Yet another High Lift Axle question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Shopping Escape
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Yet another High Lift Axle question

Would this photo of the 21NE from the website indicate the High Lift Axle option? It seems like it's got a lot of room in the wheel wells to me. I'm still on the fence whether to spend the bucks lifting it or not. If this picture is the standard height, I don't see the need.
Attached Thumbnails
21NE-slider-09.jpg  
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 04:07 PM   #2

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
That is the high lift axle. We live on a rusty road, drive forest service roads, and go in and out of gas station driveways with steep ramps. Have never scraped, do not even worry
Old 05-14-2020, 04:12 PM   #3

Thanks, This looks like a good height to me, I'll go with the High Lift.

Cheers
Tony
Old 05-14-2020, 07:13 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
You will have to get the optional 2 step set up with the hi-lift option....
Old 05-15-2020, 07:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
I did not get the high lift axel on our 21 because after thinking about it, it’s the axel height not the box height that determines where you can go. If it was a true raised axel it would be one thing, but it is not. It is just spacers between the axel and the trailer box, so your limiting factor is still the axel height . That being said, we have never had a problem in 3-1/2 years going anywhere that we wanted to go with the stock axel.
Now for a little story, that proved to me that I made the right choice. Good friends of ours that took delivery of their brand new 19 last fall met us in Arizona where we winter. She was in a wheel chair. What happened? Well, they ordered the high lift . Had to put a step stool at the bottom of the step in order for the wife to get in and out. Had it one month, coming out she missed hitting the step stool square, down she went. Broken ankle. Pins, Wheel Chair, Crutches, Cane, six months later she still has the cane. Something to think about. We aren’t getting any younger. Although I believe Escape is offering a 2 step system now. I maybe wrong.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 07:52 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I drive down lots of rough roads, onto open areas to camp, take some trails, and have gone into lots of parking/fuel lots with big dips, and have never had a need for the high lift axle on either of my Escape trailers in 11 years. Only if you have to reverse into an extremely steep drive is it needed. As mentioned here before I backed my regular axle trailers onto my drives, which were very steep and still had good clearance on the bumper.

Escape trailers are built with the rear up quite high. not certain about the 17, but the rest of the trailers have the rear frame raised 4" on top of the center/front frame.

In my opinion it is one of those things that many get just in case, much like lots of options. There is a reason they are options.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 08:44 AM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
I did not get the high lift axel on our 21 because after thinking about it, it’s the axel height not the box height that determines where you can go. If it was a true raised axel it would be one thing, but it is not. It is just spacers between the axel and the trailer box, so your limiting factor is still the axel height . That being said, we have never had a problem in 3-1/2 years going anywhere that we wanted to go with the stock axel.
Now for a little story, that proved to me that I made the right choice. Good friends of ours that took delivery of their brand new 19 last fall met us in Arizona where we winter. She was in a wheel chair. What happened? Well, they ordered the high lift . Had to put a step stool at the bottom of the step in order for the wife to get in and out. Had it one month, coming out she missed hitting the step stool square, down she went. Broken ankle. Pins, Wheel Chair, Crutches, Cane, six months later she still has the cane. Something to think about. We aren’t getting any younger. Although I believe Escape is offering a 2 step system now. I maybe wrong.
We've scraped our Jayco, Scamp, and Casita rears going into/out of washes. The Casita had part of the weight taken off the tires for about 6-12" pulling and ruined a jack. I DON'T get the high lift for axle clearance! The axle is merely a pivot point and that 2 1/2" gives more pivoting clearance at the front and rear of the camper, NOT at the axle.

We got the high lift axle because sometimes we go where we shouldn't be. Again, it has NOTHING to do with axle clearance, that's a misnomer.

I've seen some of the cheap steps people use and am amazed there aren't more falls like your friend had. Besides, I'd blame it on their choice of step, not an additional 2 1/2". We have an adjustable height, wide and deep step so that doesn't happen. Bought that step 16 years ago when we raised our Jayco 5th wheel to make it through washes.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-15-2020, 12:21 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
We've scraped our Jayco, Scamp, and Casita rears going into/out of washes. The Casita had part of the weight taken off the tires for about 6-12" pulling and ruined a jack. I DON'T get the high lift for axle clearance! The axle is merely a pivot point and that 2 1/2" gives more pivoting clearance at the front and rear of the camper, NOT at the axle.

We got the high lift axle because sometimes we go where we shouldn't be. Again, it has NOTHING to do with axle clearance, that's a misnomer.
Agreed!!!
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:37 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
Would this photo of the 21NE from the website indicate the High Lift Axle option? It seems like it's got a lot of room in the wheel wells to me. I'm still on the fence whether to spend the bucks lifting it or not. If this picture is the standard height, I don't see the need.

Did you get the spray foam? If so it will help with tank clearance . I know on the 19 the water tank hangs lower than the axle. 10" of clearance . so if you spray 1 1/2" of foam onto the tank that brings it down to 8 1/2" the lift will raise it 2 5/8" . so just depends on you camping and what you want. this picture is 19 with out frame lift
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0657.jpg  
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 12:43 PM   #10

Thanks, yes, my concern is pivoting in/out of sloped driveways. My storage lot has a bad one - I scrape the pad foot on my tongue jack every time I exit onto the street, drives me nuts. I've scraped the rear bumper once or twice, and that's on my 13 Burro - the 21NE will have much more length behind the axle. Plus I'm getting the foam insulation.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2016 21 ft escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post

I've seen some of the cheap steps people use and am amazed there aren't more falls like your friend had. Besides, I'd blame it on their choice of step, not an additional 2 1/2". We have an adjustable height, wide and deep step so that doesn't happen. Bought that step 16 years ago when we raised our Jayco 5th wheel to make it through washes.
Perry

I was thinking more of rutted back country roads. Rutted in the tire tracks, crowned and rocks in the center. Your right a lift would help with pivoting. In 35000 miles I have never been in a situation where I hit either the rear bumper or the front jack with the standard set up. I’m sorry if I upset anyone.
Jake930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:45 PM   #12

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
May I suggest, get out a ruler and mark it at 2 5/8" and consider how much impact that will have on traversing rutted roads or steep drives.
Old 05-16-2020, 12:23 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
May I suggest, get out a ruler and mark it at 2 5/8" and consider how much impact that will have on traversing rutted roads or steep drives.
13.8 % more clearance.

21.625 / 19 = 1.138
Old 05-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Did you get the spray foam? If so it will help with tank clearance . I know on the 19 the water tank hangs lower than the axle. 10" of clearance . so if you spray 1 1/2" of foam onto the tank that brings it down to 8 1/2" the lift will raise it 2 5/8" . so just depends on you camping and what you want. this picture is 19 with out frame lift

Thank you for the photo and the measurements.

To expand on my previous post, the high lift gives 26% (12.625 / 10 = 1.265) more fresh water tank clearance, , 18.7% (16.625 /14 = 1.187) more hose storage pipe clearance, and 16.4% (18.625 / 16 = 1.164) more clearance at the rear.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:10 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Jim, Whats your opinion of the pros and cons of the 19 versus the 5.0? I'm considering a 19 but see that you've had both. Thanks!
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:12 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake930 View Post
I did not get the high lift axel on our 21 because after thinking about it, it’s the axel height not the box height that determines where you can go. If it was a true raised axel it would be one thing, but it is not. It is just spacers between the axel and the trailer box, so your limiting factor is still the axel height.
Maybe I'm wrong, or misunderstanding you, but I don't believe Escapes have axles that run from wheel hub to wheel hub, like in a conventional spring axle. Their Dexter torsion axles are basically dropped spindles, and so already have good clearance. (I have them on my tent trailer.) The frame - or whatever hangs below it - is your limiting factor.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Only if you have to reverse into an extremely steep drive is it needed. As mentioned here before I backed my regular axle trailers onto my drives, which were very steep and still had good clearance on the bumper.
Jim - do you have any pictures of your steep drives? I have a short, steep section at my driveway entrance, and I am concerned about it, although it is mitigated that I get to back across it an angle. If I don't hit on the driver's side rear corner, I should be OK, but I'm contemplating getting a high lift just in case
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 06:32 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator View Post
Jim - do you have any pictures of your steep drives? I have a short, steep section at my driveway entrance, and I am concerned about it, although it is mitigated that I get to back across it an angle. If I don't hit on the driver's side rear corner, I should be OK, but I'm contemplating getting a high lift just in case
I got the high lift axle on our 5.0TA because I knew it would be a challenge going over a hump into our downward sloping driveway. I have 9" of clearance above my bed rails and as you can see I need almost all of that not to bump...it worked out great.
Attached Thumbnails
Driveway 1.jpg   Driveway 2.jpg  
Old 05-26-2020, 07:19 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA, pulled w/ 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins 4x4 SRW LWB
"You have to"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
You certainly do not "have to" do this. We have the lift kit and are well satisfied using a study, but foldable, step stool for our bottom step. Accidents can happen on any step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherminator
Maybe I'm wrong, or misunderstanding you, but I don't believe Escapes have axles that run from wheel hub to wheel hub, like in a conventional spring axle. Their Dexter torsion axles are basically dropped spindles, and so already have good clearance. (I have them on my tent trailer.) The frame - or whatever hangs below it - is your limiting factor..
On our 5.0 TA the torsion axles do have spindles, but with the trailer load on them they are not "dropped", at least not much. At rest, the square axle tube that runs from spindle to spindle sits just above the centerline of the hubs/wheels. The Dexter illustration makes it look more dropped than it is on our trailer. I tried to paste a link to an illustration:
https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-n4cj...441340.gif?c=2

I agree that clearance for the axle(s) is/are rarely the limiting factor. We are glad we ordered the lift kit. Even with it I have touched the bed rails going through only moderately steep dips. It also affords extra clearance for the dump valves, etc. We have an older (2003) full size 3500 Dodge 4X4 and an Anderson Ultimate hitch.
SWCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 07:24 PM   #20

Trailer: 2016 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Hi Jim,

Could you please point me to where I can find more information
on this 2 step option ? Also, do you know if it is incorrect for
me to assume I can put this on my 2016 21' Escape ?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Bill_75 is offline   Reply With Quote