ADD and more - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
ADD and more

I received what I thought was a rather curt comment in another thread, but perhaps it was not. I will explain. I am ADD to the point of being learning disabled and may also be on the fringe of the Autistic spectrum. I have a great deal of difficulty learning from others and do not always understand comments. Even though I have several inventions and think out of the box with regard to tool modifications or uses of same my intelligence has been questioned my whole life. Just the same, my wife and I have had sucessful businesses we started ourselves. The bottom line for me is do not judge a book by its cover. The older I get the more I try not to. You never know what lies within.
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 04:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Tom - thanks for reminding us that there are many ways to read and interpret posts on this forum.
Shearwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 06:47 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and to add to that comment, both the number of posts as well as time spent participating on the forum will change your views as well as responses.......
Old 03-22-2021, 07:00 PM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
totally agree with that.
Old 03-22-2021, 07:04 PM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
I agree with you.. your not wrong on some posters jump on peeps they don't know, or aren't the regular crew here..
Old 03-22-2021, 07:31 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
I received what I thought was a rather curt comment in another thread, but perhaps it was not. I will explain. I am ADD to the point of being learning disabled and may also be on the fringe of the Autistic spectrum. I have a great deal of difficulty learning from others and do not always understand comments. Even though I have several inventions and think out of the box with regard to tool modifications or uses of same my intelligence has been questioned my whole life. Just the same, my wife and I have had sucessful businesses we started ourselves. The bottom line for me is do not judge a book by its cover. The older I get the more I try not to. You never know what lies within.
I also want to say I also sometimes have trouble understanding what some say but do not see, that as a problem . Thank goodness we all are unique and not all the same . I learn better by watching and doing . Also have a grandson who is on the autistic spectrum and his intellect is different from mine . But he has talents I do not . For one he understands computers and complex problems I do not . And yes you never know what lies within ! Pat😊
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 07:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
My daughter has a dual PhD (Developmental and Clinical) in Psychology with emphasis in Autism, ADD and in that realm. She’s both a practicing psychologist and developed the Telehealth program for diagnosis and for parents with affected children to learn techniques with her looking on. Her work has certainly affected everyone in our family and many others to gain a better understanding of Autism and additional conditions we knew very little about years ago. It’s not automatic to be able to converse and work with people who may be different than we are but a step back recognition and understanding makes it possible. This goes for inexperienced folks, people who desire to camp in a different manner, and those of varying economists abilities etc.

Iowa Dave
Old 03-22-2021, 08:26 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
I appreciate all the responses more than you folks know. I became facinated with Autism when a coworker (on the opposite shift) had a son with Autism. When the son answered the phone I strived to keep him on the line for a bit and hopefully make him comfortable doing so. And he eventually did!

I have a grandson who is ADD. I see myself in him. He is very talented and getting better socially. He, like me does not learn well from others, just has to figure things out himself. I could go on and on about this!
Tom&Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 02:37 AM   #9

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom&Joan View Post
Tom, just want to give you a huge shout out for your post. My 24 year old son has ADD and Aspergers, and just happens to be one of the finest people around (maybe a little biased lol). He struggled alot when he was younger because people didn't quite get him and he was desperate to keep his diagnosis secret. It wasn't until he became older that he became more comfortable sharing/explaining his challenge in a straight forward way, without shame or embarrassment. And that was a huge turning point for him as people responded so positively and it led to success after success, in both his personal and work life. Thank you for reaffirming that is the right way to go. And thank yo u for your post
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Tom, Excellent reminder that we are all unique and it is important to remember that. Sometimes it seems that when people are on line (or in a forum) we forget to have compassion and understanding. Thank you for sharing.
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2021, 03:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Tom, Excellent reminder that we are all unique and it is important to remember that. Sometimes it seems that when people are on line (or in a forum) we forget to have compassion and understanding. Thank you for sharing.
Thankyou well said and what we believe too ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote