Wheelchair Accessible Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-21-2017, 08:05 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
Wheelchair Accessible Escape?

Is it possible to get a wheelchair accessible Escape ? A friend of mine was asking .
Hmmm, I thought I'll ask . First thing I thought was the door width .
I never seen a trailer with a ramp . But they must be out there .
Old 11-21-2017, 09:19 PM   #2

Trailer: New 21 Escape (not classic)10/16 Sold Lil Snoozy 7/16
wheelchair

Try the Lil Snoozy it has a rear door thats 28 in and you can get a ramp for it .It was built that way for wheelchairs so I was told when i had one . I don't think the Escape trailers would do well with wheelchairs?
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 11:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
In a moulded fiberglass trailer, the size of the door is a major issue. Once you're inside, it's hard to imagine moving around in a wheelchair - normal designs such as those from Escape are just not designed for it, and don't have enough room.

Happier Camper does build an unusual moulded fiberglass travel trailer, based on the Boler 1300 body shape, but with a rear hatch door intended for cargo and "modular" interior fittings. Since the hatch hinges upward, a separate ramp or lift would be required. Other than being too small, this might be a possibility.

There are quite a few "toy hauler" designs with a rear ramp door, in conventional (not moulded fiberglass) construction, in a wide range of trailer sizes (as well as some large motorhomes). The ramps are usually far too steep by normal wheelchair standards.

Winnebago (and probably other major RV manufacturers) offers accessibility modifications, including large access doors, wheelchairs lifts, modified floorplans, and non-standard floor coverings (easier to roll on than standard carpet), and even wheelchair-accessible bathrooms. Winnebago calls their features Ability Equipped, and only offers them on motorhomes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Hi Devil Dog-
Your post was of interest to me, as I've been searching for an accessible trailer as well. Some very kind owners have posted options, as well as sent me PMs with links to dedicated wheelchair-accessible trailers.

One is this manufacturer:
Harbor View Mobility Trailers Model HV-24CKRBMBa

Looks like it has everything in place for a wheelchair user. Including a Lift into the unit. Lots of space inside too.

Another one that is possibly more accessible is the lil' Snoozy. Very cute and slightly more wheelchair friendly, although it's on the small side. It has a futon like fold-up bed giving you slightly more floor space.

I wish they made fiberglass toy haulers. That would be the ultimate! Take a look on YouTube for these converted units. One even had a bed on an electrical pully system. It could be lowered so one could get into the bed with relative ease. Then when not in use during the day, it would lift up to the ceiling, thus providing so much extra space in which to wheel around.

I'm considering getting a 21' just for slightly more floor space, and a more accessible and lower profile bed to sit upon. It also has a slightly larger bathroom in which to maneuver. It could be a good 1 or 2-year interim-use trailer for those of us not totally confined to a wheelchair, but still needing a bit of extra space to wheel around on a little stool or something. There are portable extendable ramps that could make entry into a conventional trailer easier for a wheelchair user, or those with limited mobility.
Hope this helps! If you do find another option, please post and let us know!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 05:24 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlady View Post
That's an interesting trailer, with the features I would expect for an accessible design. That link is to a retailer; you might find the manufacturer's site helpful: HL Enterprise, Inc.
It looks like only their Harbor View is intended to be wheel-chair accessible, but the brochure shows this line in several floor plans.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:04 PM   #6

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That's an interesting trailer, with the features I would expect for an accessible design. That link is to a retailer; you might find the manufacturer's site helpful: HL Enterprise, Inc.
It looks like only their Harbor View is intended to be wheel-chair accessible, but the brochure shows this line in several floor plans.
Thanks for posting the link. Yes, it certainly has just about everything!
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote