What can inverter run? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-04-2020, 05:56 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm not an inverter person as others will say.
Quote:
Two answers to what does an inverter run (a) from $600 to $1000 and (b) your batteries down
I find it somewhat contradictory that someone who admittedly is “not an inverter person” would be going on to further post two comments which could be perceived as relatively negative or an attempt to discourage (influence) others from using inverters on the premise that “I don’t think inverters are useful so nobody else should either.” Yet I also see this as a legitimate Inverter opinion many on this forum have. I do recognize that Jim’s needs/style differs from my own; we all have varying preferences and I do respect his.

First and foremost, many Escape purchasers include an inverter when compiling their build sheet. I will go on record that I am NOT one of them. Furthermore, a good percentage of those purchasers will confirm that they are glad they did so, and use their inverters regularly.
The key point is that EVERYONE HAS DIFFERING NEEDS AND CAMPING/TRAVEL STYLES.

Now to debunk the two “misleading” statements above.

a. I now have a 2,000 watt pure sine wave inverter in my trailer. When I installed it, I also installed a single circuit transfer switch on the circuit with the microwave. I do not use it often but should we stop at a rest area and want to heat something for lunch, we can do so. My inverter is not a “top of the line” model. All told, the cost of the inverter, transfer switch, and wiring (self installed so no labor cost other than time) was around $400. I do not use it often but when I have wanted a warm lunch, using the microwave to heat food is preferable to wrapping it in aluminum foil and laying it on the tow vehicle’s exhaust manifold for several miles! I am glad I installed it. Perhaps $600 to $1,000 is accurate for an ETI installed inverter.

b. My use of the inverter has never run the battery down anymore than overnight use of the furnace, lights, or television. And if traveling in sunshine, the solar panel has the batteries up to full charge in short order anytime I have utilized inverter power.
Old 06-04-2020, 06:30 AM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I can. My 400 watt inverter powers all my AC-only chargers when the unreliable power fails in Big Bend, AND runs my oh-so-cozy & quiet electric blanket when boondocking. The blanket specs at 250 watts and at a low setting roughly 25% duty cycle. The standard solar keeps up with that demand. That's pure luxury.
--
Alan

And here I thought I was the only one that used an electric blanket, it and the toaster is the reason I put in the inverter. Well worth $400 to me now that 90% of our camping is done in the winter.
Old 06-04-2020, 08:03 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
We have several 12v blankets to eliminate the 10% inverter loss and with 4 extra 12v outlets installed, there is no place without a heated spot. They also have 12v USB heat pads for outside sitting around the fire....
Attached Thumbnails
91pL0Uhu5-L._AC_SL1500_.jpg  
Old 06-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
An inverter is not needed, for sure. However I did install a 1500W one myself. Going back now, I probably would not have bothered. What I have used it for;
- Toaster. By far the most used and enforced 120V appliance. I have used a stovetop one forever, but an electric gives a much better toasting, and works faster and easier.
- TV, Laptop (mine does not use 12V at all), etc. Works good for these things, but a much smaller portable would do the trick.
- Tools. On a few occasions I have used the inverter to power 120V tools, a grinder a couple others come to mind.
- Hand mixer thing. Not sure what it is called for sure
- A few other things have been used, but not all that much. We don't have a need for a microwave so that is out too. I would never wrap myself in an electric blanket either, a nice set of bedding is much more comfortable. We all have our different ways of doing things though.

But, like I said, if I was to do it over again, I would just go with a good portable, even if it meant using a better DC connection than the low wattage cigarette lighter plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
is it possible that the 12v-dc coffee maker would burn less Battery energy? the go power inverter is 91% efficient.
The problem lies in the fact there is no 12V coffee maker that works good and makes a great cup. The same thing for most 120V makers. There are so many better ways of heating water using a stove that will make a much better cup, like Aeropress, pour over, French Press and others.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:05 AM   #25

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
We have the 1500 watt inverter and would not be without it. We also have the transfer switch with all outlets run off the inverter when it is turned on.

I use an instant pot frequently at the end of the day. Put stuff in it, set the cook cycle and it gets done, shuts itself off. No timers to watch, nothing else to do. It draws 600 watts. Hint, you have a 1500 Watt inverter, read the wattage on your appliance to know if the inverter can run the load. If it draws 1000 or more watts, likely the draw is too much for more than 20 minutes.

I also run a vacuum, it also draws 600 watts. About 1x a week the corners on the floor get suctioned, we have a cat so the dinette cushions get the cat hair removed at the same time. We use an instant kettle, it draws 900 watts but can boil 2 cups of water in about 4 minutes. Now the Dickenson 2 burner stove with 11,000 BTU burners would be a great change compared to the Escape 5000 BTU 2 burner stove, at $600+. The instant kettle works for now. A blender, a Costco Oster blended uses 450 watts. I like iced coffee in the summer, fruit smoothies in the winter in Mexico. There is lots of use for a blender. We did have a 12V blender on our sailboat, but it was $250 25 years ago. Just another device that runs best on 120V. At 450 watts a blender draws more than your standard 300-400 watt plug in inverter, let alone the fun of heated wires as you run large loads through small wires.

We cannot run the A.C. off the inverter as it draws nearly 3000 watts. Nor do we have a microwave or TV. We charge the phones and computers off 12V. But there are lots of uses for 120 V AC.
Old 06-04-2020, 09:25 AM   #26

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0ta
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Clarification: It is a 110V-AC electric blanket powered by my small inverter. Nothing particularly special...
--
Alan
Thanks Allan. Was hoping to avoid using an inverter to run the blanket, but not much liking the 12V blankets I'm finding, so may follow your lead.
Paul Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I'm more indecisive than ever... If I get a microwave it would be nice to use it once in awhile when I'm not plugged in. Might be nice on occasion to use the electric blanket, too. I agree with Jim on bedding in a dry, cold climate, but the PNW is clammy cold and the electric blanket can be a great way to warm the bed even if just on for a short time at bedtime. And the newer blankets are great.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 10:03 AM   #28

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Dean View Post
Thanks Allan. Was hoping to avoid using an inverter to run the blanket, but not much liking the 12V blankets I'm finding, so may follow your lead.

I run ours for an hour before we climb in and turn it off. With the solar the power it uses it pretty much a non issue.
Old 06-04-2020, 11:52 AM   #29
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I learned a little trick from my sweet Grandma. When her kids were little she would put big rocks by the fire place in the evening to warm them up. Then before each child went to bed, she would put a warm rock into their bed to warm it up; my Dad loved it. So when my kids were little, I was tempted to be like Lucille Ball in The Long Long Trailer with all her rocks! But instead, went the hot water bottle route when we camped with our little guys. I got a couple like this:

https://www.amazon.com/HomeTop-Premi...284878&sr=8-32

I still remember their big smiles when my little boys would discover their warm sleeping bags - a super warm bear on a super cold night. When we got our E21 I put in some heating blankets for us but I eventually took them out - they could only be used with hook-ups. We always have hot water so they were replaced with these if we want more warmth - so nice on the feet. Works for us big kids, too!

https://www.amazon.com/All-one-tech-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=.

However, since you live in the 'clammy cold' PNW, totally understand your dilemma. Electric blankets probably sound very good to you. And if you think you'll use your microwave on road trips...then I could see a bigger permanent inverter being a welcomed addition to your pad! -Bea

PS - I see that my previous link to my sister's coffee maker didn't work. Sorry! Here it is
https://www.amazon.com/Supernon-non-...1287350&sr=8-2
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 11:59 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post

https://www.amazon.com/HomeTop-Premi...284878&sr=8-32

I still remember their big smiles when my little boys would discover their warm sleeping bags - a super warm bear on a super cold night. When we got our E21 I put in some heating blankets for us but I eventually took them out - they could only be used with hook-ups. We always have hot water so they were replaced them with these if we want more warmth - so nice on the feet. Works for us big kids, too!

https://www.amazon.com/All-one-tech-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=.

However, since you live in the 'clammy cold' PNW, totally understand your dilemma. Electric blankets probably sound very good to you. And if you think you'll use your microwave on road trips...then I could see a bigger permanent inverter being a welcomed addition to your pad! -Bea

PS - I see that my previous link to my sister's coffee maker didn't work. Sorry! Here it is
https://www.amazon.com/Supernon-non-...1287350&sr=8-2
Love the bears. But never trusted anything with hot water in the bed!

The link worked for me. I always thought those were great until I saw the size of one. Maybe they are smaller now but they looked like they would take a ton of room.
Old 06-04-2020, 12:57 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I haven’t looked at an inverter yet and just use portables when needed. May look at it when I change over to Lithium.
Someone said ETI can only do all outlet during construction, but I seem to recall some members putting in all outlet setup aftermarket. Has someone done this, or is it only possible to do a single outlet aftermarket?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:05 PM   #32
Bea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Love the bears. But never trusted anything with hot water in the bed!

The link worked for me. I always thought those were great until I saw the size of one. Maybe they are smaller now but they looked like they would take a ton of room.
Actually, we have used hot water bottles a lot (for camping) and I've never had one leak (knock on wood) - they screw on pretty tight!

And yes, those stove top coffee makers are not small and do take up some room - good point! I'm guessing, close in size to an average drip coffee maker?? My sister doesn't even have a lot of storage space in her trailer...but she seems very content and doesn't mind the size of this one at all. On the other hand, our Escape trailers generally have plenty of storage - a huge plus for us. In fact, I know I could put a lot more stuff in my 21 but I am already close to my weight limit, so now I am more weight-conscious than space-conscious.

BTW my youngest son drinks coffee now so when he joins us, I bring a French press coffee maker for him. He gives French pressed coffee a -Bea
Old 06-04-2020, 01:30 PM   #33

Bea,
My grandma used warm hard boiled eggs for the kids lunches, kept their hands warm on the way to school and was still good to eat at lunch time. One caveat on the stovetop coffee makers, the recessed stove now in use has some restrictions on size, that coleman model may not work.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:38 PM   #34

I find it somewhat contradictory that someone who admittedly is “not an inverter person” would be going on to further post two comments which could be perceived as relatively negative or an attempt to discourage (influence) others from using inverters on the premise that “I don’t think inverters are useful so nobody else should either.” Yet I also see this as a legitimate Inverter opinion many on this forum have. I do recognize that Jim’s needs/style differs from my own; we all have varying preferences and I do respect his.
Carl,
I have seen so many people here order inverters and ended up not using it nor understand how they work. New owners, particularly new to camping seem to order everything listed on the option sheet without knowing if it is useful nor how to use the item. I learned by purchasing new campers, each one different. I was just trying to say, if you have not used one, nor know you even need one, perhaps now is not the time to spend money for an inverter on your new Escape. Perhaps an asterisk build sheet for those items that can not be added later and those that can be. I'll be glad to discuss this issue over some beers someday.....
Old 06-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #35

Well, in this case, I do know what they do. I have a portable one. So really did want to know what the one Escape supplies can do in the trailer. I hadn't thought about the microwave and that may be reason to have one but still deciding.

What is the transfer switch?

"Inverter 1500W (Includes 1 additional 120V outlet - Requires Dual 6V Batteries) +$632.00
Inverter 1500W (Includes transfer switch and all outlets - Requires Dual 6V Batteries) +$872.00"
Old 06-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #36

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Well, in this case, I do know what they do. I have a portable one. So really did want to know what the one Escape supplies can do in the trailer. I hadn't thought about the microwave and that may be reason to have one but still deciding.

"Inverter 1500W (Includes 1 additional 120V outlet - Requires Dual 6V Batteries) +$632.00
Inverter 1500W (Includes transfer switch and all outlets - Requires Dual 6V Batteries) +$872.00"

The transfer switch will give inverted power to all outlets with out it you will have one outlet.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:56 PM   #37

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Someone said ETI can only do all outlet during construction, but I seem to recall some members putting in all outlet setup aftermarket. Has someone done this, or is it only possible to do a single outlet aftermarket?
It is certainly possible to do an all-outlet installation aftermarket. It would require re-routing the wiring for the circuits with outlets from the distribution (breaker) panel in the Power Center to a small new additional panel, and working with the length of existing cables would limit location choices for that panel, but there's no reason that it can't be done. There are only two circuits with outlets supplied by the inverter in the optional Escape installation.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 01:58 PM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
It's an automatic switch which connects the circuits with outlets to the inverter when using the inverter, and to power from the shore power cable when you're plugged in.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 02:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It's an automatic switch which connects the circuits with outlets to the inverter when using the inverter, and to power from the shore power cable when you're plugged in.
Thanks. "Automatic" is the key word there for me, wasn't sure if it was something one had to change for each use.

One of the considerations in figuring each of these options out: I don't use an inverter much now- because I don't have one. Same for microwave. But if. I did have it I might change somewhat how I camp and then would use it and be glad of it. So it is trying to see into the future. I didn't like the microwave in my Campster because it moved around when I traveled and the turntable made noise. Didn't like it in the 15A for weight (and it also moved around since it wasn't mounted in the cupboard). But use mine at home all the time.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:49 PM   #40
Bea

Quote:
Bea,
My grandma used warm hard boiled eggs for the kids lunches, kept their hands warm on the way to school and was still good to eat at lunch time. One caveat on the stovetop coffee makers, the recessed stove now in use has some restrictions on size, that coleman model may not work.
Here's to our sweet and thoughtful Grandmas!