What did I forget - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdusty View Post
5) Purchased Brake Controller and harness - will be installed by the Honda Dealership at my next oil change.
Presumably you will have them wire power to the "battery charge" pin of the connector as well, not just the lights and the brake control wire.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #22

Quote:
I understand that in general, you want the ball mount to be slightly higher than the trailer coupler to account for the trailer's tongue weight. The top of my ball is presently 16 inches from the ground. I have asked ESI what the trailer coupler height is so that I can adjust the height of the ball if needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
ETI told me the top of the 2 inch ball needs to be 19 inches.
So you need additional height, but you may not want an adjustable ball mount:
  • they are more expensive than a fixed mount
  • they are heavier than a fixed mount
  • they usually protrude further rearward than a fixed mount, which causes more load transfer from the tug's front axle to it's rear, and decreases towing stability
You can get two mounts covering the two most likely needed heights, and return the one you don't need. You can figure out the right height when you pick up the trailer, and just buy the right one locally (Escape usually works with Trademasters, but there are lots of places to buy ball mounts).
Old 01-09-2018, 03:49 PM   #23

Quote:
Is a Hitch Lock the same as a Coupler Lock.
Normally yes, but by "hitch lock" someone might mean a locking pin (instead of the standard non-locking pin) which holds the ball mount into the hitch receiver... that's separate from a lock which blocks anyone from hooking their tow vehicle up to your trailer's coupler socket.

Quote:
Are wheel locks required?
What do you mean by wheel locks?

If you mean some form of "locking" security wheel nuts: Some people use them, but they're certainly not required. I have even replaced the security nuts on my car and van with more convenient regular nuts, as I don't live in a place where people steal wheels from vehicles.

If you mean a "boot" type of clamp which goes around the wheel to immobilize the trailer: Some people use these in storage, especially if stored in an unsecured area. My trailers sit in my driveway; they don't have locks like this. It would be unusual to take one along while traveling.
Old 01-09-2018, 03:55 PM   #24

You can have Escape fill the water and propane tanks.

The only reason I can think of to have them fill the propane tanks is to have propane for system demonstration and testing during orientation; otherwise, you can get them filled when you leave the factory, and confirm right away that you understand how to get them filled (and save a couple of bucks).

Similarly for water, having water in the fresh water tank for demonstration and testing could be handy (and in this case there's presumably no cost). On the other hand, if you want the trailer winterized (given the March pickup and Calgary destination) you would want the tanks empty. You might want to give some thought to how you will be using the trailer on the trip home.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

The only reason I can think of to have them fill the propane tanks is to have propane for system demonstration and testing during orientation; otherwise, you can get them filled when you leave the factory, and confirm right away that you understand how to get them filled (and save a couple of bucks).

Similarly for water, having water in the fresh water tank for demonstration and testing could be handy (and in this case there's presumably no cost). On the other hand, if you want the trailer winterized (given the March pickup and Calgary destination) you would want the tanks empty. You might want to give some thought to how you will be using the trailer on the trip home.
Brian,
The op is totally new both to camping and owing a trailer and does not know how to remove the propane tanks and the proper filling of the on board water system. A turn key type operation would better suit the 'newbie" vs having to figure it out on the road at the first nights stop. Escape can leave the refer on and show him the pump operation during orientation in lieu of the op figuring it out after a perhaps harrowing towing experience. A lot of new owners seem to forget items told to them during orientation as they want to take possession and get on the road.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The op is totally new both to camping and owing a trailer and does not know how to remove the propane tanks and the proper filling of the on board water system. A turn key type operation would better suit the 'newbie" vs having to figure it out on the road at the first nights stop.
Given the home location of Calgary, and early start to the camping season, there will be a first time to fill propane (it won't last until the trailer is traded in, like it has for some people). On day one, in daytime, in Chilliwack, a couple of minutes from the factory... seems like the perfect first time to me.

But sure, weeks or months later (for propane) works, too... just check to be sure that there's enough propane before leaving on each trip (such as a full reserve tank), to keep that first time from being a panic.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:12 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Starter Kit which OP says they included on the build sheet comes with filled propane tanks.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:14 PM   #28

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:

We had one propane tank filled. We had them run the furnace which was soon not running as we tried it (wrongly) and a tech had to fix it. We also were able to get the tongue weight and see what we thought before filling both tanks. Had a Sherline scale with us. Turned out we needed more tongue weight and soon filled the other tank.

Of course, fresh water would not necessarily be good for winter. Don't know if they can test with some and empty that at orientation. Water could just be dropped on the way up the road, I guess. But then have to add anti-freeze to the lines and all maybe. Only takes ten minutes with EZ winterizing if the other tanks are kept nearly empty. Put a minimum to try the lines. Guess it would depend upon what all someone wanted to test there before leaving with the trailer.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
Starter Kit which OP says they included on the build sheet comes with filled propane tanks.
Good catch - the propane filling question is then moot.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:24 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
March isn't exactly winter in Chilliwack.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-01-09 at 2.22.51 PM.png  
Old 01-09-2018, 04:26 PM   #31

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen99 View Post
As you have noted, the Starter Kit includes the propane tanks, purged and filled. Is it a good idea to get the Propane Cover sold by ESI for $30. I am getting the Storage Box.

The Trailer will be completed by the end of January so will be winterized for the 6 weeks of storage. Our plan is to travel to Calgary after orientation and not actually camp until sometime in April so water shouldn't be needed.
Sawdusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 04:43 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I don't see the propane tank cover or the spare tire cover in the list of options, so I'm wondering where you got the idea they weren't included as standard.
What you might want is a can of Krylon Fusion paint for plastic in Dover White to paint the propane tank cover. It's a blue/white as it comes and the Dover White matches the gelcoat.
Old 01-09-2018, 04:44 PM   #33

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
A minor point...but why do you have insurance coverage an additional month and a half when you don't take possession until mid-March? (Despite #2, the trailer is not yours until ETI transfers ownership, I believe.)
Escape is requiring that people pay in full by the completion date. And if ordered, which it is, it is finished then. Someone can buy a trailer and have a certain number of days in their state or province to register and title it. They may not do either for a while but still bought the trailer. Same for a car. Importation, for Americans, simply confuses it all! Especially for insurance companies who may not want cover a trailer which is in Canada.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:08 PM   #34

Trailer: None now
Quote:

They do not charge extra up there for the initial fill of a tank?
Here the first fill adds $5 as they have to properly purge it and they charge for the service. I'm used to that so Escapes charge was fine. Of course the exchange helped a bit too but higher initial fill charges are normal to me.
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
I did get the additional insulation top and bottom and the thermal windows but I will try to avoid winter camping if possible.

Glad you did. Keeps it cooler during the day and warmer at night.

Try coming to the Escape rally in May! Lots to learn, and lots of fun!!
Old 01-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #36

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
If you mean a "boot" type of clamp which goes around the wheel to immobilize the trailer: Some people use these in storage, especially if stored in an unsecured area. My trailers sit in my driveway; they don't have locks like this. It would be unusual to take one along while traveling.
I *always* put on my Nemesis boot clamp while camping and at home. If it's not hitched to the truck, it has the clamp on, as I assume I'll be out and about in the truck and will be leaving the trailer unattended. Yes, not everyone will do that, but we do. The time it takes to install is time well worth it. That, and the cat graphics on the trailer, get the most comments from other campers. And I get to hear stories about how either a trailer they owned or by someone else got stolen and how the boot clamp could have prevented that from happening. Stolen from campgrounds, home and storage units.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC04986.jpg  
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:17 PM   #37

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
On top of all the good technical advise you are receiving on this thread I'd advise that you take some towing lessons at a reputable source. It seems to me that this would be extremely beneficial if you are towing your brand new treasure home over the Coq and the Rockies on your way back to Calgary, Alberta.

In my view, someone completely new to towing would benefit from towing lessons. I'd advice that you run some good hills and figure out how to actually use the brake controller before you tackle to Coquihalla. You will have a far more relaxed trip.

A few years ago, my wife and I had never towed before picking up our new Escape and greatly appreciated our towing lessons.

Larry
I took mine through RV Driving School. I don't know if they offer lessons in Canada as their map location thingie wasn't working for me a few minutes ago.

https://www.rvschool.com/

There is a place next to ETI, but I decided not to go with them as I was going to get more "bang for the buck" through the Driving School. Well worth it!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 06:23 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 19'
When I picked up in feb 2017, had wrong height for ball. Dennis replaced w correct one. Charge was minimal.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:44 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I *always* put on my Nemesis boot clamp while camping and at home. If it's not hitched to the truck, it has the clamp on, as I assume I'll be out and about in the truck and will be leaving the trailer unattended. Yes, not everyone will do that, but we do. The time it takes to install is time well worth it. That, and the cat graphics on the trailer, get the most comments from other campers. And I get to hear stories about how either a trailer they owned or by someone else got stolen and how the boot clamp could have prevented that from happening. Stolen from campgrounds, home and storage units.
Us too ! The trailer is a big purchase want to keep it ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
I *always* put on my Nemesis boot clamp while camping and at home. If it's not hitched to the truck, it has the clamp on, as I assume I'll be out and about in the truck and will be leaving the trailer unattended.
I respect your approach to protecting your trailer and to each his own, but isn’t the bright orange a little obtrusive for the average campground? I understand the theory that you might want a would-be vandal to see it and move on, but it could have the opposite effect too. They might say “what is in that trailer that is so valuable it needs that bulky, commercial wheel lock? Let me take a closer look.” The first thing I would do to that thing is paint it hunter green.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote