whats the best portable solar panel? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2017, 08:51 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
whats the best portable solar panel?

We are getting the solar panel on top of the Escape, but are also adding the solar port. We want to try out boondocking and would like to get an additional solar panel that we can set up if needed and point toward the sun.

We do not want one with a skimpy frame and one that is not too difficult to store but we do want one that will generate some good power. We would probably carry it in the back of our suv.

Any suggestions?

Do any come with protective covers?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #2

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
While we're on this topic... The portable solar panels if I've seen fold with the solar cells on the outside. Then you put them in the supplied soft or hard case.

They put the most delicate party on the outside! If they have a hard case then they require even more source to store. I seems more logical (at least to me) to fold with the cells on the inside rather than the outside. Am I missing something here?

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post
While we're on this topic... The portable solar panels if I've seen fold with the solar cells on the outside. Then you put them in the supplied soft or hard case.

They put the most delicate party on the outside! If they have a hard case then they require even more source to store. I seems more logical (at least to me) to fold with the cells on the inside rather than the outside. Am I missing something here?

Rich
Folding them the way they do allows a good storage and protection for the cables and charge controller. The glass panels are actually not delicate at all, built to withstand the forces of nature.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post

Rich
It is easy to get a few pebbles on the surface of the folding panels when set up on gravel. Fold the glass sides together with a pebble in between could crack the glass. As long as you use a padded carrier to avoid scratching while traveling, I would stick with the glass on the outside. It is pretty tough stuff...

As to "best" panels, since you will be connecting the portable panel in parallel to the rooftop panels, you should look for a panel that has the closest voltage (Vmp) ratings to the rooftop panel. You will need to look up the specifications for the panels Escape uses (currently GoPower) & what ever portable you plan to add.

If Escape wires the port to the input of the GoPower controller, either use a portable panel without a controller, or bypass it if one is built in.
Old 02-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
I'm in the process of designing my portable system and will probably purchase this 160 watt unit. Looks like a good buy for $179 (US). https://www.solarblvd.com/product_in...oducts_id=2754

I'm waiting to hear from them about a price without the solar charger, which I really don't want.
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:46 AM   #6

I am looking at the RENOGY Foldable Solar Suitcase Kit 100W Mono Without Charge Controller. to hook up to the zamp port you need a MC4 Sae adapter and their mc4 extension cord that comes in 10 or 12awg
It also comes in a cloth zippered case.
What do you guys think?
Old 02-22-2017, 10:47 AM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
We are getting the solar panel on top of the Escape, but are also adding the solar port. We want to try out boondocking and would like to get an additional solar panel that we can set up if needed and point toward the sun.

We do not want one with a skimpy frame and one that is not too difficult to store but we do want one that will generate some good power. We would probably carry it in the back of our suv.

Any suggestions?

Do any come with protective covers?
This is the unit I went with. I got the 90 w version as that should meet our needs. It is designed to cater to the off-road community so is very rugged with a simi-hard molded case. Since the controllers are all contained in the unit, and I have my battery in the front storage box, I also have a port for the storage box wired to the battery that allows me to plug it directly to the port without having wires snaking under the lid. This system is independent of the ETI roof top panel so does not use any of the ETI components.

https://overlandsolar.com

Note: everyones needs are different so you will need to evaluate all the feedback to determine what meets your needs and camping style.

Edit: I should have stated that the way I'm using this system is independent of the ETI components. They are designed so the on-board controllers can be bypassed to integrate into an existing system.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:48 AM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
That's a really good price even if you throw the controller in the garbage. I just paid $239 for a 100 watt panel without controller from Renogy. At $179 for 160 watts that is a deal. Someday I plan on putting two tilt-able 160 watt panels on our trailer but for now I plan on just using a portable 100 watt panel. I just won't use more than we put in. Being tent campers for years just having a toilet and a few lights is a luxury.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
I'm in the process of designing my portable system and will probably purchase this 160 watt unit. Looks like a good buy for $179 (US). https://www.solarblvd.com/product_in...oducts_id=2754

I'm waiting to hear from them about a price without the solar charger, which I really don't want.
Very good price.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:01 AM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
The glass panels are actually not delicate at all, built to withstand the forces of nature.
Glass is glass. They do shatter. Don't ask me how I know.

If I wanted an additional panel for portable use I'd get a flexible one. Much lighter, and easier to store. And, if desired, easier to make a protective sleeve for.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKCamper View Post
That's a really good price even if you throw the controller in the garbage. I just paid $239 for a 100 watt panel without controller from Renogy. At $179 for 160 watts that is a deal. Someday I plan on putting two tilt-able 160 watt panels on our trailer but for now I plan on just using a portable 100 watt panel. I just won't use more than we put in. Being tent campers for years just having a toilet and a few lights is a luxury.
That sounds like the one I am getting ready to order. How do you like it? Is the frame sturdy?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:27 AM   #12

What brand of solar cell and controller does ETI use?
Old 02-22-2017, 11:35 AM   #13

Quote:
I justed used MC4 connectors to bypass the controller on the panel, so it is there should I ever desire to use the panel for a use away from my trailer where no controller is available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Glass is glass. They do shatter. Don't ask me how I know.

If I wanted an additional panel for portable use I'd get a flexible one. Much lighter, and easier to store. And, if desired, easier to make a protective sleeve for.

Ron
Well, be careful then.

I too would go the flexible route with two panels that match my fixed ones, and store in a fabric sleeve with them folded together. It would be easy to make a simple support for them when in use to angle as desired.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-22-2017, 11:37 AM   #14

I posted this in another thread yesterday, but in case some missed it, it is a good read on mixing solar panels, the dos and don'ts.
Mixing solar panels – Dos and Don’ts • SOLAR PANEL SECRETS EXPOSED
Old 02-22-2017, 12:19 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Well, be careful then.

I too would go the flexible route with two panels that match my fixed ones, and store in a fabric sleeve with them folded together. It would be easy to make a simple support for them when in use to angle as desired.
I'm careful but Mother Nature wasn't. I had two conventional panels setup for portable use. They were at 45* and somewhat sheltered by the trailer. Huge gusts from nowhere threw them down and smashed one.

I don't think that a 100 watt conventional panel is suitable for portable use. I've gone that route and even had a thin plywood cover for it to protect it. They're heavy to lift and place in a vehicle. Most folks wouldn't want to deal with that aspect. I'd recommend smaller sizes for portable use if you have your heart set on glass faced panels.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Renogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
That sounds like the one I am getting ready to order. How do you like it? Is the frame sturdy?

I have had the Renogy solar suitcase with controller for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it. I just use the supplied alligator clips on the cable to hook up directly to my batteries.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:49 PM   #17

just saw a neat video on a review of flexible panels by a couple that full time RVs.
Flexible RV Solar Issues Revealed - Our One Year Review
There is a one year review and also a link to the original install review.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
I have had the Renogy solar suitcase with controller for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with it. I just use the supplied alligator clips on the cable to hook up directly to my batteries.
I haven't used ours yet. Do you find it capable of keeping up with your usage if you are careful? That may be a dumb question since peoples usage varies and seasonal / weather sun exposure varies.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:05 PM   #19

Quote:
just saw a neat video on a review of flexible panels by a couple that full time RVs.
Flexible RV Solar Issues Revealed - Our One Year Review
There is a one year review and also a link to the original install review.
That review is nearing 2 years old now. Ancient by solar panel standards.

This is researched them like crazy, and came up with the ETFE coating on some now, a vast improvement, but only time will tell.
Old 02-22-2017, 01:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
That review is nearing 2 years old now. Ancient by solar panel standards.

This is researched them like crazy, and came up with the ETFE coating on some now, a vast improvement, but only time will tell.
Pretty soon, you too can make Youtube video reviews for us!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote