Animal Stories - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2020, 10:06 AM   #41

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe
Moose Story...

Back in the late ‘60s, I had the “opportunity” to work at the Air Force base in Anchorage, Alaska. On arrival, one of the safety warnings we got was to give the moose quite a bit of clearance as they freely ambled around the buildings on the base.

The warning came with a story of a couple of guys driving a Volkswagon bug at dusk on one of the narrow (barely) two lane roads on the outskirts of the base. They came upon a large bull moose who was standing in the road. After a few minutes, a couple of toots on the VW’s horn had no affect. Flashing the lights also had no affect. However the moose had taken notice, inching the car forward slightly while flashing the lights and beeping the horn was not the thing to do. The moose lowered it head and charged the VW bug. Ultimately, the base police had to come out and shoot the moose which had caught its front legs thru the windshield during the “attack”. The VW was totaled.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #42

Trailer: 2018 EScape 19 foot
True story. This is called, "The Night We all Ate Racoon." It's the middle of a rainy night in the campground. Suddenly, the air is pierced by the sound of a woman in a nearby RV screaming like she was being killed. I grabbed my small baseball bat and charged out the trailer door into the storm. Just then, another neighbor, also in his underwear and carrying some sort of club, did the same but immediately slipped and belly flopped into a large mud puddle. Chaos. We approached the trailer with the screaming where we found the owners trying to coax several racoons from under their bed where there food was stored. They had left the outer access door open and had been awakened to the sound of joyous racoons as they raided their pantry. As the racoons scattered, we all looked at each other in our soaked underwear. No one said anything, but as we all peered thru the rain at a nearby knoll (cue "the Good Bad and the Ugly", we counted 8 racoons standing in a row, admiring the human chaos below. The next morning, after the story had been told from one trailer to the next, several people asked if it was true that we had all dined on racoon the night before. Get it? "8 racoons' became "ate racoons?
djdrummond@yahoo.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:54 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

great story..........
Old 06-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #44

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I was hoping stuff like this would come out. LMAO!
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #45

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Raccoons

That’s a great story. Having grown up in prime raccoon country ( Eastern Iowa) I’ve had a lot of encounters both intentional and unintentional. Raccoons are persistent, clever, and always hungry. My last act every evening while camping is to make sure all the hatches, doors etc are secure and that no coolers or food is left outside.

If you get the desire to actually eat a legally taken raccoon, I suggest you consult with someone with experience in preparation before attempting it yourself. I’ve pretty much quit eating raccoon because of the diseases they carry including worms and distemper. But if you want to prepare one, get a couple pairs of rubber gloves and contact me. I’ll make sure you can find and remove the kernels (Lymph glands) that make the meat real strong.
Those 8 raccoons probably all lived together in the same den tree. Good old Iowa boys usually call a hollow cottonwood tree a coondominium. Rimshot please
Iowa Dave
Old 06-26-2020, 09:05 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
we were at outdoor education at camp in mendocino, ca with two classes of 6th graders. the last night the kids had cider and cookies under the outdoor kitchen tarp and i made a cup of tea. i was the last one there so the last camp counselor said throw away your tea bag and bungee the trash, please. the trash cans were plastic, and the lids were secured overnight because there were so many raccoons around there. i put in my teabag and put the lid on the trash and bungeed it.

as luck would have it, i was the first one in the kitchen in the morning, made tea, and unbungeed the trash can lid. i had to jump back because charging out of the can came a very angry raccoon completely covered in mush made up of discarded apple juice and cookies. it took off like a shot. it had spent the night trying to get out. and likely never went near a camp trash can again.
Old 06-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #47

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Deer and raccoon stories I've got, but none would top all of yours.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 03:18 PM   #48

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Seen no moose, deer, or raccoons around here. Meanwhile, while work we must.... A dog's life.
Attached Thumbnails
front4.jpg  
Old 06-27-2020, 03:39 PM   #49

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
Is that a new coupler I see on your Escape?
Old 06-27-2020, 04:50 PM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
No Jim, same original coupler. Was looking ugly so I painted it lite gray, makes it easier to see in the dashboard monitor when backing up.