What can inverter run? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2020, 02:52 PM   #41

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
I'm more indecisive than ever... If I get a microwave it would be nice to use it once in awhile when I'm not plugged in. Might be nice on occasion to use the electric blanket, too. I agree with Jim on bedding in a dry, cold climate, but the PNW is clammy cold and the electric blanket can be a great way to warm the bed even if just on for a short time at bedtime. And the newer blankets are great.
The inverter is certainly not essential, but if your finances permit it is a really nice luxury to be able to use the microwave while boondocking. We find that we use the microwave a lot more than we expected to on the inverter, mostly for warming up leftovers or heating something up quickly, but it's a real treat to be stopped in a rest area on a long drive and be able to use the microwave.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:56 PM   #42

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I haven’t looked at an inverter yet and just use portables when needed. May look at it when I change over to Lithium.
Someone said ETI can only do all outlet during construction, but I seem to recall some members putting in all outlet setup aftermarket. Has someone done this, or is it only possible to do a single outlet aftermarket?

I found it fairly simple to put 1 existing circuit, (of 2 on the 5.0TA), on a small transfer switch. In my case that gives me power to more then 1/2 the outlets including all I cared for. Here's the xfer switch... Inline Transfer Relay

The relay/xfer switch was one of the easier parts on the inverter install.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:03 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
If I have an inverter, what can I run on 12V that I couldn't do without it? Specifically wondering how much a coffee maker would drain batteries down.
Use a pour over coffee maker. MUCH better coffee and no electicity needed.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:25 AM   #44

Trailer: 2019 19ft
Quote:
If I have an inverter, what can I run on 12V that I couldn't do without it? Specifically wondering how much a coffee maker would drain batteries down.
I find the inverter essential for charging my electric mountain bike giving me many hours of enjoyment
Harvie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:49 AM   #45

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
We just boil water in a pan on the stove and use a French Press for coffee. We put a drip filter on the bottom of the press to make clean up easier and create a better seal that keeps grounds getting into the coffee.

Utopia Kitchen French Press Cafetiere - 950 ml (32oz) - Double Wall Coffee Plunger - Coffee & Tea Maker - Stainless Steel

TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #46

Trailer: 2020 25' Flying Cloud Airstream with three 90-watt Zamp Solar roof panels and 140-watt ZS Portable
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvie View Post
I find the inverter essential for charging my electric mountain bike giving me many hours of enjoyment
The wattage on your coffee pot must be equal to or less than the wattage rating on your inverter. The Amp rating will eat into your battery charge. With solar you would replace what the coffee pot used.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:02 AM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We use a stovetop percolator and has worked great for many years.
https://amzn.to/2XO7VFF
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 11:10 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I use a 600 watt 4 cup drip coffee maker most mornings using the inverter. Draws about 55 amps @ 12V & uses about 6 amp hours to make a pot.
Old 06-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #49

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
I'm not a coffee connoisseur, but this works just great for me. Heat water in microwave or on the stove with propane.

https://www.amazon.com/Presto-02835-...5-4be35d7258cc

I do use a Keurig at home. Colleen drinks tea, so one cup at a time works for us.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2020, 11:35 AM   #50

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21NE
Quote:
The Escape inverter is 1500 watts so will run anything that uses 1500 watts or less. Instant Pot, microwave, pump, coffee maker, etc. I'm glad we got the inverter.
Old 06-11-2020, 01:33 PM   #51

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Don't use my French Press anymore because I hate cleaning it out. Propane and a #2 cone dripper.

Some years back I installed a ProWatt 600watt Xantrex sine wave inverter. For just in case and charging batteries. But never really had need to use for either.

Xantrex claims it handles "compact" microwaves, coffee makers, and small power tools. Never used for them. I really liked the display on it telling me my battery voltage. If battery voltage drops below 10.5 V. it shuts down automatically. I have employed the inverter for watching my old and not-12volt TV, and running a separate DVD player for movies. That's my story.
Attached Thumbnails
inverter.jpg  
Old 06-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #52

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
To invert or not to invert.....

We came to the Escape trailer world from an MCI 102d bus conversion which had a 4000watt inverter, 4- 8D size AGM batteries for house power and a 17.5kW generator. We were set for power. We seldom needed to run the generator since the batteries were also charged from the bus alternator. Our E21 has 2- 6v batteries, solar on the roof, a portable 100w solar panel and the 1500w inverter. Ex generator, we really have everything we had in the bus but just on a much smaller scale in our E21.

Do we use the inveter with our E21? Yes, whenever we are boondocking (which we are beginning to do more often). Do we use the inverter otherwise? No, there is no need if power pole camping but it is nice to look at the display to check battery status. Would I get the inverter again? Yes, absolutely. What do we run off the inverter: Instant pot, coffee maker, TV, cellphone and laptop chargers, microwave and most importantly a CPAP machine. I have a 2-12v. lithium battery setup for the CPAP but when we were at Organ Pipe last spring, I could not get it to power the CPAP. So, for 4 nights, I ran it on 120v off the inverter and it saved our trip. Worked fine even with heated humidifier. The inverter, for us is one of those things that I'd rather have and not need than need and not have.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote