Using backup camera- confusing or not? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #21

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
My problem isn't knowing which way to turn the wheel. It's not over-correcting. I do a lot better once I'm in the driveway of backing into the narrow garage door than I do turning into the driveway as the minute corrections are easier to do than the big turns. But I like the idea of a camera so I don't have to keep getting out to check whether I'm about to hit something.
I agree, I'm still learning and I over correct all the time and have to try, try again. I still haven't gotten good at the big back-up turns.
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:26 PM   #22

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
I agree, I'm still learning and I over correct all the time and have to try, try again. I still haven't gotten good at the big back-up turns.
The worst part is- that part is different with every trailer because it depends on the location of the wheels. (Further back is easier IMHO.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:54 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'd n ever depend on the camera for backing into a site - too small an image to make reliable distance decisions. Since I travel solo, lots of getting out & looking. After a careful examination of the site, I may use the camera a bit, but I've been know to hop out multiple times backing in, even with friendly campground employees guiding you in. They may get annoyed, but it is my trailer!

I do find it useful for the few times I pass someone, particularly on 2 lane roads. The other place it has been handy is for backing at a gas station or store when someone has blocked my planned forward exit. It is amazing how fast someone can walk or pull into the space behind your trailer.
Old 08-15-2020, 01:14 PM   #24
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'd n ever depend on the camera for backing into a site - too small an image to make reliable distance decisions. ....
I drive older vehicles that don't have all this new fangled computer screen stuff on their dashboard (early 90s Mercedes E class, early 2000 Ford Super Duty), but I test drove a new Subaru Outback the other day with an 11" touchscreen and backup camera, and it was pretty cool. in addition to range markers, the backup cam showed two yellow lines that 'bent' with the steering to show your potential path, was real handy when backing up around something... now if *that* tech could be adapted to a trailer, heh. I realize the computations for those lines would be MUCH more complicated with a trailer.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote