Anyone Use a Drone While Camping? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2020, 08:36 PM   #1

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Anyone Use a Drone While Camping?

Added another tool for photography while camping, Mavic drone. The tech has gotten really good with GPS so the drones pretty much can fly themselves. You can get some amazing aerial shots. Learning how to video\sound edit since that is new learning curve. Anyone else take a drone with them while camping?
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My inclination would be to take a shotgun.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:16 PM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
They're becoming illegal in more and more campgrounds. Whatever happened to just camping?

Perry
Old 02-12-2020, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I think if you fly it in a campground, where other campers can be disturbed by it, you're just asking for problems. On the other hand, if you're out there boondocking on some USFS or BLM land with no other campers around, then fine.

I for one would not tolerate someone flying a drone in proximity to my campsite. I don't go camping to hear drones, but for peace and quiet. But to each his own.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I wish the things were quieter. But then they could sneak up on you. I live too close to a Navy base to fly a drone at home. Otherwise I'd be tempted to buy one for photography.

ML
in Death Valley, CA
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:46 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It's kind of like the first video cameras with zooms. Everybody had to zoom, and pretty much still do.

Most of the drone footage I've seen to date is, camera rises, and then does a 360 degree pan.
There needs to be purpose, or it's like looking at baby pictures or watching Survivor 40.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
On YouTube, TravellingRobert has some great drone footage. Great content in his videos. Also on YouTube, DoriAndMena, who own a 5.0TA, same great footage.

Me, I take my bike, my iPhone and a really long selfie stick.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:32 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Though I agree with you in concept, I have read in a couple of instances when people destroyed “peeping Tom” drones flying over their property or in close proximity to their homes they were held liable and had to replace the drone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I think if you fly it in a campground, where other campers can be disturbed by it, you're just asking for problems. On the other hand, if you're out there boondocking on some USFS or BLM land with no other campers around, then fine.

I for one would not tolerate someone flying a drone in proximity to my campsite. I don't go camping to hear drones, but for peace and quiet. But to each his own.
Not sure how tolerance comes into play because as an individual without legal authority there isn’t much you can do if it is legal to fly a drone in any given area. I do agree that as obnoxious as some actions are, many members of our society believe that their desires trump the preferences of those around them. I find the whine of a drone (or blasting of music a zillion campsites away) to be more annoying than the drone (pun intended) of a muffled generator.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:45 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht

I agree
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:38 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
oldtimer,
your quotes are not showing
Old 02-13-2020, 08:56 AM   #11
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I love stills taken with a drone. Gives a perspective not seen at ground level. I belong to a Facebook group "Lost in Oregon," a number of professional photographers hang out there and share the photographs with the group. This is a current favorite. Vista House. For those that have driven I-84 East through the gorge out of Portland should know where this is.
Attached Thumbnails
VistaHouse.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #12

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Quote:
I agree
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:08 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While I have seen some great photos and videos from drones, as long as they are't constantly buzzing around where I am, for the most part I don't mind them. I have not seen many at campgrounds, but that certainly is not the place to be flying them around, not only is the noise bothersome, like other places many also dislike their (semi-)privacy being interfered with.

By all means get one, but do use a good level of respect when flying it, as most people I know are annoyed when they are flying around them, including me at times. If at a social function they are not too bad of a thing, again if they are not overused.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:35 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Not sure how tolerance comes into play because as an individual without legal authority there isn’t much you can do if it is legal to fly a drone in any given area.
I meant it in the sense that in a private campground, I would ask that it stop. I dont know of a private campground that would allow it, especially if folks complained.

I've taken some spectacular shots with a drone. Those here who remember my thread about building my new house some time ago might remember the aerial shots I took of my property before and during the build process.

But that wasn't at a campground, and it didn't disturb others.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:39 AM   #15

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
As a forestry student I had a couple courses in photogrammetry and photo interpretation. Later, as a Forest fire lookout we depended upon files of photographs to help locate smoke coming out of far off Valleys. I’ve always enjoyed aerial photography and stereo photographs. I hear drones once in a while but don’t let them bother me. If I sense they might be looking me over I simply flip them off. On the other hand I am very much opposed to their use as it relates to hunting. I feel it violates the principles of fair chase and as such should be against the law. Of course I’m an old geezer shooting near antique firearms and retrieving my deer with a rope and my aging body.
It’s interesting to me to watch recreation continually evolve over the past 60 or so years. Some good, some not so good.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-13-2020, 11:00 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19'er + 2018 Highlander
Yes. I have a Phantom 4 quadcopter, referred commonly as a "drone". I also fly radio controlled gliders, and have done so for nearly 20 years (well before quadcopter became available).

One needs to be considerate when flying a quadcopter, since there's been so much bad press caused by stupid, inconsiderate fliers, people tend to be sensitized to them. One also needs an FAA registration now-a-days.

All that said, quadcopters are easy to fly, take great pictures & video and give one a whole new perspective of the countryside. For example, here's a quick picture from last week's Quartzsite fiberglass rally. Try taking that from the ground!
Attached Thumbnails
DJI_0262.jpg  
EscapeBoulder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I meant it in the sense that in a private campground, I would ask that it stop. I dont know of a private campground that would allow it, especially if folks complained.

I've taken some spectacular shots with a drone. Those here who remember my thread about building my new house some time ago might remember the aerial shots I took of my property before and during the build process.

But that wasn't at a campground, and it didn't disturb others.
I realized you meant at a campground. I was only trying to point out that some people don’t care if they bother other people with their activities, which annoying as they may be, if legal, can’t be stopped. They believe their right to do what they are doing means that they can inconvenience everyone else. It’s become me, me, me!
Old 02-13-2020, 04:13 PM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Drone flight

I've flown my drone last Spring while camping, off of the observation deck at Pikes Peak S.P. in Iowa. Iowa allows flying drones in the park, Wisconsin does not in any of theirs. COE campgrounds also do not.

Pic included of the deck, 500 foot bluff and the Mississippi.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2189 (Copy).JPG  
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17B "L'Escaboose" with 2021 Ford F150 XLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I love stills taken with a drone. Gives a perspective not seen at ground level. I belong to a Facebook group "Lost in Oregon," a number of professional photographers hang out there and share the photographs with the group. This is a current favorite. Vista House. For those that have driven I-84 East through the gorge out of Portland should know where this is.
That's really cool, Donna.

I plan on getting a drone eventually because I like camera gadgets and have quite an assortment. I will be using it mostly on my own acreage, shots up and down the creek etc. I will follow the rules, however, and not use it on the National Park Service land next door and I'll get a permit to use it on conservation land, my other neighbor. I doubt anyone will be anywhere nearby except my dogs. Actually, they may not be with me because they barked at and chased my friend's drone!
Nindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:16 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
drones are banned in all national parks, and many state park systems, California included, without written permits for a specific date/time/place.

I had a nice Mavic Pro til I flew it sideways into an oak tree and destroyed the camera gimbals. ooops.

my last flight...

That was at a county park, very rural, middle of nowhere, where we have star parties periodically.... I later discovered that the entire region was a no-fly zone because of an army base 20-30 miles to the northwest, and Camp Roberts National Guard base 12 miles SE. ooops!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote