we were interested in the 23 but $40,000, cough cough. - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #41

Trailer: NA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I think the aluminum frame is a dumb design decision. I see NO advantage either mechanically or in marketing other than it's lighter. Who really cares? I don't, and I'm an old mechanical engineer. Seems like shooting yourself in the foot to me.
One huge point with Escape and other fiberglass trailers is weight and tow vehicle. Escape may have wanted to keep weight down to cater to the towing capacity class of 5000lbs like they talk about on their 21’.
LoneWolf04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf04 View Post
One huge point with Escape and other fiberglass trailers is weight and tow vehicle. Escape may have wanted to keep weight down to cater to the towing capacity class of 5000lbs like they talk about on their 21’.
Yep when I first saw the estimated weight of the 23 listed on the website (3800#) I thought it seemed low...now I see how they expect to achieve that!
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #43

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I've never had an issue with my grey tank but maybe its limited to newer trailers mine is 2017. Its funny i read about all kinds of issues: refrigerator , furnace, pump, awning, etc... and then i worried about all those things but I've been lucky only issue i had was the bathroom window which was fixed at the factory. I am thankful to hear about the issues so when one comes up i know how others have solved it. But many owners never experience any of these issues -so you don't see their posts...
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 02:14 PM   #44

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I do not think you have any evidence to support this statement. It is conjecture on your part.
At least two more leaking tanks reported on the other thread since. How many will it take for you to consider it a fact and no longer conjecture?
Old 10-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Wouldn't the steel frame Escape with a leaky grey tank be lighter weight overall than an aluminum frame Escape with no leak? If the grey tank leaks does it really matter? Has anyone had a problem with the cess tank leaking?
dotllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:42 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by dotllama View Post
Wouldn't the steel frame Escape with a leaky grey tank be lighter weight overall than an aluminum frame Escape with no leak? If the grey tank leaks does it really matter? Has anyone had a problem with the cess tank leaking?
If by “Cess” tank you are referring to the black tank , then yes .
Our black tank leaked at the hub connection and flooded the interior of our trailer with contaminated water .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:01 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The gray tank piping issue likely goes way beyond the number we are hearing about since only a fraction of owners are on the forum.

Quote:
I do not think you have any evidence to support this statement. It is conjecture on your part.
It was only presented as conjecture...and it certainly seems like a reasonable one.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Question I have is: the grey tank is vented. If you turn on pressurized water and let it flow, could the water overcome the plumbing and escape through the vent resulting in a "leak"?
Old 10-07-2020, 09:36 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
No, the vent is a stack that exits through the roof.

Some of the photos posted have very clearly shown a leak at the fitting.

OTOH, I force filled mine yesterday and without spray on foam I could tell instantly that none of my fittings were leaking.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #50

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Question I have is: the grey tank is vented. If you turn on pressurized water and let it flow, could the water overcome the plumbing and escape through the vent resulting in a "leak"?
I thought that the 21 had an uncapped grey tank vent pipe enclosed behind the wall by the bathroom door where the cubby holes are? Is it possible that could let water flow out the top of it if the grey water tank was over filled?
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 07:50 AM   #51

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
I thought that the 21 had an uncapped grey tank vent pipe enclosed behind the wall by the bathroom door where the cubby holes are? Is it possible that could let water flow out the top of it if the grey water tank was over filled?
The vent behind the bathroom sink in the wall of the 21 bathroom has an air admittance valve - a one way vent that lets air in but doesn't let anything out. Also, that vent is a little higher than the bathroom sink so if liquid did happen to get that high, the sink would flood first. The kitchen sink is below the vent as well and would start to overflow so a high grey tank level would be very noticeable. The vent is NOT an issue.

What is an issue is that Escape started running the drain pipe from the shower to the grey tank in a straight run. That leaves no room for expansion / contraction and places undue stress on the weak spot of the run which happens to be the threaded connection to the grey tank.

This is a easy fix to make by installing a flexible coupling near the grey tank in the piping run to give the pipe some give.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1...-150/100058870

It takes less than 30 minutes to cut the pipe and slip the coupling in place.

-- unless you ordered the trailer with sprayed foam.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:39 AM   #52

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The vent behind the bathroom sink in the wall of the 21 bathroom has an air admittance valve - a one way vent that lets air in but doesn't let anything out. Also, that vent is a little higher than the bathroom sink so if liquid did happen to get that high, the sink would flood first. The kitchen sink is below the vent as well and would start to overflow so a high grey tank level would be very noticeable. The vent is NOT an issue.

What is an issue is that Escape started running the drain pipe from the shower to the grey tank in a straight run. That leaves no room for expansion / contraction and places undue stress on the weak spot of the run which happens to be the threaded connection to the grey tank.

This is a easy fix to make by installing a flexible coupling near the grey tank in the piping run to give the pipe some give.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Fernco-1...-150/100058870

It takes less than 30 minutes to cut the pipe and slip the coupling in place.

-- unless you ordered the trailer with sprayed foam.
That would be me........eek
Old 11-06-2020, 07:54 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Rpod 151
Another way for Escape to save weight is use Coosa board instead of plywood. 40% lighter and will not rot out. Even airstream went to a composite floor on all their mid 2020 models and newer. Lance has been using a composite floor for many years as well as others. With a 40K$ price tag, hope the new owners have stepped up.
mtbmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 04:27 AM   #54

Those other trailers leak and needed floor replacements, our do not leak.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:07 AM   #55

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Those other trailers leak and needed floor replacements, our do not leak.
a leaky trailer would benefit from a composite floor construction. The composite doesn't rot like plywood and is much lighter. No floor replacements would be necessary if the trailer did leak. Don't trailers usually leak from top down rather than road splash?
Coosa and other composite panels have revolutionized boat construction and other industries that require products with strength, water proof and light weight.
Composite panels are more expensive that plywood. The composite would be installed at time of the build,ideally
sofmerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:29 AM   #56

There are over 3000 rivets in a small airstream, each one of those holes can leak. my point being, why worry about a replaceable/irreplaceable floors when the leaks are eliminated.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:39 AM   #57

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
A valid conjecture, I would think. The present data on the problem seems to be consistent from the posts I read. The extrapolation results should be reliable.
Old 11-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #58

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I feel very fortunate ,, our leakproof Escape has only leaked in 3 spots
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:32 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I feel very fortunate ,, our leakproof Escape has only leaked in 3 spots
But yours was a used Escape correct, perhaps that is why it was sold? Having owned 4 new Escapes, none of mine have developed any leaks.
Old 11-07-2020, 08:36 AM   #60

I'm not saying they can not leak, but with proper maintenance, they should not. We only have but maybe 2 roof vents, a refer vent and the a/c and Maxxfan openings to contend with. Where else do the leaks start?