What's the deal with the INVERTER? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2015, 12:42 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Folks should be careful with those 12V splitters. Sometimes they are rated at a lower amperage than the 12V wall socket they plug into. I exceeded the 10A rating of a splitter and melted its plug in the wall socket, not blowing the 15A fuse in the circuit to the socket. I could have easily started a fire in my trailer.

That's an excellent point Mike. Folks, pay attention to the amperage.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:30 AM   #42

Trailer: 2015 19" -Are we there yet?-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfs View Post
Higher education, lower tuition, great off campus recreation program.
Sometimes I want hit like on these comments but then I realize that I'm not on Facebook.
erikcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:47 AM   #43

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Folks should be careful with those 12V splitters. Sometimes they are rated at a lower amperage than the 12V wall socket they plug into. I exceeded the 10A rating of a splitter and melted its plug in the wall socket, not blowing the 15A fuse in the circuit to the socket. I could have easily started a fire in my trailer.
Good point, I have this one, says it's rated at 15A. Wonder what the Corolla's lighter socket is rated for?

Old 06-28-2015, 08:22 AM   #44

Trailer: ""
We have been using portable solar panels (30 watts) and a 400 watt inverter with dual batteries (series 27) in our current trailer for several years. We prefer boon docking, often for extended periods.

The 400 watts of the portable inverter is limited by the amperage of the outlet. To get the full 400 watts it has to be hard wired to the batteries. I added an extra 12 volt socket (from West Marine) which will handle up to about 180 watts. That's enough to recharge electronics, run a CPAP or a hair straightening iron.

We just returned home from 8 nights 65 km from the highway on a lake off a logging road. Our voltage never dropped below 12.5 even after a rainy day watching videos on my notebook.

We are working on the build list for our 17B and plan to add the 1500 watt inverter, solar panels and dual batteries. I look at the microwave as a third burner to free up counter space.
BillM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:07 PM   #45

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
inverters and attennas

I was wondering if anyone went witha charger /inverter combo ?

Also when using computer ,phone etc how do we increase range it seems quite confusing what products do most of you use ?

Also how does one start a new thread ?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:16 PM   #46
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post

Also how does one start a new thread ?
See if this helps.

Go to the forum you want to start the new thread.
Click image for larger version

Name:	NewThread-01.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	11416

Click new thread button.
Name:  NewThread-02.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  17.9 KB
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:58 PM   #47
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennykatz View Post
...when using computer ,phone etc how do we increase range it seems quite confusing what products do most of you use ?
I assume you mean how do you get a better 4G signal? Many on this forum (including myself) use a Wilson Trucker 4G/3G antenna, and a cradle (used to be called a Wilson Sleek but now it's called a WeBoost) that contains a power amplifier. The cradle connects to the antenna, and your phone or hotspot goes into the cradle. It does a good job of amplifying the signal for us, usually going from 1 or 2 bars to 3 or 4.
Old 07-02-2015, 04:10 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
Okay, stupid questions coming......so we're on day 9 in our new trailer, on OR coast with no cell reception so I'm writing this from a fish store in a little town.....
We've only been in campgrounds with hookups so haven't been dry camping at all. This inverter, solar, 2 6 v battery set up we got....does this come on automatically when dry camping....and if yes, shouldn't our 110 receptacles always have power, whether thru power cord or inverter switching 12 v to 110?
The reason I ask is that we have had some problems with the removable power cord, tricky to get it in just right. Sooo, while fiddling with it, to make sure it was in correctly and power functioning, I would run in & check refrig light to see if it switched from propane to ac....someone in the campground suggested just getting a night light plugged into receptacle by door so don't have to run in to open frig. Well, fine, but shouldn't the receptacle be live all the time if we have transfer switch, inverter? Because they weren't unless plugged into power.
We have a call into Reace, but are so in and out of phone range haven't connected yet.....thanks for any help answering!!.....K
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:16 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Until a better answer comes along, the inverter for sure, and likely the transfer switch has an "on/off" switch.

PS also the battery kill switch needs to be "up" for using the batteries, "down" for storage. Mine is next to fuse box on driver dinette seat.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:19 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
I'm not sure what type of problem you're having with the removable power cord but it only goes in one way and then twists to lock into position; the outer ring is then engaged (threaded on) to further secure the cord in place.

Don't know about the other questions.

Edited: And it takes a few seconds for the refer to "search" for the best or default power source so don't rush there (oops...that's the 3CF refer, don't know about the larger ones).
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:27 PM   #51

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
KarenB, do you mean that you have the standard cord that you did not pay extra for?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 04:56 PM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
The inverter has an on/off switch. In our 19', there is a push button on the outside of the drivers side dinette bench seat. It takes a few seconds to cycle on. Once on, all the 110 outlets will be live. If you have a microwave, you will see that light up. Otherwise, try plugging a small appliance or night light in. If they don't work, try pushing one of the circuit breakers - either by the sink or the outside outlet. I found you need to use something other than your finger to reset it, such as the back of a pencil.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:40 PM   #53

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
...The reason I ask is that we have had some problems with the removable power cord, tricky to get it in just right. Sooo, while fiddling with it, to make sure it was in correctly and power functioning, I would run in & check refrig light to see if it switched from propane to ac....someone in the campground suggested just getting a night light plugged into receptacle by door so don't have to run in to open frig. ...
One thing to keep in mind is if you have the EMS there is a delay from the time you plug the exterior cord into AC power until the EMS switches AC power to the interior devices. In my 19', I always have to wait a few minutes after plugging in before the air conditioner will work or the fridge will work on AC power.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:06 PM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape, 19'
Thanks all who replied.
Just spoke with Reace.
You can only absorb so much during orientation, right??
Totally spaced out the inverter/transfer switch. And forgot about the 3 min delay after plugging in
So all is well....K
KarenB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #55

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I'm not sure what type of problem you're having with the removable power cord but it only goes in one way and then twists to lock into position; the outer ring is then engaged (threaded on) to further secure the cord in place.

Don't know about the other questions.

Edited: And it takes a few seconds for the refer to "search" for the best or default power source so don't rush there (oops...that's the 3CF refer, don't know about the larger ones).
Find the 4.3 frig works the same . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 06:57 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
When I went through orientation, I was told to plug into the power, hookup the water and sit in a lawn chair for a while! Karen is right it can take some time for the surge protector to figure out if the power is clean.... once you see the correct code on the display for the surge protector (E 0), turn on the frig. "A" for automatic (switches to propane if needed).

Does this help at all?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:43 PM   #57

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Find the 4.3 frig works the same . Pat
And we have the surge protection also . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 10:00 AM   #58
Site Team

The time delay on the EMS varies depending on how long it takes to send the data from the computer to the display. In some places we have power almost instantaneously. In others, it takes up to two or three minutes before the display reads normal and power is supplied. I remember at one campground on our first trip, with a lot of transient voltage/dirty power, we thought the 30amp hookup stand was defective. Went and actually got the campground manager to check it out! By the time we got back to the trailer the power was working. Couldn't figure it out until I read the manual. A DUH moment.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #59

Trailer: 17' Escape Floor B
Did the same thing!
Old 02-07-2016, 08:56 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
One of our favorite options. In the Escape 21 there are 5 AC outlets standard, however you must be hooked up to shore power to use them. With an inverter(we opted for the largest one ETI offers: 1500W) we can run a Vitamix blender. Some run other small appliances like TV's & DVD players that aren't 12V. It will power the microwave ETI sells- it is a small one, 700W I believe. If you get the inverter you really should get the transfer switch(making ALL, not just one outlet live). Looking recently at ETI's options list that may be the only way they sell it now.
Good to know that you can run a Vitamix... this is important to us.

ETI seems to currently offer a $550 one plug or $850 ALL plugs install on the inverter...

why bother spending the extra $300 to have all plugs change-over?

We would want the 120 v in the kitchen only (I THINK) ... for Vitamix, and maybe for espresso machine, and maybe rarely a very small portable microwave. (not built in)

thanks for any thoughts
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote