Which Type Refrigerator with Standard Solar and two 2 flooded battieries? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2022, 08:48 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Which Type Refrigerator with Standard Solar and two 2 flooded battieries?

Working on how to equip our new 21C.

Have read the comments on the standard Dometic refrigerators detailing problems: Sail switch, motherboard replacement, difficulty maintaining cold in high temps, expensive parts, supply issues.

We are considering getting the compressor fridge, but have some questions:

1. Who makes the compressor refrigerator Escape uses? Any track record?

2. Is the compressor more maintenance free?

3. We are planning on the standard solar setup (1 panel, two flooded batteries), but are concerned about being able to boondock for 4-6 days. We will get the Zamp port so we can use a portable panel also. Really want to avoid the expense of lithium if possible.

Would especially appreciate reports from owners with our planned setup, as well as general comments.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 09:03 AM   #2

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
The sail switch and mother board problems are with the furnace not the frig. We have had no trouble with our three way frig whatsoever.

There really aren't any maintenance issues with the three way frig but burner ignitor issues can happen. Absorption refrigerators on the other hand have no moving parts-no motor or compressor to go bad. and they are silent. I lived with a propane refrigerator fulltime for over ten years and never had a single problem.

I think you may need more battery and solar to be a happy camper with the compressor frig if you plan on doing much boondocking. I think it would work with perfect sun but a couple of cloudy days could be a problem. Perhaps with a back up generator.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:34 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
We’re scheduled to pick up our 21C on June 13th. We opted for the compressor fridge for several reasons, most notably our aversion to all things propane (we’re doing our own induction cooktop vs a gas cooktop as well).

The link below is a brief description Escape posted to YouTube when they first offered a compressor model. I’m pretty sure it is the current model. We did the full lithium package, but have also read on this forum that the compressor fridge is very efficient.

We hope you enjoy your Escape trailer! Our trip to Sumas then on to Yellowstone and Grand Teton is just a month away. We can’t wait.

YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 11:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
The sail switch and mother board problems are with the furnace not the frig. We have had no trouble with our three way frig whatsoever.

There really aren't any maintenance issues with the three way frig but burner ignitor issues can happen. Absorption refrigerators on the other hand have no moving parts-no motor or compressor to go bad. and they are silent. I lived with a propane refrigerator fulltime for over ten years and never had a single problem.
I agree. The current generation is head and shoulders better than previous versions. With the old one I was thinking of going with a compressor fridge but with the new version my only thinking is, "how did this ice cream go all the way to Baja and back without getting eaten."

I've had NovaKool and other compressor fridges in boats where propane isn't an option but for the Escape right now it's "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Lance 2075
Compressor Frige Advantages

I just placed a deposit on a 5.0, so it'll will be quite a while before I will be making my selections. When I do, though, I plan to opt for the compressor refrigerator for a few reasons. One, I have a 3-way refrigerator currently in my RV; it has never operated quite right. There was a point when it would only operate off shore power, and not on battery or propane. Also, even when the battery power is working, it's a huge drain on the battery...something like 4 times more than the compressor fridge. Also important to me is to avoid the vents and cut-outs on the side of the trailer that are necessary with the 3-way absorption fridge. Those openings are access points for critters and water. Finally, by opting for the compressor fridge, I gain an extra cabinet. So, for me it's a no brainer. I'll also opt for the solar package and at least 2 lithium batteries if not 4.
AZ Wonderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:31 AM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I agree. The current generation is head and shoulders better than previous versions. With the old one I was thinking of going with a compressor fridge but with the new version my only thinking is, "how did this ice cream go all the way to Baja and back without getting eaten."

In our past 4-5 trailers our absorption fridge has worked great. Friends of ours just purchased their Escape with a compressor fridge and it's about a cubic foot smaller. There's no way we want a smaller fridge.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-11-2022, 08:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
I've had good experience with absorption fridges, and if your goal is boondocking then it is really hard to beat a fridge that can run for several days on a propane tank and a tiny bit of electricity. Just my 2c.

I'm sure compressor fridges can also work out, but if your goal is extended off-grid boondocking, any setup with a compressor fridge is going to need more solar capacity than any setup with an absorption fridge.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:17 AM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
We have solar and 2 flooded batteries, wouldn't go compressor fridge without lithium. Our absorption fridge has worked great, very happy with it. It is better than the one in our older trailer which did not defrost the fridge fins automatically. One time in 3 years I had to clean the gas burner orifice, a simple 10 minute process. Also agree that we wouldn't want a smaller fridge, especially the smaller freezer in the compressor fridge.
Old 05-11-2022, 12:47 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
We are planning on the standard solar setup (1 panel, two flooded batteries), but are concerned about being able to boondock for 4-6 days. We will get the Zamp port so we can use a portable panel also. Really want to avoid the expense of lithium if possible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandDaphne View Post
We did the full lithium package, but have also read on this forum that the compressor fridge is very efficient.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Wonderer View Post
I'll also opt for the solar package and at least 2 lithium batteries if not 4.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I'm sure compressor fridges can also work out, but if your goal is extended off-grid boondocking, any setup with a compressor fridge is going to need more solar capacity than any setup with an absorption fridge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
We have solar and 2 flooded batteries, wouldn't go compressor fridge without lithium.
I think there is a pretty clear consensus here. For context, when boondocking using an absorption fridge we could typically only go 3-4 days with lights, water pump, pretty heavy furnace use and misc loads on dual 6V lead acid (no solar) before needing to recharge. Remember it is best to only take lead acid down to 50% SOC for best lifecycle. You can't count on good solar conditions all the time and obviously none at night. If you opt for a compressor fridge I would recommend at least 200AH of lithium. If you know the amp draw and estimate a duty cycle you can calculate your anticipated demand. Having some extra battery capacity will be worth it as it will keep you from constantly stressing about your state of charge.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:24 PM   #10

Trailer: 2023 E19
For what it's worth....

I plan to go with the dual 6V lead-acid battery option, 2 solar panels, and the standard absorption fridge for my initial build.

At some point down the road, I know I will want to expand my boondocking capability and do a full lithium upgrade....but I won't need it in the near term. I figured I could always look at changing over to a compressor fridge at that time.

If I was going with full high-capacity lithium from the start, I'd be giving the compressor fridge option serious consideration.
Selkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 06:34 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 21NE
We have the 3-way absorption refrigerator in our 21NE. It is huge, 6.2 cubic feet. We have been very happy with it. ETI installs insulation on the full wall behind the refrigerator and it helps to keep it cold. It is nice to have the propane option so that we can save our electric for other electric appliances when not plugged in to shore power.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 07:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Mine is a 5 cu. ft. two-way absorption fridge - propane and AC. Don't need DC, which is inefficient in any event. Use propane on the road and when boondocking. Use AC to precool at home.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:28 PM   #13

We use AC to precool at home as well. DC while under way, and propane at the campsite. I hear the fridge can run for 11 days on one tank of propane. Is that anyone's experience?
Old 05-11-2022, 07:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Mine is a 5 cu. ft. two-way absorption fridge - propane and AC. Don't need DC, which is inefficient in any event. Use propane on the road and when boondocking. Use AC to precool at home.
I have a two way fridge as well on my recently delivered 5.0TA. ETI has had some supply chain issues with hood vents, fridges and awnings. Samual called me a few days before my trailer was to be loaded for shipment and asked if I would accept the Norcold 2 way fridge. I had no issues with it. I would never run it on 12v dc anyway.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:15 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathytony1985 View Post
We use AC to precool at home as well. DC while under way, and propane at the campsite. I hear the fridge can run for 11 days on one tank of propane. Is that anyone's experience?
Close enough. The smallish fridges in Escapes may do a little better than that.
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:18 PM   #16

I guess we'll find out next month. Taking a 3 week trip to visit grandkids.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:27 PM   #17

Quote:
FWIW the older Dometic RM2510 5CF fridge burns 1080 BTU/H at full flame. Based on the number of BTU’s in a 20# propane tank that works out to about 16.5 days. Since we don’t have it turned up to max all the time it will last even longer than that.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:34 PM   #18

Wow, that's amazing! We have the newer model DM2683. Well it was newer when we got it last September. There is probably a newer one out now.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Wow, that's amazing! We have the newer model DM2683. Well it was newer when we got it last September. There is probably a newer one out now.
With that 6 CF model the specs are 1500 BTU/H on max which calculates to 12 days. In reality you’ll get even more than on a moderate setting if everything is working properly.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:46 PM   #20

Good to know. Thank you. We only use it on Max when cooling it down initially. Then we set it to 3 and that seems to keep everything in the correct temp range.