Woulda Coulda Shoulda - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
Bob,
Thanks, that is a much better solution for connecting a portable solar panel. It is a polarized connection as well, so it insures the proper match of powered and grounded wires. The nomenclature of a "deck connector" was what I could not come up with to see all the options. West Marine comes through again.
As mentioned in the other thread this plug is shown in, I believe this should only be used for power out, not power in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm ordering without solar or an A/C. Think about how solar has evolved over the past 2-5 years. It's gotten cheaper and more efficient. The same with A/C. My stars. So, while I'm not getting either, I'm going to have both WIRED like I am ready. It's up to me to keep track (solar wiring is 6" behind the ?? vent), etc.
Exactly what I did, except solar was not an option, and would do now if buying again.

Someday when I retire I may need A/C, and when I do, it will be nice to have it new and modern, as opposed to a unit that got used a dozen times and is aging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Jim, couldn't agree more, it is tough to determine what work for me based on others experiences, but weighing their opinions with my own is the best I can do at this point.
Yep, 'tis the way to do it. Just don't let it be a cause for stressing out too much, as it seems to do for some. It could just be me, but I try to avoid stressful stuff. Going camping helps muchly with stress relief for me.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #22

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Thanks all, a few replies.
Fran & Dave, who did the emergency hatch add? I was wondering about such after seeing most truck campers have them in the bedroom. I am going with opening windows in the bed room so air flow should be okay, extra light can be a pro or a con. Mud flaps, on the TV or trailer? I've looked at them for the TV although I don't care for the look, especially the big ones that hang on the trailer hitch.

We had Escape do it all. The previous owner had left it at Escape to sell so before we picked it up we had all the work done....it's a long way to New Mexico!
For the emergency hatch in the bed loft, we cut out a piece of reflectix that we can wedge into it for darkness and/or draft at night or keeping out sunload during the day when needed. we actually did that for all the windows....helps here in the SW.

We had the mud flaps put on the trailer. We already had stock mudflaps on the tow vehicle. Here is a photo that shows mudflaps on trailer and TV. They are quite inconspicuous.
Attached Thumbnails
Mudflaps.jpg  
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:48 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
As mentioned in the other thread this plug is shown in, I believe this should only be used for power out, not power in.
They are usually used for power out, but it shouldn't make any difference. If I recall correctly, this is pretty much what ETI used on my trailer for the roof mount, except the Perko is metal whereas mine is a plastic unit. And very heavy sealed so it shouldn't come unplugged easily. I used Perko units on my sailboat for external 12v power needs.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:10 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
They are usually used for power out, but it shouldn't make any difference. If I recall correctly, this is pretty much what ETI used on my trailer for the roof mount, except the Perko is metal whereas mine is a plastic unit. And very heavy sealed so it shouldn't come unplugged easily. I used Perko units on my sailboat for external 12v power needs.
It would not make any difference from a performance standpoint, just a safety one. Personal safety not so much, but protection for your electrical system. Unplugged, the male connection on the end of the cord would be hot, and has a high potential for being shorted out. Any connector I have seen for power in does not leave the energized prongs of the connector exposed. Granted, most I have dealt with were 120V, and not 12V, but the theory is the same.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 01-11-2014, 12:02 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Woulda: thermal windows, extra insulation, 2 burner vs 3 burner stove. Coulda: upgraded our mini blinds to pleated shades. Shoulda: waited for the current exchange rate. Betcha: wouldn't be without solar - it creates freedom; we're glad we made the Apr 2012 purchase - it's a joy the way it is!
soultrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #26

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
It would not make any difference from a performance standpoint, just a safety one. Personal safety not so much, but protection for your electrical system. Unplugged, the male connection on the end of the cord would be hot, and has a high potential for being shorted out. Any connector I have seen for power in does not leave the energized prongs of the connector exposed. Granted, most I have dealt with were 120V, and not 12V, but the theory is the same.
True enough, but at least the male connection would only be hot during the time one was handling the solar panel being plugged in. You would need a cover for the male end when it's not plugged in. Here's a better product, but I doubt it's as weatherproof. It's item 1214 on the list.
Electronics Plus - Hard to find parts and accessories, available and ready to ship!
Attached Thumbnails
1214.jpg  
Old 01-13-2014, 11:35 AM   #27

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
True enough, but at least the male connection would only be hot during the time one was handling the solar panel being plugged in. You would need a cover for the male end when it's not plugged in. Here's a better product, but I doubt it's as weatherproof. It's item 1214 on the list.
Electronics Plus - Hard to find parts and accessories, available and ready to ship!
Or you could try a search for "waterproof 2-pin aviation electrical plug". Looks something like this:

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
It is now 4 months since we took ownership. I am content with all the options/additions I chose. They weren't extensive, not much off the base design... window over sink, insulation package, different upholstery, extra outlet, dual 6-volt batteries, no air conditioning, being the biggies. I do doubt we'll ever make serious use of the microwave.

One minor thing now appears as a regret. The trailer is wired cable-ready but I wish I had specified that the cable outlet be placed on the curb side. That's where the tv will be... if we ever use it.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #29
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
One minor thing now appears as a regret. The trailer is wired cable-ready but I wish I had specified that the cable outlet be placed on the curb side. That's where the tv will be... if we ever use it.
See.... see! That may be the differance between a single traveler and a couple. I'm have TWO TVs installed. And BOTH will be on the drivers side. (A bit of a different layout to the trailer too).

I see a huge difference between a couple (company) and a single traveler (looking to be entertained). YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
Are you saying curbside outside or curbside dinette/ bed inside?
Old 01-13-2014, 08:20 PM   #31

I remember a distant post by one of the Jim's, ---ah, was it you?-- I forget which, bantering about needing to sleep facing the door in his 19 as a protective, defensive hedge in case of a home invasion. That might be why we do it.
Old 01-13-2014, 08:26 PM   #32

Inside. Wishing my cable connected to a recepticle on the wall on the other side of the stove. The outside plug is on the street side but that's fine with me because the cable will run from it to the antenna across the spare tire thereby also serving as a tie-down in case it gets windy at a campsite.

Two Tv's Donna? Tsk tsk.
Old 01-13-2014, 09:28 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Two Tv's Donna? Tsk tsk.
Yeppers. And music that will make your ears ring. Anybody, besides me, listen to WAR or the Moody Blues on cassete tapes?
Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #34

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5TA
No 8 tracks?!
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 02:13 AM   #35

Trailer: 2012 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
No 8 tracks?!
Jan 13 1964 Bob Dylan released his album The Times They Are A-Changin'
Not sure if the album came out on 8 track that year but the 8 track was invented in 1964.
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:34 AM   #36
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicki A. View Post
No 8 tracks?!
I have a bunch of those too, because I have two cars with 8-track players . But, those are too bulky to carry in my small-ish trailer.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:30 AM   #37

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Yeppers. And music that will make your ears ring. Anybody, besides me, listen to WAR or the Moody Blues on cassete tapes?
Moody Blues, certainly -- it's on my regular play list. WAR, sure, but I don't own any. Cassette tapes, no. Unfortunately magnetic media does degrade with time. Do your tapes still sound good? Even back in the day I'd give up on them after a few years and re-record them.

I'm less fussy about sound quality now than I used to be, but I still like my music to sound good. Pops and cracks in vinyl always bothered me, too. I switched to digital media as soon as I could.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:10 AM   #38

Quote:
I remember a distant post by one of the Jim's, ---ah, was it you?-- I forget which, bantering about needing to sleep facing the door in his 19 as a protective, defensive hedge in case of a home invasion. That might be why we do it.
Yeah, that moment of infamy was brought to you by yours truly. Bears too though, I want to be able to get a good picture as they come through the door at night too.

TV. Some must have it, and others not. We have two cable outlets, one curbside by the bed, and the other at the dinette for laptop use. Only once in five years did we watch TV on the laptop for an hour, and that is it. I don't even have a clue where my laptop tuner is now. Might probably look into it more when travelling longer, or using hookups more. Different strokes, for different folks.
Old 01-14-2014, 07:32 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm still playing my 45's, Motown forever…...
Old 01-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #40

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Speaking of recording tape, I bought a DVD recorder and transferred all my video tapes of family events to DVD. Several of them had great chunks of oxide missing resulting in no picture.
I expect the same thing can happen to cassette and 8-track tapes, especially if not stored "in a cool, dry place".