What would you add to 5.0TA order? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2020, 11:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
What would you add to 5.0TA order?

Probably going to order 5.0TA if we can find something fairly nearby.

Want to have my ducks in a row.
I've tried a search but didn't see any posts... thought I had as I've been studying for months... maybe not using right terms.

Know it's hard to impossible to add items afterwards...
so please help with our wish list.

Some are easy to figure for us:
u shaped dinette with pedestal
electric awning
A/C with heat strip
don't feel like we need the 3 burner stove
not adding solar right now, but would like the option later... don't really understand those options choices
Wireless back up camera
prewired for microwave
foot flush
toilet shutoff valve
surge protector
removable power cord
dual batteries
TV cable ready
frameless thermal windows
Don't want full cabinet to right when entering. Think standard half cabinet is good for us.
Want kitchen cabinet extension
hardly ever used outdoor shower on other campers... is it important for resale?

Where do you need extra lights? interior? exterior?
Where do you need extra electrical outlets? interior? exterior?
How can you get deeper/larger kitchen sink?
Where would you place the propane quick connect?
Opinions on the keyless entry?
Opinions on exterior storage hatch?
Is there a standard window in bathroom? see option for opening window. or if you want a window in bathroom do you need to order option of window that opens? Seems like a window is a good idea.
I guess high lift axel is good idea... then I guess you need double step?
I guess spray insulation is a good idea. Is heating pads options only important for camping during freezing weather? Not sure we will do any of that.
Closet shelves option seems very expensive @ $60/shelf

What else do you ask for that doesn't show up on list?

Sorry for all the questions, but so appreciate advice from experienced folks.
Thanks in advance for your time and trouble.
Want2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 12:54 AM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I really don't know where you're going to get a 190 watt solar panel with controller installed for about $850 US. It's there all the time, charges your batteries when you don't have a electric site, and works great for such a small sum of money. Price a solar package fully installed from another vendor. Note even close to $850. Your choice though.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-09-2020, 01:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
The options we got for our Escape 19 which was completed in January. We wanted to keep the budget low as I don't like financing toys and wanted it paid for this year. Anything else we can add later.

Air Conditioning
Manual Awning
Outdoor Shower (often used for doing dishes outside, rinsing feet)
Door on end of dinette bench
Flip up counter extension at bed
Awning LED strip
Propane disconnect

We sold our 2007 Escape 17B expecting to find a 19 at a reasonable price, but they are rare in the Canadian market east of Calgary. It didn't make sense to bring one up from the states because of exchange rates, so, order new.

The only other RV I would be happy with would cost $150k. Escape makes a great trailer.
Old 03-09-2020, 04:41 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Highly recommend solar and dual 6 volts. Everything in your trailer can operate off battery/propane except the air conditioning. Thus no hookups are needed all the time. Drop the tank heaters, you need hookups for them to operate properly. Shelves can be added later. Spray foam underneath protects your tanks and helps in the shoulder seasons. Bath window is option. It is useful for bath ventilation as well as light. The outside hatch maybe helpful for access under the dinette seats from outside, it is a PITA doing it inside.
Extra 12v outlets are helpful for your 12v television as well as computers and phones, think where these will be used, in loft and around the dinette, there is a standard one included by your door cabinet. Same for extra 120v outlets either up in loft around the bed and downstairs.
Ask Escape for standard location for the included 12v and 120v items and you can start there. Good luck and keep us in the "loop".
Old 03-09-2020, 05:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
High lift axle not really needed if you are not going off road, at least IMO. And if you are, then you are probably boondocking and should install solar.
Last I knew, ETI would only place the propane QD in one location only.
Outdoor shower is nice to have on door side of trailer, placed low and as far from door as possible. Good for washing dishes outside rather than making a mess inside, rinsing sand from bare feet if in a beach location, or for washing pets if you have them.
And most likely to cause controversy here but strictly my opinion from MY past experience, a small quartz heater, when moderate heat is needed, is better than heat strips. In near freezing temperatures (33° F), mine has easily kept the trailer at 72° all night long on its lowest setting (900 watts vs. 1,500 watts). My experience with heat strips in two previously owned trailers is if they are not activated before the trailer gets cold, they struggle to get it warmed. Of course the furnace could be used to bring it up to a comfortable temperature first. Perhaps others have had different experiences with heat strips than me and can post their thoughts.
Old 03-09-2020, 06:37 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Oops, from post 3, I forgot to mention kitchen window and bathroom window. They can’t be added later and the extra light and ventilation is very important to me especially in the rain.

Air Conditioning
Manual Awning
Outdoor Shower (often used for doing dishes outside, rinsing feet)
Door on end of dinette bench
Flip up counter extension at bed
Awning LED strip
Propane disconnect
Kitchen Window
Bathroom Window
Old 03-09-2020, 08:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We have dual factory rooftop solar panels . If I was to do it again , I would get one rooftop panel and the Zamp port so I could plug in my portable solar panel when necessary
Like Perryb67 said Escape’s prices on solar are extremely reasonable especially when compared to aftermarket installs .
We did not get the A/C with the heat strip a mistake I greatly regret ! It was standard equipment on our Casita so I made a poor assumption this time around .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The outside hatch maybe helpful for access under the dinette seats from outside, it is a PITA doing it inside.
Extra 12v outlets are helpful for your 12v television as well as computers and phones, think where these will be used, in loft and around the dinette, there is a standard one included by your door cabinet. Same for extra 120v outlets either up in loft around the bed and downstairs.
That outside hatch underneath the dinette seat on the passenger side should be standard. We use that area to hold our chocks, Andersen levelers, lego's and other items we use when setting up the camper. Works way better than digging in the bed of our truck.

We switched the 110 outlets in the loft with 12v/USB outlets at no cost. Use them all the time.

I wish we would have had a 12v/USB outlet installed next to the refrigerator in the upper cabinet. We use that area to charge phones and our computers. We have a USB outlet on the floor on the drivers side dinette seat and don't like the wires in our way. When I get a chance I'll be installing a 12v/USB outlet in that upper cabinet, but the wire running up will be exposed in the corner, unless I can figure out a way to get it behind the refrigerator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
High lift axle not really needed if you are not going off road, at least IMO. And if you are, then you are probably boondocking and should install solar.
Our F150 bed sides are so tall that we NEED the high lift package. We've been in a couple of gullys where the camper would have hit the bed sides or tailgate without the package. We have an adjustable height step that we use all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We have dual factory rooftop solar panels . If I was to do it again , I would get one rooftop panel and the Zamp port so I could plug in my portable solar panel when necessary

Like Perryb67 said Escape’s prices on solar are extremely reasonable especially when compared to aftermarket installs .
Purchase the Zamp port. It's cheap! After 200 nights we ran into a couple of times where our roof solar could not keep up and purchased a portable for those rare times.

We have the two burner stovetop and don't miss the oven. Terry uses the outside Weber grill as an oven to bake potatoes and bread.

We still question getting the heating pads and we've camped at less than 15 degrees a few times.

We asked for no table in the dinette area. Didn't want the post to stumble on in the floor. We have a Lifetime 30" x 20" portable table that we've used a couple of times inside, but all the time outside, especially under the outside shower to wash dishes.

If you get the u-shaped dinette, purchase one filler cushion and a 4" back cushion. We use that area as a lounging area. Love it!

The standard back cushion for the u-shaped dinette is 2". When sitting in the area your back will hit the window knobs. We ordered the 4" cushion and problem solved. We had two different owners tell us of that problem when we attended the Mississippi River Rendezvous before our build.

We also had the rear back and seat cushions split so you don't have to manhandle those huge cushions to get to the storage underneath.

Finally, get AGM or lithium batteries so you don't have to be constantly checking the fluid level in the flooded batteries that are inconveniently located underneath the dinette bench. OTOH, they are conveniently located out of the way and prevent theft. You just bring them when you pickup the camper. If you have the discretionary income, get a Battle Born Lithium battery.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-09-2020, 05:52 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0 ta
I would definitely put an outside 12v/USB port outside under the awning. As I write this That’s where I am sitting with my iPad plugged in.we also have these on either side if the bed and they are used all the time.
GimliGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:18 AM   #10

Thank you all for your thoughts!
Project has been put on hold until we can freely travel again.
Prayers for good health for all...
and for the good ole days to return quickly!
Old 05-04-2020, 09:28 AM   #11

Thanks again everyone! We decided to go ahead and get an inventoried 5.0 that Escape Trailers had listed. So think it is pretty well loaded and I guess other additions will need to be after-market type add ons. We are excited.

Of course plenty of questions to come! So thanks for you help and future help!
Old 05-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Answers and opinions in bue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2Go View Post
Know it's hard to impossible to add items afterwards...
so please help with our wish list.
I agree with many of your options with the added exceptions.

Some are easy to figure for us:
u shaped dinette with pedestal
electric awning
A/C with heat strip I personally would not bother with this, the furnace works great
don't feel like we need the 3 burner stove
not adding solar right now, but would like the option later... don't really understand those options choices I did this and added sem- flexible Lexun panels at home, and love them.
Wireless back up camera Sorry, not an option I care fore
prewired for microwave The outlet is installed regardless of getting one or not. We do not have one, nor would we want one.
foot flush We did go for this, but now really wonder why. Our shoes have scuffed up the lever
toilet shutoff valve
surge protector
removable power cord
dual batteries
TV cable ready
frameless thermal windows
Don't want full cabinet to right when entering. Think standard half cabinet is good for us. Personally, I really do not like the idea of a full height cabinet there. That is a handy counter, especially for marshalling stuff going in or out
Want kitchen cabinet extension
hardly ever used outdoor shower on other campers... is it important for resale? Adding one on the passenger side at a height for use cooking and cleaning is something I proposed years ago, and now really enjoy the benefits of

Where do you need extra lights? interior? exterior? Personalty do not need any. I did have them run DC to use for interior cabinet lights I installed, a very nice thing.
Where do you need extra electrical outlets? interior? exterior? Don't need them. However 12V/USB should be added wherever you think you might want to charge devices
How can you get deeper/larger kitchen sink? I would not want a sink larger than a plate to save counter space. I installed my own sink and it is a bit deeper, but that too is not really needed.
Where would you place the propane quick connect? I installed my own in a hatch, but think Escape only does them in front of the step. You do want it accessible on the passenger side.
Opinions on the keyless entry? Bought my own at RVLOCKS.com and love it
Opinions on exterior storage hatch? I built my own and put it on the rear of the trailer, but I am weird.
Is there a standard window in bathroom? see option for opening window. or if you want a window in bathroom do you need to order option of window that opens? Seems like a window is a good idea. Love the bath window
I guess high lift axel is good idea... then I guess you need double step? Personally, owning two different Escapes in 11 years, I have never felt the need, and I have travelled off the highway quite a bit.
I guess spray insulation is a good idea. Is heating pads options only important for camping during freezing weather? Not sure we will do any of that.I never did the spray as I wanted it left open to do stuff, but will be adding some 2" rigid foam in the walking area. Heat pads, though 12V do need you to be connected to 120V to work for very long and only needed if you go way below freezing
Closet shelves option seems very expensive @ $60/shelf I wear collared shirts a lot and very much prefer hanging. We get lots of stuff in there, and can stack stuff along the rear and use the bottom for storage too

What else do you ask for that doesn't show up on list?
. Your best option here is to peruse the past threads on the topic and see what others have done. Do remember that what is good for others, or even for me, does not mean it is a need for you. Take the time to decide what it is that would work best for your desired travel and camping style.

And do have fun with this process. Enjoy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 10:09 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

Our F150 bed sides are so tall that we NEED the high lift package. We've been in a couple of gullys where the camper would have hit the bed sides or tailgate without the package. We have an adjustable height step that we use all the time.
Enjoy,
Perry
First Question!

Perry and others,
Total rookie on all this... so thanks for your advice.

We just bought our first truck, F150 2019... used. Sides measured just at 56" so needing the high lift package. I was told we could it could be added. Agree?

Second Question:
The bed measures 5'5" with liner. Seeing posts that the preferred hitch is:

Andersen Rails Version of the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Would you agree?

Follow ups:
1.Would you guess the king pin attachment would but placed in the normal position or would it need to be reversed? I'm very unclear on all that. Not having the trailer to do the measurements, etc.
2. Will liner cause any hitch issues?

Really appreciate all your help... definitely more questions to come.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
We just bought our first truck, F150 2019... used. Sides measured just at 56" so needing the high lift package. I was told we could it could be added. Agree?

Second Question:
The bed measures 5'5" with liner. Seeing posts that the preferred hitch is:Andersen Rails Version of the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Would you agree?

Follow ups:
1.Would you guess the king pin attachment would but placed in the normal position or would it need to be reversed? I'm very unclear on all that. Not having the trailer to do the measurements, etc.

]Really appreciate all your help... definitely more questions to come.
That is the height of my bed rails. No lifted axle. No problem at all. And yes, it can be added later if deemed necessary.

They will set up the hitch coupler the right way, with hitch pin ahead of the ball.

A spray in liner works just fine.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 07:43 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
That is the height of my bed rails. No lifted axle. No problem at all. And yes, it can be added later if deemed necessary.

They will set up the hitch coupler the right way, with hitch pin ahead of the ball.

A spray in liner works just fine.
Thanks for both excellent replies Jim!

We will have the 5.0 delivered.
Adding the lift, is that something a local shops routinely add?
And maybe we will need to send them the hitch coupler ahead of departure time? I guess we have to have the hitch in the truck before trailer arrives.

Thanks for your willingness to help!
Old 05-06-2020, 11:11 AM   #16

Trailer: 2019 Escape 5.0 TA
We were not sure about solar but did include it, and absolutely recommend having it! We have gone days without hookups and no problems. Also, wish we had USB charging ports in cubbies at the head of the bed.
Jknairn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:45 AM   #17

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Rear bumper 2" hitch and 4 pin connector for a bike rack or carryall and a lights kit
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:18 PM   #18

Quote:
First Question!

We have a 2019 F150 quad cab, 3.5 EB, Lariat, 6 1/2' box, with the Ford additional heavy duty springs in back.

We originally felt we could go without the lift kit, BUT considering the ravines we've had to go through would have eaten up the tailgate or the sides. We have the lift kit and would definitely purchase it again. We're not so sure we could make Cochise Stronghold Campground without the lift kit. Our friends in their Airstream won't even try.

Quote:
Second Question:
The bed measures 5'5" with liner. Seeing posts that the preferred hitch is:

Andersen Rails Version of the Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection
Would you agree?
Having had a Reese 5th wheel hitch in the past and now having the Andersen, I'd never have a conventional hitch, like the Reese, again. Too damn heavy! The Andersen is awesome.

We have the 6 1/2' bed and wanted as much storage space as possible, so we got the Andersen rail bed version. You only have a 5 1/2' bed. Currently the hitch is out of the pickup, and the rails have never prevented us from doing anything. They're only about an inch tall and rounded, so they don't catch anything.

Quote:
Follow ups:

ETI installed the pin box that connects to the camper incorrectly. Since we purchased the lift package I had to lower that hitch to the bottom holes to get level.

ETI will install the Andersen pin box portion to the rear for more side and rear clearance. Even with a 5 1/2' box you will be fine.

A liner will not cause any problems.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-06-2020, 01:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jknairn View Post
We were not sure about solar but did include it, and absolutely recommend having it! We have gone days without hookups and no problems. Also, wish we had USB charging ports in cubbies at the head of the bed.
Ditto both of these items for us.

I will put in the USB ports, but I would put it on the build sheet if doing again.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Ditto both of these items for us.

I will put in the USB ports, but I would put it on the build sheet if doing again.
We hem and hawed if we wanted the 12v/USB outlets at the head or foot of the bed. We had ETI install the outlets at the foot. They are more accessible there and are used all the time. For us, that was the correct choice.

We deleted the 110 outlet for the TV and installed a 12v/usb there at no charge. The other side we had to pay $75.

We also have 12v/usb on the outside next to the entry door and use it frequently. Plus we put a 12v/usb underneath the dinette bench.

On hindsight, I wish we would have put that dinette 12v/usb next to the refrigerator in the cabinet over the driver's side dinette seat. That location would have eliminated wires in the way of our legs when using the dinette. I have the wire and outlet, and just need to find the time to add the outlet in the upper cabinet.

Enjoy,

Perry