Using backup camera- confusing or not? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-11-2020, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Using backup camera- confusing or not?

For those who were experienced at backing a trailer and got a backup camera (for the first time), did you get confused? If I use one will I have to relearn how to back?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 09:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
I just use it for when I’m backing the trailer into the barn to see how close I am to the back wall, otherwise its the same as backing up any other trailer .

David
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 10:29 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
when we had our (beloved) 21' Escape we had the ETI installed back up camera, and overall it was worth having, for sure.

first: if you turn up the volume (on the wireless reciever screen) you can hear a person who is at the back of the trailer, guiding you.

second, when driving on highways, and changing lanes, in busy traffic... it can be VERY helpful for the co-pilot (passenger in front seat) to say "clear" when there is lots of space to make a lane change and merge into the next lane over....

thirdly backing up was never fun, but the camera was always a helpful option.

so no, it wasn't confusing.

backing up really is all about using your side mirrors, and - for me - put the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and move the hand in the direction you want to go.

just my 2c.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 05:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by losangeles View Post
hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and move the hand in the direction you want to go.
^^^ this ^^^
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 07:51 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
I use it just like “Losangeles” said...

I would order it again.

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:44 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
For those who were experienced at backing a trailer and got a backup camera (for the first time), did you get confused? If I use one will I have to relearn how to back?
Not at all, Love having it. There is a short learning curve as to the depth perception the camera has, but beyond that, it is a great aid to have in conjunction with the mirrors. We have ours on all the time when traveling and use it as a rear view mirror to see how close traffic, etc is. Definitely helps with the blind spots.

FYI, I did not get the B/U camera that ETI offered as I have Furrion cameras in the past and I was not happy with their performance/cost. I have been using the following HD1080 camera system I purchased on Amazon and have had great luck with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 10:13 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I rarely use it backing into a campsite - I always get out & look. I do find it useful if I have to back up in a parking lot, gas station, etc. I travel solo, so I don't have someone that can check behind me. Also somewhat useful when driving...
Old 06-12-2020, 02:22 PM   #8

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I rarely use it backing into a campsite - I always get out & look. I do find it useful if I have to back up in a parking lot, gas station, etc. I travel solo, so I don't have someone that can check behind me. Also somewhat useful when driving...
^^^ I mostly agree with Jon, as I generally travel solo, but I used the camera only two or three times between Chilliwack and Houston while getting used to the rig and haven't used it since. Each to his/her own, but the camera tends to be more a hassle than of help to me, possibly because I make a point of pulling up to gas tanks and other such place so that backing is not required. I've had no trouble backing into driveways or campground sites and find that, properly positioned, my van's side mirrors and the extra pair of extended mirrors leave no blind spots while traveling. Perhaps I'll need the camera somewhere down the road?

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:52 PM   #9

It would probably help going into the garage so that may be a good reason to get it. I have a pretty narrow clearance.
Old 06-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #10

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
It would probably help going into the garage so that may be a good reason to get it. I have a pretty narrow clearance.
In that case, I'm sure I'd use it, as well. And after a while, you'll be able to fine-tune your stopping point.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:21 PM   #11
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
My husband doesn't use it but I love it! I use it when merging into another lane. It gives me a sense of safety--much better than our mirrors. I can't use it backing up and we depend on each other for that. That said, we installed it after we purchased the trailer, so we don't have the sound system. I would really love that!
L-
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 04:47 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
My husband doesn't use it but I love it! I use it when merging into another lane. It gives me a sense of safety--much better than our mirrors. I can't use it backing up and we depend on each other for that. That said, we installed it after we purchased the trailer, so we don't have the sound system. I would really love that!
L-
Why can't you use it backing up?
Old 06-12-2020, 05:22 PM   #13
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Why can't you use it backing up?
It's just me. I get really need to really concentrate when backing up. That and our Tadi camera doesn't do a 180 and with our 45 degree angle in our main driveway with a tight gate, I need extra help!

Lorna
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Thinking of getting this. How did you wire the camera for power and where did you mount it? Was that very difficult or time consuming to do? And have you had any problems with the connection between the camera and the display? Thank you in advance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tburt View Post
I have been using the following HD1080 camera system I purchased on Amazon and have had great luck with it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:22 PM   #15

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill View Post
Thinking of getting this. How did you wire the camera for power and where did you mount it? Was that very difficult or time consuming to do? And have you had any problems with the connection between the camera and the display? Thank you in advance!
Jill, The camera is wired into the clearance lights. It was easy for me on the new 21 as I had them pre-wire it for a camera. On our 17, it wasn't wired, so I had to tap into the wires running to the lamps. I believe that you will find those wires behind the interior corner trim piece (It is only held on with a couple of screws.) The monitor goes in your vehicle and plugs into a cigarette outlet. It connects automatically and works extremely well.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 07:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by tburt View Post
Jill, The camera is wired into the clearance lights. It was easy for me on the new 21 as I had them pre-wire it for a camera. On our 17, it wasn't wired, so I had to tap into the wires running to the lamps. I believe that you will find those wires behind the interior corner trim piece (It is only held on with a couple of screws.) The monitor goes in your vehicle and plugs into a cigarette outlet. It connects automatically and works extremely well.
Thanks! And where/how did you mount the camera? Did you use suction cup or some other method to affix it to the fiberglass?
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:11 PM   #17

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
Back up camera

We bought a wireless off Amazon I had ETI put in electric in rear cabinet of our E21 . What we did was use heavy duty Velcro and attached camera To the underside of cabinet and aimed it outside.No weather or other problems putting on a sunbrella top .It works very well with 6 in screen plugged into lighter socket in car That was the best investment I’ve done for my sanity driving through Atlanta GoodLuck in your decision Jim W
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:34 PM   #18
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
careful with the amazon stuff, a lot of it is noname with very little support. I got one that was a license plate frame, idea was you wired it to your reverse lights for power, and it was wifi. with a 21' trailer and a 20 foot long truck, it simply didn't work in the cab, and even when I had my phone right near it, it was pretty flakey... the software was awful and the radio link slow and unreliable.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 17 B
Yes, I got confused and realized what works best for me is to use my side view mirrors and primarily focus on the driver side of the trailer by looking out the driver side window.

I use the backup cam to see how close I'm getting to something at the rear of the trailer. Very handy at all the back in state campsites I've been to. Also, use it for the final few feet when I'm backing-in and parking the back end and driver side of my trailer right next to a fence at my house.

I enjoy it most for visibility on the highway, as others have mentioned.

When I'm driving I also often have my tow vehicle's passenger side blind spot camera turned-on because it allows me to see the entire passenger side of my 17 B on the highway. Nice I'm able to turn this on and off when I desire without the right directional signal being on.

I have an extra camera I might install on the driver side of the trailer. haha I'd have like 270 degree view cameras!

Wow! Thanks for this tip, backing up just got a lot easier for me...
"put the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and move the hand in the direction you want to go"
jadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:16 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadams View Post
Wow! Thanks for this tip, backing up just got a lot easier for me...
"put the hand on the bottom of the steering wheel, and move the hand in the direction you want to go"
My problem isn't knowing which way to turn the wheel. It's not over-correcting. I do a lot better once I'm in the driveway of backing into the narrow garage door than I do turning into the driveway as the minute corrections are easier to do than the big turns. But I like the idea of a camera so I don't have to keep getting out to check whether I'm about to hit something.