whats the best portable solar panel? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2017, 01:40 PM   #21

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
I don't have personal experience with this but the Samlex 90W portable tri-fold has been tested by Larry at Little House Customs. He currently offers it on his website for $399 but with a pigtail made specifically for Casitas. I see the factory 90W kit on Amazon for $366. They also have a 135W kit for $500.

90 Watt Solar Module Portable Charging Kit | MSK-90
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:50 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Pretty soon, you too can make Youtube video reviews for us!
I could call myself the Naked Camper.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 01:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I could call myself the Naked Camper.
Between you and Dave I am getting some horrible images burned into my brain.... I hope beer can erase them!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 02:17 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Glass is glass. They do shatter. Don't ask me how I know.

If I wanted an additional panel for portable use I'd get a flexible one. Much lighter, and easier to store. And, if desired, easier to make a protective sleeve for.

Ron
Hi Ron,
Do you have a recommendation for flexible panels? Usually they operate at lower level of efficiency than solid glass covered panels .... as I understand last I looked into them. Cost more per watt too .... I think but then the whole solar scene is rapidly improving.

Looking forward to your pictures and insights from your Baja travels.

Tom
Old 02-22-2017, 02:41 PM   #25

Just brainstorming, but has anyone with a 17 or 19 contemplated the idea of a solar panel mount utilizing the front window rock guard? If the panel could be made to attach and detach it could be the best of both worlds. Mounted more out of harms way on the trailer (and a one axis tilt) when parked in the sun or could be used on the ground with a cord extension when trailer is in the shade. I assume the rock guard hinges would need some reinforcement because they are a bit flimsy, but I did come across this photo of what appears to be an older 17 with a panel. Would be removed for travel if that wasn't obvious. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2017, 03:23 PM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just brainstorming, but has anyone with a 17 or 19 contemplated the idea of a solar panel mount utilizing the front window rock guard? Thoughts?
The window awning mounting is very flimsy. The brackets would likely have to be made stronger. The mounting points are marginal even without the added weight of a solar panel.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 06:02 PM   #27

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Renogy panel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
I haven't used ours yet. Do you find it capable of keeping up with your usage if you are careful? That may be a dumb question since peoples usage varies and seasonal / weather sun exposure varies.
Seems to do a pretty good job depending on sunlight of course. I never hook up to shore power and haven't had a problem for two or three days in one spot. I like the fact that it can be moved around as the sun moves around. And you can have it in the sun with the trailer in the shade. The cover it comes with protects it really well I find. I see they have come down in price a little, I paid $400CDN now they are $350CDN
Old 02-22-2017, 06:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I am looking at the RENOGY Foldable Solar Suitcase Kit 100W Mono Without Charge Controller. to hook up to the zamp port you need a MC4 Sae adapter and their mc4 extension cord that comes in 10 or 12awg
It also comes in a cloth zippered case.
What do you guys think?
Perfect, we used ours in Quartzsite and by the time the sun hit the roof mounted panels we were already fully charged using our Renogy 100 watt panel. The Renogy has a semi hard suitcase that protects it very well.

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:05 AM   #29

Trailer: egg camper 2007

Here's a great deal. You can bypass the built in controller and run it through your onboard controller.
https://www.solarblvd.com/product_in...oducts_id=2754
Old 02-23-2017, 08:41 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
I have seen a couple of postings on eBay for flexible folding portable panels that only weigh a couple of pounds. Seems like something that could be stashed somewhere in the trailer and not take up a lot of room. One had a nylon cover and another was on a frame. Anyone seen these in the flesh? Maybe hang in the closet.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post

Here's a great deal. You can bypass the built in controller and run it through your onboard controller.
https://www.solarblvd.com/product_in...oducts_id=2754
I've been racking my brain with all of these posts regarding solar panels! I have the solar package on my 2016 17B, I'd like to add a port for an external, foldable panel, connected through the onboard samlex SCC-30AB controller. Would I wire the external port directly to the controller input or add a connection to the incoming wire from the roof mounted panels? Thanks!
Dave
Old 02-23-2017, 10:25 AM   #32

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapingBuffalo View Post
I've been racking my brain with all of these posts regarding solar panels! I have the solar package on my 2016 17B, I'd like to add a port for an external, foldable panel, connected through the onboard samlex SCC-30AB controller. Would I wire the external port directly to the controller input or add a connection to the incoming wire from the roof mounted panels? Thanks!
Dave
I'm sure more comments will follow....but here's my take:
The connection at the controller input, or the wire coming from the installed panels are electrically the "same". Oh, there may be some small voltage drop, but what you are trying to do is connect the 12v panels in parallel. The trick is making the physical connection itself. (terminal blocks, ring terminals, inline connectors of some type...) I have not started work on my install yet, so take it with a grain of salt as usual.

Glenn
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:38 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
I'm sure more comments will follow....but here's my take:
The connection at the controller input, or the wire coming from the installed panels are electrically the "same". Oh, there may be some small voltage drop, but what you are trying to do is connect the 12v panels in parallel. The trick is making the physical connection itself. (terminal blocks, ring terminals, inline connectors of some type...) I have not started work on my install yet, so take it with a grain of salt as usual.

Glenn
With my recently gained knowledge on parts of this topic, I would agree with this. Just too add that for maximum performance one does have to ensure the voltage of the two panels is similar. I have found most to be at or near 18V.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
I have seen a couple of postings on eBay for flexible folding portable panels that only weigh a couple of pounds. Seems like something that could be stashed somewhere in the trailer and not take up a lot of room. One had a nylon cover and another was on a frame. Anyone seen these in the flesh? Maybe hang in the closet.
Yes, as I've mentioned before, a friend replaced his traditional panels with flexible ones last year. He has very high skills in the electrical area and is very happy with their output and convenience. He also inadvertently tested the durability by dropping a cordless drill 3' onto one. It was undamaged.

If I add another panel it will be a flexible one for convenience in handling and storage.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #35

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes, as I've mentioned before, a friend replaced his traditional panels with flexible ones last year. He has very high skills in the electrical area and is very happy with their output and convenience. He also inadvertently tested the durability by dropping a cordless drill 3' onto one. It was undamaged.

If I add another panel it will be a flexible one for convenience in handling and storage.

Ron
Here is one with what looks like a woven nylon cover. Not a lot of info and from China. Hmmmmm?

Elfeland 100W 18V Mono Flexible Folding Solar Panel For Battery Charger Boat | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
s-l500.jpg  

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 12:51 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
Here is one with what looks like a woven nylon cover. Not a lot of info and from China. Hmmmmm?

Elfeland 100W 18V Mono Flexible Folding Solar Panel For Battery Charger Boat | eBay
In my many hours or researching, before coming to the conclusion of which ones I would buy, I came across this brand a couple times, and never heard anything bad about them.

As for being from China, I would not worry too much as long as you do your research. Almost all solar is made there, and they will build to any quality level that buyers demand.
Old 02-23-2017, 01:57 PM   #37

Trailer: egg camper 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapingBuffalo View Post
Dave
Yes, you add it right to the controller.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I have a small 5 watt solar panel that I use to trickle charge the 12 volt battery on my sail boat. I just plug the cord into the 12 volt socket (cigarette lighter) on the boat and things are good. Is it possible to plug a portable solar panel into the trailer's 12 volt socket and have the batteries charge? Note that the electrical system on my sailboat is very simple. There are no charge controllers, inverters or other equipment. Just a battery, some lights and a radio.
Ray B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 02:57 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkman View Post
Yes, you add it right to the controller.
The Samlex SCC-30AB only has two terminals for the PV array which would be used by ETI's stock connections. Samlex assumes you have all of your panels wired in parallel before making your final connection to the controller. Yeah, it would work if he could land another set of wires for his external port for portable panel right on the controller terminals, but I think ideally all panel connections are wired together with an appropriate DC circuit breaker/fuse between the panels and the controller as recommended by most manufacturers. Does ETI provide a fusing means between the array and the controller?
Attached Thumbnails
SCC-30AB.JPG  
Old 02-23-2017, 03:12 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The Samlex SCC-30AB only has two terminals for the PV array which would be used by ETI's stock connections. Samlex assumes you have all of your panels wired in parallel before making your final connection to the controller. Yeah, it would work if he could land another set of wires for his external port for portable panel right on the controller terminals, but I think ideally all panel connections are wired together with an appropriate DC circuit breaker/fuse between the panels and the controller as recommended by most manufacturers. Does ETI provide a fusing means between the array and the controller?
EXACTLY! Much better said Rubicon! This is what I'm trying to figure out! Thanks.
Dave
EscapingBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote