As If The Ugly Tesla Truck Was Not Enough - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-31-2020, 05:26 PM   #101

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Numbers aside, which can be argued to infinity and beyond, at least there is positive news out of some of these countries that it is moving in a positive direction. Just have to get more participating at a high level and it might ultimately make a difference.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:46 PM   #102

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Seems odd to me that you can cut down trees in the USA and Canada, ship them all the way to the UK and burn them and that is considered environmentally friendly.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:48 PM   #103

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Yes numbers can be argued I agree however the push to electrify everything will never be accomplished by using solely renewables to produce the massive new amounts of power that will be required. For example staying with Great Britain Boris has said new cars sold after 2029 must not be gas or diesel powered. Now they've just come up with new homes will not be allowed after 2033 to have gas boilers but must be electric or hydrogen. Not only that but all houses after 2028 must meet a certain energy performance standard or they may not be resold.
https://life.spectator.co.uk/article...me-unsellable/
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:53 PM   #104

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by emers382 View Post
I still disagree with "biomass" being called renewable, yes the trees grow back but like I mentioned before most of what they use at the Drax plant in northern England comes from the southern USA and is heavily subsidised. What's the environmental cost to processing and shipping all that wood?
The trees growing back (using carbon dioxide from the atmosphere) does literally mean that they are a renewable resource, but "renewable" doesn't necessarily mean either "cost effective" or "environmentally benign". There are similar issues with every form of power production; I agree that shipping wood across the Atlantic is a significant issue.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 08:56 PM   #105

Quote:
... staying with Great Britain Boris has said new cars sold after 2029 must not be gas or diesel powered.
That sort of plan has become popular. In Canada, B.C. and Quebec have made similar policies, with later target dates.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #106

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
That sort of plan has become popular. In Canada, B.C. and Quebec have made similar policies, with later target dates.
Is there a political will in Canada to close down the Alberta tars sands by 2029?
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 11:04 AM   #107

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
Is there a political will in Canada to close down the Alberta tars sands by 2029?
That depends on which party you ask. Not going to make any political comments though. [emoji16]
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 12:13 PM   #108

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
Quote:
I hope this doesn't sound political however getting crude oil from the "OIL" sands is just cleaning up mother natures' huge oil spill.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #109

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Big wind turbines coming to offshore wind farms:

https://dnyuz.com/2021/01/01/a-monst...g-an-industry/
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:12 AM   #110

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
I hope this doesn't sound political however getting crude oil from the "OIL" sands is just cleaning up mother natures' huge oil spill.
The First Nations on both sides of the 49th Parallel thank you.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 04:07 PM   #111

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quote:
The First Nations on both sides of the 49th Parallel thank you.
Interesting reading, a lot of the source material listed is quite old and I know there have been many improvements over the later years so I hope some of the issues have been cleared up in the oil sands area.
I know that there is more insitu mining going on at the oil sands as that is far better than strip mining for the environment.
Any strip mining done brings up toxic chemicals and minerals buried in the ground and then they are exposed to the environment to possibly get into waterways etc. That goes for coal, gold and many of the chemicals used for batteries, solar panels, etc.

I used to watch a show on tv about gold miners in the North, they would just dig up ground, extract the gold and move on leaving a big mess behind them. They never showed them cleaning up anything so I assume it was not done.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 05:04 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
I know that there is more insitu mining going on at the oil sands as that is far better than strip mining for the environment.
Any strip mining done brings up toxic chemicals and minerals buried in the ground and then they are exposed to the environment to possibly get into waterways etc. That goes for coal, gold and many of the chemicals used for batteries, solar panels, etc.
Yes, but even in-situ operations routinely have a produced water byproduct, so some of the same issues exist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
I used to watch a show on tv about gold miners in the North, they would just dig up ground, extract the gold and move on leaving a big mess behind them. They never showed them cleaning up anything so I assume it was not done.
Some of those operations are pretty marginal, but keep in mind that the thing most missing from reality TV is reality.