Any suggestions on reducing solar panel installation costs? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2022, 08:21 AM   #1

Trailer: V3815TK 2020
Question Any suggestions on reducing solar panel installation costs?

My house is 1200 sq. ft, and I intend to install solar panels this winter. However, I got stunned by my cousin's installation costs. She has a 2000 sq. ft house, which cost around $11k, a huge amount! Can some experts help me with the installation costs of solar panels in Alaska for a 1200 sq. ft house? What things to consider for costing, and can we somehow reduce the installation costs?
Munchkins07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
The goal as I see it on a solar installation is the time it takes for payback. When we installed ours in 2020 the payback with govamint tax credits was 6.2 years based on our current usage.
If I don’t make that I’ll be pretty mad. Oh wait, I’ll be dead. Hmmmm. Anyway, we’re enjoying not having an electric bill every month and our heating is geothermal so no gas bill in the winter either as the geo runs on electric provided by the solar. Huge thermal mass in the logs, metal roof roof tested by the derecho to 142 mph and high efficiency windows. Trying to live in harmony with the rest of the world. The prairie, the sweet corn, the orchard and the solar array shown below.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
E97DECAF-336D-4299-B862-FECEFE2BB452a.jpg  
Old 07-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
You can reduce installation costs with tax credits and utility credits, if the are available.

Find out all the credits available in your area, and get at least three quotes
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkins07 View Post
My house is 1200 sq. ft, and I intend to install solar panels this winter. However, I got stunned by my cousin's installation costs. She has a 2000 sq. ft house, which cost around $11k, a huge amount! Can some experts help me with the installation costs of solar panels in Alaska for a 1200 sq. ft house? What things to consider for costing, and can we somehow reduce the installation costs?
I would recommend talking to some installers to see what they say. Get at least two estimates, when we had solar installed one estimate was almost double the other. Every site is different. If you have a south facing roof that isn't shaded that's usually the least expensive. We have a 4K rack mounted system and it was around $10K after rebates and tax credits which took about ten years to pay for itself and now its just free electricity.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 10:36 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021
Nice set up Dave. Neighbor just had 20 or so panels installed on roof.
johnnyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 11:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Roof mount

Hi Johnny
My brother has a roof mount set up and it works well. The only slight downside is that his roof isn’t real real steep so he gets out a 6 ft step ladder and a long handled “broom” to clear the snow off. Ours is free standing out in the yard on the south lot line. It’s set at 30degrees so with the exception of freezing rain turning to snow the snow slides off most times. Once or twice a winter I have to go down and broom it but I can do that from the ground. A good friend of mine installed one in his roof too. He loves it. He does not broom it off as he doesn’t like ladders in winter. So it just melts off. Once there’s a little “black spot “ on a panel it melts off pretty fast. I’m averaging 52kWh per day since May. I’ll have enough “in the bank” by November to cover the winter and early spring which is the goal and the way it works here.
Iowa Dave
Old 07-26-2022, 01:07 AM   #7

Trailer: class B camper van- 2021
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkins07 View Post

Firstly, solar panel installation is expensive but worth it. Solar panels are best for you if you’re looking beyond your personal financial gain and choosing green living. Remember, solar panels are a long-term investment, and you’ll be eligible for a certain tax break. It is often not possible to run the house on solar alone because it works only when the sun shines. Although this also depends on where you live. If net metering is in place, you can reduce your bills further.

Regarding the installation of cost, you need to consider many facts like how much power you use daily, where you live, what type of system you prefer, the material of your roof, etc. Well, as for reducing the installation cost, you should reduce your energy consumption, can enjoy the federal tax credit available on the total cost of installing the solar panels with labor and material, and can also search for the best small renewable energy installers so you can get the panels for a cheaper price.
levi&live72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:44 AM   #8
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Solar in Alaska isn't going to have nearly the yield or payback of solar in the middle latitudes.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar energy, solar installation, solar kit, solar panels, solar setup