Workin on the build sheet. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-02-2015, 06:20 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Workin on the build sheet.

ok I would like to know the Pros and Cons of the extra insulation package. Who has it who don't and why or why not. Any help would be welcomed.
My tow vehicle is a 2014 Tacoma double cab 4x4 so am thinking about the weight of the trailer and what I should subtract and what I should'nt. Thanks.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have the extra insulation, but not the foam. I also got the dual-pane windows. With the extras, heat stays in (better) and cool stays in (better) and the reverse is true also. PLUS the trailer is a bit more quiet than without the extras. I'm perfectly happy with my decisions.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Jake,
We got the thermopane windows, the "extra insulation" and the sprayed on insulation underneath. Reach talked us out of the tank heaters, since you have to be plugged in to use them. I'm a believer in getting all the insulation I can get, but there's probably no easy way for an owner to compare life with, or without a certain item, except maybe condensation on the windows. Weight of these items is probably inconsequential.
Someone who has seen the construction can probably tell you exactly what the extra insulation consists of. If no one responds, send an email to the company and ask to see if Reace would call you to discuss. He is surprisingly responsive that way.
Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:05 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
ok I would like to know the Pros and Cons of the extra insulation package. Who has it who don't and why or why not. Any help would be welcomed.
My tow vehicle is a 2014 Tacoma double cab 4x4 so am thinking about the weight of the trailer and what I should subtract and what I should'nt. Thanks.

Pros: you get a layer of Reflectix under everything. Stays cooler in summer, warmer in winter.

Cons: costs money.

Dont worry about the weight. Reflectix will add no significant weight to the trailer.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:08 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
21 with all the extra insulation stuff except the foam, tow is a Taco V6 4x4 with 4 doors and a long bed. No issues towing the 21 at all.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:27 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I see no reason, other then financial, to NOT get the insulation and thermal windows. If you will be cold weather camping the foam undercoating would help, although it'll be in the way of any future maint you have to do on the underside of the trailer.

If you go with the foam underneath, you might consider purchasing and having ETI install Horst holding tank probes on the gray and black tanks, wish I had.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
...My tow vehicle is a 2014 Tacoma double cab 4x4 so am thinking about the weight of the trailer and what I should subtract and what I should'nt. Thanks.
Ours trailer is the 21', listed at 500 pounds more than the 19'. I went for all the cold weather options - except for the heat pads. I have not yet put the loaded trailer on a certified scale but plan to next week. I'm expecting to be within the Tacoma's various weight parameters.

But as a counter to the extra foam and double glass weight, we skipped the 110v options of Air Conditioning, Microwave, Inverter, TV, etc. Also skipped extra reinforcing in walls which I understand is rather weighty.

It probably all balances out in the end.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:43 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I agree with Bob n others. If financial allows it then the thermal windows and reflectix is worth it. We didn't order the foam or tank heaters because we're not going to be in that type of temps. We weren't originally going to order the thermal package, but when the exchange rate shot up thermal made the list. However, it is pricey and I wouldn't let it get in the way of some other options that might be more impactful. I have added the reflectix below the benches myself on two trailers and it is $20 a roll plus a can of spray adhesive. Most trailers don't have dual pane windows, and we get along OK.
One thing that helped us was we built a spreadsheet with two columns that listed the base price and all the options. One column was the extreme trailer and one was the realistic trailer. It allowed us to add and pull the prices of options on each build and see the bottom line.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote