Wired for backup camera - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 10-22-2016, 02:03 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Just to note for anyone, a Rear View Safety camera could not be used on our tow vehicle because of the spoiler. We just spent a bunch on postage sending the cameras back and forth. Or forth and back.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #22
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Just to note for anyone, a Rear View Safety camera could not be used on our tow vehicle because of the spoiler. We just spent a bunch on postage sending the cameras back and forth. Or forth and back.
I tried a RVS camera on my rig and had a lot of interference from my phone when using I had Blue Tooth turned on.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:58 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I have a backup camera on my current trailer. It's OK for backing up but not satisfactory for rear viewing when traveling. This is because the angle is so wide, I can't see vehicles behind me until they are right on my bumper. How well does the one installed by ETI work for rear viewing when traveling?
this short YouTube video shows how it looks, when in motion.

Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 03:17 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
The video looks great. Is it that clear and easy to see behind in reality?
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:09 AM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
The video looks great...
Am I the only one who finds this camera view terribly distracting (and taking up a big part of the front window real estate) and takes away from focusing on the traffic in front...the actual traffic situation that the driver can respond to in order to prevent an accident? I'm just not convinced that this has real value in real life situations. I would hope that the driver doesn't miss that kid running out after a ball in front of the car.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 08:47 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
Am I the only one who finds this camera view terribly distracting (and taking up a big part of the front window real estate) and takes away from focusing on the traffic in front...the actual traffic situation that the driver can respond to in order to prevent an accident? I'm just not convinced that this has real value in real life situations. I would hope that the driver doesn't miss that kid running out after a ball in front of the car.
My thoughts are pretty much the same, Karen. I love technology, but not at the expense of safety. That huge screen right in your line of view would be awful. Maybe it could be mounted lower? We already are offered too many options that can distract from us driving. While I love all the radio, climate control, traction control, on the fly 4x4 shifting, and so on, I find just controlling all these options somewhat distracting do to the complexity of it all, and don't really need more. As you alluded to, almost all the potential dangers are ahead of the vehicle, Anything from behind would be almost impossible to avoid anyway.

I have heard all the arguments folks have said to justify using these backup cameras for viewing while driving, but for ME, I just don't see any real value for them in that, or how it could possibly make things safer. I learned years ago how to use my mirrors, and will rely on them for checking what is going on behind me.

Now, for reversing or hitching, that is a different story, as you are going slow and there is no danger of an accident.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:53 AM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
With technology as it is today and rear view cameras, front view cameras, GPS, and cell phones, sooner or later we will run out of dash board space. The camera in #23 appears to obstruct the driver's view. Without getting into each individual state's motor vehicle regulations, some of our gadgets maybe impinging upon violations. I remember someone getting a ticket for having their graduation tassel hanging from their rearview mirror....just saying.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:57 AM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
With technology as it is today and rear view cameras, front view cameras, GPS, and cell phones, sooner or later we will run out of dash board space. The camera in #23 appears to obstruct the driver's view. Without getting into each individual state's motor vehicle regulations, some of our gadgets maybe impinging upon violations. I remember someone getting a ticket for having their graduation tassel hanging from their rearview mirror....just saying.
The monitor for my current trailer mounted back up camera is mounted on the rear view mirror & is only about 1" larger than the mirror. Since the mirror is useless when the trailer is hitched, it works well.

As to the quality, the wired system I had in my RAV4 produced a higher quality image with more contrast & dynamic range. I suspect the bandwidth of the image is purposely limited to allow wireless operation.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #29

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
The video looks great. Is it that clear and easy to see behind in reality?
We also have the camera, and would like to mention that: yes, it is a great video. But watch closely: The street in front of the car is way narrower then what shows for the rear on the screen!
Yes it helps with parking and backing up, but gives you a NOT realistic view driving!
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:03 AM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
I recently meet someone who had the new ETI installed backup camera installed on their trailer. I asked to see it and was very surprised how large the display was when they pulled it out. I could not have it mounted in my windshield while driving because its just way big and I would run over something for sure. It would be nice for backing up if I was by myself but I will stick with my mirrors, getting out and looking, and my wife's waving arms. I have to many things (phone, GPS, parking assist, etc.) distracting me now.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape 19
I bought and had the TADI brothers wireless camera installed. It is great for backing up; though, definitely use your vehicles side mirrors for switching lanes, etc. It is good to see what is coming up close to you while on the road. In my ridgeline, I did not like the dash mount, so I bought a cd player mount with a magnetic plate, I put the camera on this and it is down out of the way, same place I put my iphone when not towing.

I have replaced my monitor, as the connection was a mess, got a monitor for around $20 on Amazon and it works fine.

There is some flicker with it being wireless but very little.

"Not all those who wander are lost.." JRR Tolkien
56reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 10:33 AM   #32

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
What's the concern about what's coming up behind you?
Old 10-24-2016, 11:06 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Have the Voyager wireless system . Mounted lower on windshield in truck . Does not flicker and moniter is smaller then what is on this thread . Shows rear bumper at tire and out a little farther , camera can be adjusted to show less or more by changing the attachment screws on the bracket . Love it and would not be without . Some find outside led's and motors for awnings ,very important . We find the backup camera very useful and important . It is what you like and find important , that is all that counts . Pat
Do not know about other camera's but their is a speaker on the Voyager and you can hear your helper very clearly speakly to you when you trying to back up . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:49 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The monitor for my current trailer mounted back up camera is mounted on the rear view mirror & is only about 1" larger than the mirror. Since the mirror is useless when the trailer is hitched, it works well.
This position, out of direct eyesight would certainly be preferable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
What's the concern about what's coming up behind you?
I wonder the same thing, Bob. Nothing more than what my mirrors tell me anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 11:52 AM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Knowing that some jerk is tailgating will only raise your blood pressure and take your mind away from the job at hand, which is staying in your lane and looking far down the road for potential problems.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:03 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I bought a floor mount from RAM Mounts to hold my tablet when I'm towing. It is a stalk that bolts to the front left bolt of the Tacoma's passenger seat, and it holds the tablet below dash level just to the right of the truck's console. The mount has a spring-loaded grip sized for the tablet, but RAM's system is modular and a lot of grips are available. Passengers tell me that the mount doesn't get in their way.

Currently I display the CoPilot navigation app on the tablet when I'm towing, but eventually I hope to also use it to display the image from my wifi rear-view camera, as soon as I solve my signal strength problem.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 01:08 PM   #37

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Knowing that some jerk is tailgating will only raise your blood pressure and take your mind away from the job at hand, which is staying in your lane and looking far down the road for potential problems.
Guess I'm getting old, I want less gizmo's to distract me.

Got in my son's new car yesterday, has 3 built in display screens. Said they had to go online to figure out how to open the gas cap.
Old 10-24-2016, 01:46 PM   #38

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I have my Tadi Brothers 7" monitor mounted onto a cup holder extender meant for the Wilson Booster. It keeps it lower where it doesn't interfere with any other dashboard controls. We use it primarily to verify when passing a truck that when we can clearly see all of the front of the truck that we are really past it and can pull back in.

We had the Tadi Brothers rear view mirror monitor but found it too dim to see. The separate monitor (only, no mirror) works much better for us.

Another thing to watch out for is that you don't put something where it could interfere with the passenger air bag should it ever deploy. You don't want to be hit in the head by something being propelled at you from your dashboard.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:12 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I bought a floor mount from RAM Mounts to hold my tablet when I'm towing.
Here is the RAM floor mount, and the mount holding a 10.5-inch Samsung tablet. One of these floor mounts might work for someone who wants to get their rearview camera screen off the dash.
Attached Thumbnails
ram_floor_mount.jpg   ram_mount_with_tablet.jpg  
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 02:13 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdornbush View Post
I have my Tadi Brothers 7" monitor mounted onto a cup holder extender meant for the Wilson Booster. It keeps it lower where it doesn't interfere with any other dashboard controls. We use it primarily to verify when passing a truck that when we can clearly see all of the front of the truck that we are really past it and can pull back in.

We had the Tadi Brothers rear view mirror monitor but found it too dim to see. The separate monitor (only, no mirror) works much better for us.

Another thing to watch out for is that you don't put something where it could interfere with the passenger air bag should it ever deploy. You don't want to be hit in the head by something being propelled at you from your dashboard.
Bill our Voyager moniter which is 5 in by 5 3/4 in is attached to windshield glass, sitting right on dash in truck , about the middle . The arm brings moniter forward and where it is sitting ,doesn't block view on windshield . We have a truck with large windshield . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote