumas (suggestions?), leave all the boxes there when we go to Chilliwack for the inspection and, hopefully, tour the factory.
Old 11-20-2022, 09:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Looks like discretion is the better part of valor. Will get a room for two nights in or near Sumas (suggestions?), leave all the boxes there when we go to Chilliwack for the inspection and, hopefully, tour the factory.
WE just stay in Chilliwack at the Hampton Inn and follow the trailer to Sumas for delivery....
Old 11-20-2022, 12:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
WE just stay in Chilliwack at the Hampton Inn and follow the trailer to Sumas for delivery....

Would be nice, but we are trying to avoid having to go through US Customs with a truck full of trailer stuff.
Old 11-20-2022, 12:59 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
There isn't any US Customs on the way to ETI. You just drive across the border to the Canadian Customs booth. Odds are huge that if you say "going to Escape Industries to see our new trailer" they'll just wave you through.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 01:16 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
There isn't any US Customs on the way to ETI. You just drive across the border to the Canadian Customs booth. Odds are huge that if you say "going to Escape Industries to see our new trailer" they'll just wave you through.

Ron

I am not worried about getting into Canada. I am concerned with going through US Customs coming back to Sumas to wait for delivery of the trailer if we have boxes and boxes of trailer stuff in the back of the truck.
Old 11-20-2022, 01:41 PM   #14

I have taken delivery of 5 Escapes and not once was there any question of what was in my truck bed. All they wanted to know was the reason for crossing, not what was all the stuff in the truck bed....
Old 11-20-2022, 01:48 PM   #15

Quote:
I have taken delivery of 5 Escapes and not once was there any question of what was in my truck bed. All they wanted to know was the reason for crossing, not what was all the stuff in the truck bed....
Your lucky you didn't get one of the cranky ones or have the computer draw for the extensive search. Coming back from the rally last year I was lucky and got both the Customs and yah the agricultural search of the truck and trailer. I was at the US border for over two hours.
Whether you are searched or not is the luck of the draw.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:06 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post

Whether you are searched or not is the luck of the draw.
Perhaps your attitude helps/hurts? For example, we were coming back late one night through a border crossing in Maine and when the guard asked where we were headed. I blurted out the first thing that came to mind: MacDonald's! The guard yells into the office: "Hey, Joe. Check these people out, they're headed to MacDonald's."

We got the fine tooth comb inspection for that mistake. I think I needed 2 Big Macs after that.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 02:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Perhaps your attitude helps/hurts? For example, we were coming back late one night through a border crossing in Maine and when the guard asked where we were headed. I blurted out the first thing that came to mind: MacDonald's! The guard yells into the office: "Hey, Joe. Check these people out, they're headed to MacDonald's."

We got the fine tooth comb inspection for that mistake. I think I needed 2 Big Macs after that.
I'm so nice and respectful at all times both ways. I also found out years ago being a smarty pants is not a good idea.
I also have dual citizenship and cross the border on a very regular basis so I know I'm in their computer as a regular crosser and I'm most likely flagged for that.
Old 11-20-2022, 02:58 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
It's not me, but if I had a huge concern I might spend one night at the Sumas Mountain Lodge right there at Bob's Big Boy and unload all my stuff into the room. Go to Chilliwack, then follow my trailer back to Sumas. It must cross the border by 1pm. It'll be in the parking lot where it's easy to load stuff from the Mountain Lodge.... then head for the Lynden KOA for the first night. That way only spending the one night waiting for the trailer and no problems with 'stuff.'
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2022, 04:06 PM   #19

Quote:

That is encouraging. How recent was your last crossing. Wonder if things have changed?
Old 11-20-2022, 04:11 PM   #20

Though I know one does not go through US Customs going into Canada I wonder if it would be possible/work to stop anyway and show them what is in the truck? Kind of a pre-emptive disclosure.