Anyone Use a Drone While Camping? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-13-2020, 07:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape
Drones are great for getting video or pictures of sailboats in action, and beautiful images of iceboats carving patterns around race marks.

John in Santa Cruz, if I were in the county park I would have to say your video is on the intrusive end of the scale. Why fly over other people's campsites?

Escape Boulder, your pic of Quartzsite makes it look like a good place to avoid, though the experience on the ground was probably good.
Viajante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:06 PM   #22
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
We were all at an event together, most of us know each other. I ran it by the event organizers, and pretty much everyone in my general area that I was going to do a drone shot so we could use it for the event website.

also, I was mostly around 200 feet or so, that drone is almost inaudible at that elevation.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:46 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Me thinks your shotgun is way more offensive than a drone. I was in Cape Breton in a lovely private campground and asked them if they would like an aerial shot of their property for their use. They agreed and I flew high for about 20 minutes. No complained or threatened to shoot it down. That said I would not fly close to campers or disrespect other users of the campground. There are plenty of gomers out there shooting firearms that are more disrespectful of the quiet. That said one needs a dose of common sense with aerial photography, follow the rules and registration laws and be responsible, a commodity that may be rarer in these days.

My two cents.
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:32 PM   #24

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I love stills taken with a drone. Gives a perspective not seen at ground level. I belong to a Facebook group "Lost in Oregon," a number of professional photographers hang out there and share the photographs with the group. This is a current favorite. Vista House. For those that have driven I-84 East through the gorge out of Portland should know where this is.

And those who have driven I-84 through the gorge and have not yet stopped there, should.
Then, of course, there's the mandatory hike up to the top of Multnomah Falls.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 10:14 PM   #25

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Me thinks your shotgun is way more offensive than a drone.

My shotgun is in my imagination. It's often used when news helicopters circle my house because of a crash on the bridge or some fisherman or kayak is lost in the river.
It goes "KaPOW".
Old 02-14-2020, 05:00 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
My shotgun is in my imagination. It's often used when news helicopters circle my house because of a crash on the bridge or some fisherman or kayak is lost in the river.
It goes "KaPOW".
Unfortunately, in crowded locations (densely populated municipal areas) annoyances are inevitable, from racing vehicles to drivers playing “music” 200 decibels louder than the point where hearing is damaged, horns beeping, dogs barking, etc. (and the drones too). Regarding news helicopters, the news is, well the news. Reporters are always looking for new stories to cover so they can report it to all the people who crave watching or hearing the latest news. But isn’t that the reason we use our trailers in many cases.......to get away from the hustle and bustle to find peace and solace so we can leave out shotguns, real or imaginary, locked away in the gun cabinet! ��
Old 02-14-2020, 02:58 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
And there are those happy to be alone, in the woods, watching wildlife and occasionally harvesting nature’s bounty. And just like antlers, boiled drone doesn’t taste all that good, or so I’ve heard. I can also report that my farm liability insurance had a note with it the last couple of years that damage or accidents involving drones is not covered.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-14-2020, 06:35 PM   #28

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Sheep"; 2003 Toyota Tundra "Shep"; 2017 Aussie "Cody"
In Deer Creek, CO the town has a bounty on drones - $25 when you bring the wreckage into town hall.
Farmgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:01 PM   #29

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
"On the other hand, if you're out there boondocking on some USFS or BLM land with no other campers around, then fine."

Disturb wildlife in ways we cannot imagine. No, no, and no.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
"On the other hand, if you're out there boondocking on some USFS or BLM land with no other campers around, then fine."

Disturb wildlife in ways we cannot imagine. No, no, and no.
You're right. I can't imagine.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:19 AM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I much prefer drones to ATV/UTV’s that are prevalent at BLM sites, etc. In comparison I doubt drones are causing anywhere near the noise pollution and damage that the vehicles are causing, especially in sensitive areas like sand dunes.
Each year I hear drones less and less anyway as the hearing loss progresses, but the vehicles make far too much noise to not notice at any level.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 05:10 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I have a cardboard cutout of myself I usually set up. Oops, forget I said that; the word was drone, not clone! (Must be the Scotch in me responding!)
Old 02-19-2020, 10:55 AM   #33

Trailer: 2010 Moby 1 Teardrop
Quote:
My inclination would be to take a shotgun.
Agree. Annoying as heck. Was camped in a beautiful spot above Rock Creek in Montana, watching Ospreys dive for fish, and dozens of other birds snagging big green drakes coming off the water. And some fool shows up and starts flying a drone. Thank god the forest service came by and halted it. Sound is annoying. Spooks wildlife. Ruins fishing.

Some people don’t get it. Same reason I’m not a fan of generators. If you can’t leave home without it, don’t leave home.
duckofportland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 11:14 AM   #34

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I agree with Greg completely...the intense noise from UTVs is way worse than a drone, especially when a large group of them drives by. Mind you, if I'm in a quiet, secluded spot I don't want to be bothered by a drone either.
mtnest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:10 PM   #35

Trailer: No more Escape 21
As EscapeBoulder point out, you must register with the FAA if you drone is over 0.55 pounds (250 grams), https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/
Old 02-19-2020, 12:26 PM   #36

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnest View Post
the intense noise from UTVs is way worse than a drone

And the intense noise from fighter jets is way worse than UTVs. Where is that Washington state park that's under the flight path?
Old 02-19-2020, 12:29 PM   #37
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickM View Post
As EscapeBoulder point out, you must register with the FAA if you drone is over 0.55 pounds (250 grams), https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/
that registration is pretty trivial. I had my Mavic registered.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:39 PM   #38

Trailer: 2014 FWC
Well you have the Bogachiel as well as National Forests, Olympic National Park, DNR, and county parks out on the OP that gets jet noise from training sorties.
Captm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Quote:
And the intense noise from fighter jets is way worse than UTVs. Where is that Washington state park that's under the flight path?
Ft Casey State Park on Whidbey Island. We spent all last week there and the Growlers were practicing touch and go's for 3 afternoons/evenings from the OLF (Outlying Field). All conversation stops when they fly by - and they fly by pretty much continuously during their session. Usually 2-3 hours.

The NAS publishes a schedule ( https://whidbeycamanoislands.com/jets-on-whidbey/ ).

Still my favorite SP in Western Washington.
cvanzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 12:53 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
For sure, though the low fly over after the national anthem at the Stampeders Labour Day Classic is a fantastic thing to take in, those jets sure are super loud.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote