Weight Diff between 19 and 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2021, 04:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Weight Diff between 19 and 21

E19
LxWxH - 19' 6" x 7’ x 9’
dry - 3250 lbs
hitch - 306 lbs
axle - 2944 lbs

E21NE
LxWxH - 21' 4" x 7’ 4” x 9’
dry - 3465 lbs (+215)
hitch - 366 lbs (+60)
axle - 3099 (+155)

Is the 21 really only 215 lbs heavier than 19? This is based on the base specs, guessing the options more or less weigh the same regardless of trailer.

Our goal is to be as nimble as possible (e.g. hook and go, mountain, prairie, or city). Looking at the spec of these two trailers it looks like a wash, what am I missing…
bobster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 04:55 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
"close to 2 feet......" ,,,,,,,,
Old 03-30-2021, 05:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
"close to 2 feet......" ,,,,,,,,
I know, think what you could do with "close to 2 feet".
Old 03-30-2021, 05:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobster View Post
E19
LxWxH - 19' 6" x 7’ x 9’
dry - 3250 lbs
hitch - 306 lbs
axle - 2944 lbs

E21NE
LxWxH - 21' 4" x 7’ 4” x 9’
dry - 3465 lbs (+215)
hitch - 366 lbs (+60)
axle - 3099 (+155)

Is the 21 really only 215 lbs heavier than 19? This is based on the base specs, guessing the options more or less weigh the same regardless of trailer.

Are goal is to be as nimble as possible (e.g. hook and go, mountain, prairie, or city). Looking at the spec of these two trailers it looks like a wash, what am I missing…
If your goal is to be as nibble as possible the smaller lighter trailer would be way to go. A lot of this discussion would be based on what options you plan on having. The NE comes with large fridge and U shaped din net and kitchen window. If you planned on adding these to a 19 then the extra weight of the NE might be abetter deal. really there not much since in comparing base weights unless you plan on ordering with no options.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
If your goal is to be as nibble as possible the smaller lighter trailer would be way to go. A lot of this discussion would be based on what options you plan on having. The NE comes with large fridge and U shaped din net and kitchen window. If you planned on adding these to a 19 then the extra weight of the NE might be abetter deal. really there not much since in comparing base weights unless you plan on ordering with no options.
I think the U-Shape dinette is really what is driving us to e-thinking the 21. We are really not proper diners (e.g. eat where ever, mostly outside). See the U-Shape as more of a lounge area. The plan was to get the U-Shape in the 19, but have only seen one photo of that. The 21 looks much more inviting in that area.

BUT, do not want to sacrifice the nimble aspect (e.g. being nimble is more important than stretching the legs out). Anybody who had a 19 that went to a 21, but wish they had stayed with the 19?
Old 03-30-2021, 06:00 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
This is likely true. While the 21' obviously has more body, a longer frame, and more interior cabinetry, the two models have the same axles (with suspension and brakes), wheels and tires, coupler, jacks, spare tire, appliances, and services (ventilation, electrical, and plumbing equipment). Much of the mass of the trailer isn't different between any of the tandem-axle models.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:11 PM   #7

Quote:
I think the U-Shape dinette is really what is driving us to e-thinking the 21. We are really not proper diners (e.g. eat where ever, mostly outside). See the U-Shape as more of a lounge area. The plan was to get the U-Shape in the 19, but have only seen one photo of that. The 21 looks much more inviting in that area.

BUT, do not want to sacrifice the nimble aspect (e.g. being nimble is more important than stretching the legs out). Anybody who had a 19 that went to a 21, but wish they had stayed with the 19?

Based on what your saying. I would go with the 21 NE with Logan table mount. I think in the real world there be very few places where a 19 would go that a 21 would not.personally I think the dinette in the 19 is to small for a U shape. We almost went a NE ,But stuck with the 19 for the bigger table and also tow with a v6. hopefully cpharley will give you is 2 cents he has had 19-21-19-21 so until he buys another the vote looks to be 50-50
Old 03-30-2021, 06:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
I think the "nimbleness" of the rig has more to do with the tow vehicle. I used the same F150 to tow my 12' tent trailer as I use for my 21NE, and the size and turning radius of the F150 is a bigger factor than the trailer, IMO. Any place I can get the F150, the 21NE will follow. The 21NE is easier to back up than my small trailer, although it takes a larger space. (Short trailers behind a long wheelbase get squirrely quickly.) My brother tows a 19 with a BMW x5 diesel, and his rig is much shorter and more nimble because his Beemer is much shorter and more nimble than my F150, not because his trailer is a little smaller and a bit lighter.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 19" Escape
weight difference between 19 and 21

The weight difference was not a big deal for use when comparing a 19 and 21, however the length was. With the 19 we can store our trailer at our house on the side driveway, but with a 21 we would have had to pay for a storage lot. Which is very expensive in Southern California.
lonewolfjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:11 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
The aisle in the 21 is four inches wider than the 19. Makes a huge difference for us, and would definitely affect your "U" shaped dinette plan.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 07:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is likely true. While the 21' obviously has more body, a longer frame, and more interior cabinetry, the two models have the same axles (with suspension and brakes), wheels and tires, coupler, jacks, spare tire, appliances, and services (ventilation, electrical, and plumbing equipment). Much of the mass of the trailer isn't different between any of the tandem-axle models.
Just seems 2 ft of tailer frame, 2 ft of 9' fiberglass, the extra wood and not sure if base fridge is added to that weight but a 5 cu ft vs 6 cu ft fridge would weigh more than 215 lbs. Plus, I believe the u-shape is standard in the base 21NE would add weight.

Edit:
And, as tractors1 just reminded me, 4" in width of extra fiberglass. That stuff must be light!!
Old 03-30-2021, 07:30 PM   #12

Quote:
We almost went a NE ,But stuck with the 19 for the bigger table and also tow with a v6.
Makes sense, that logic might win out for me too. I also have a V6...
Old 03-30-2021, 07:35 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
The 21NE is easier to back up than my small trailer, although it takes a larger space. (Short trailers behind a long wheelbase get squirrely quickly.)
I know where your coming from... I use to have a 17' ft Casita, the Casita would change directions on a dime when backing up. My Jayco which is almost 30 ft hitch to bumper, takes some planning to get going in the right direction...
Old 03-30-2021, 07:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolfjb View Post
The weight difference was not a big deal for use when comparing a 19 and 21, however the length was. With the 19 we can store our trailer at our house on the side driveway, but with a 21 we would have had to pay for a storage lot. Which is very expensive in Southern California.
Good point, but think I'm going to have to keep mine in storage. Already have a covered storage unit, grandfathered in at a pretty low monthly rate, will keep that. Plus, if at home, I would have to keep it my drive way, blocking the garage, kind of like having the truck in the garage.
Old 03-30-2021, 07:41 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
The aisle in the 21 is four inches wider than the 19. Makes a huge difference for us, and would definitely affect your "U" shaped dinette plan.
Yep, plus the 4 inches width, just not seeing how it is only 215 lbs heavier (base). The U-Shape in the 21 sure is tempting us...
Old 03-30-2021, 07:54 PM   #16

Another question... Looking at one of the inventory trailers build sheet, they list shipping weight. I assume that is the dry weight as built. Is that correct?
Old 03-30-2021, 08:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Another question... Looking at one of the inventory trailers build sheet, they list shipping weight. I assume that is the dry weight as built. Is that correct?

Yes the weight on the build is based on the options on that trailer. The weight of the 21 NE listed on ETI website has been that same weight since they talked about building it. If you notice the 21c and 21 NE list the same weights. I be surprised IF these two come in lb for lb. the 21c has a lot more wood and bigger bath. If you close on weight I would look for a real world weight. There have been a few people that have weighted there 21 NE . A search might bring them up. keep in mind the weights of options. when I researched this I could have got a 21NE that weighed less than my 19,but it would have had less options . frame less windows and power awning 6 volt batteries all ad weight. If you towing with a V6 at some point you have to decide what weight your willing to go up to.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:15 PM   #18

You may also find this helpful . real world weights from fiberglass rv. I think Jon has been keeping this up to date. there is one NE on there but plenty of 21c . of course depending on what people carry it varies ,but still very useful. also some of these where 1 st generation trailers that where lighter than the current models . I think the mold changed in 2017.go to Jons post #401

https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...-43010-21.html
Old 03-30-2021, 09:51 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
If you close on weight I would look for a real world weight. There have been a few people that have weighted there 21 NE . A search might bring them up.
I roll my 21NE over the scales almost every time I go by a closed highway scale. My axle weights are usually 3800 to 3900 lbs, and my tongue is usually in the 550 pound range, for a total loaded trailer weight of 4350 to 4450 lbs.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 10:09 PM   #20

Trailer: 2022 21C, our second Escape
Quote:
Dry weight is lower than Shipping weight which includes your options and choices. I'm not exactly sure what's included in Shipping weight that isn't in Dry but they are slightly different.
Small but Sweet is offline   Reply With Quote