Aviation Pictures – Memorabilia – Short Stories - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > Cyber Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2022, 10:48 AM   #1

Trailer: Everest
Aviation Pictures – Memorabilia – Short Stories

Naval Air Station, Barbers Point, HI

This is from an old guy’s point of view. You can guess if you want to, Linda and I have been married going on 64 years. We purchased a 2003 Keystone Everest in 2002 and kept and traveled extensively with it for nearly 15 years. Our youngest son’s bout with pancreatic cancer caused us to stop here in the SC foothills and make a new home in 2006.

My primary way to make a living was Naval Aviation. I worked for the USN for more than 41 years. Thirty-one years in the USN and another 10 years as a journeyman aircraft mechanic at the Naval Aviation Depot at Jacksonville, FL. Linda was a purchasing agent and buyer for the Navy Exchange system for 15 years. During our 23 years in Florida she was a Real Estate agent and property manager. We retired in the early 2000s, sold our home and nearly everything in it and went full time RVing.

When my father got out of the Army at the end of WWII he wanted to learn to fly. When he got his license I was his first passenger. From those early years of flying I dreamed of becoming a Naval Aviator and flying off aircraft carriers. That dream was crushed, when at the age of 13 I severely damaged my right hand. After nearly two years of rehab I got about 75% use back in the hand and nearly 50% feeling. I’d never pass any sort of flight physical. However, after prodding by my father I enlisted in the Navy where the physical was not so important and I would be able to work on and maybe become a flying technician.

I enlisted in the USN on Elvis Pressley’s 22nd birthday, 8 Jan 1957. During my assignment interview at the end of boot camp training I requested aviation duty. Because I already knew all the basics about the theory of flight and what each control surface operated I was sent directly to an operating squadron from boot camp, bypassing the Navy’s initial enlisted aviation training at Norman, OK.

Out of boot camp I was sent to a super connie early warning squadron primarily based at Naval Air Station, Barbers Point, Hawaii. My orders read, Oahu, TH. Hawaii had not yet become a state. I was there when it did and that was a lot of fun

The super connies we had were designated WV2 and called Willy Victor’s. The range of the early warning barrier was from Midway Island to Adak, AK. They worked me around a lot. I packed parachutes, overhauled 20 man life boats, worked in the engine and prop shops and finally ended-up in the Oxygen shop. I became a PRM (parachute rigger, maintenance), later known as AME (aviation structural mechanic, maintenance). At my next duty assignment in CA I would become an aviation structural mechanic, hydraulics, and that’s what I was until I was advanced to E-8, many years later.

I spent many hours flying observer in the Willy Victors.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Airbarsron2 - 1957.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	221.8 KB
ID:	61203 Click image for larger version

Name:	1a Airbarsron2 - 1957.jpg
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	61204
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 01:12 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Nice post, thanks for the background. Those WV’s were some strange looking planes.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2022, 08:33 AM   #3

Naval Air Station, Alameda, CA

When my tour of duty ended in Hawaii, I was transferred to another type of patrol aircraft; The P2V Neptune. The squadron was Patrol Squadron 9 at NAS Alameda, CA. They had just received the newer version of the P2V, and it was the P2V-7. It had a larger flight deck and a bubble type canopy. It also had been fitted with two jet engines for short field take-offs.

Being an anti-submarine warfare aircraft, it often flew at low altitudes. The crew stations were very tight and I flew a couple of observer missions and didn’t like it at all and didn’t go again. All the time I did in that squadron was with its oxygen systems and portable bottles. The Navy and not yet converted to liquid oxygen for larger land based aircraft. I periodically removed all crew oxygen regulators, tested them in a 43k pressure test station and reinstalled them in the aircraft.

In the first picture I had just arrived there for duty. I was not yet a petty officer. I then was promoted to PRM-3 and a short time later my rating was changed to AME-3. I’m pictured far right sitting down. The other picture was taken at NAS Jacksonville, FL in a large aircraft display area.

Name:	2 Alameda - 1959 - VP-9 .jpg
Views:	14
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	61231Click image for larger version

Name:	2a NAS JAX - P2V-7 .jpg
Views:	14
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	61232
Old 03-09-2022, 10:02 AM   #4

Naval Air Station Oceana, Virginia Beach, VA

After attending an advanced Aviation Structural Mechanic school (3 months) at Millington, TN my rating was changed from AME to AMH. I then reported to my first tail hook squadron, Fighter Squadron 41 in April 1964. They had just transitioned to the F4 Phantom II aircraft. After a two week aircraft model familiarization course on the F4-B I reported to the squadron for duty. I spent my first year there working on the aircraft periodical maintenance team. Early in 1965, the squadron along with its air wing was assigned to the USS Independence (CVA-62). We were part of the first all jet air wing and were going west to the South China Sea in support of our troops in Vietnam. We were the first carrier to deploy from the 6th fleet to the 7th fleet since WWII.

When we deployed I was chosen to become a squadron airframes flight deck troubleshooter. I worked in that assignment until transferred to shore duty in 1966.

Because the Indy actually belonged to the 6th fleet, we were relieved by the USS Enterprise (CVN-65), while transiting home to Norfolk, VA, in the Indian Ocean.

Name:	2 Indy 1965 .jpg
Views:	8
Size:	181.0 KB
ID:	61240 Click image for larger version

Name:	2a Indy 1965.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	61241

Name:	2b Indy Combat Ops 1965 .jpg
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	61242 Click image for larger version

Name:	2c Indy Combat Ops 1965 .jpg
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	61243

Name:	2d  Vietnam - 1965 .jpg
Size:	150.3 KB
ID:	61244
Old 03-09-2022, 10:51 AM   #5

USS Independence (CVA-62)

A short sea story: While an aircraft carrier is traveling with aircraft spotted for the transit, interceptor aircraft (F4) were assigned hot pad duty. When far away from land or any near-by threats the aircraft were spotted on operational catapults for immediate launch when a threat may happen. The duty has a 15 minute launch capability and a five minute launch capability. During the times when the 15 min duty is set the flight crews are allowed to be in the squadron’s ready room and in flight uniforms. During the times when the 5 min duty is set the air crews must be in the aircraft and strapped in for immediate launch.

After transiting from Norfolk to the Strait of Malacca the fighter squadrons were ready for a break from hot pad duties. It was decided that while transiting the Straits the A4 aircraft could be used for the hot pad duty. The A4 was the smallest jet aircraft the navy ever used. However, it did have 20mm cannons and was very maneuverable but not supersonic.

Halfway through the straits on our way to a much needed rest stop at Singapore there was an aircraft on radar that wasn’t squawking. The A4s were launched to intercept it. It turned out to be an airliner and already at its flight altitude. The A4s didn’t catch up with it because it was at or near their max speed. That was the last time they were ever used for hot pad duty.

Name:	NAS JAX - A-4.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	299.2 KB
ID:	61250
Old 03-11-2022, 12:17 PM   #6

Naval Air Station Cecil Field, Jacksonville, FL

Early in 1966 I departed VF-41 at NAS Oceana in VA. I was ordered to report to Naval Air Station Dallas, Dallas, TX. I was further assigned to the A7A aircraft factory school at Grand Prairie, TX. Upon completion of the factory school my orders sent me to Fighter Squadron 174 at NAS Cecil Field, FL. However, before I got there the squadron designation was changed to Attack Squadron 174. It would receive the first A7A operational aircraft in Aug 1966 and become the model manager for that aircraft until disestablished.

At the factory our security clearances were secret and we could pretty much go wherever we wanted to go at the factory. The aircraft builder (Ling-Temco Vaught – LTV) had made all necessary provisions for our training, including well equipped classrooms, fully staffed with very knowledgeable instructors for all ratings attending the advanced cadre training.

At VA-174 in AUG 1966, I was on the aircraft inspection team for the first aircraft accepted into the naval active inventory. It was a little embarrassing for LTV because we found LTV maintenance rags in one of the aircraft’s maintenance compartments. It was kind of an early warning that the aircraft was going to be a hydraulic systems leaker. It sometimes leaked so badly that hydraulic systems would fail in flight. VA-174 established a “fly-away” person to go to other air fields where the squadron’s aircraft would make emergency landings. I was selected as that crew member and got all the training necessary to fly in anything with two seats. The primary aircraft used for transporting me and the needed parts and equipment for repairs was the T-28. It had a large “hell-hole” that could hold just about any parts needed to get our aircraft safely home to NAS Cecil Field. One time during a 4 aircraft trans-pack to Rota, Spain I got to fly to NAS Oceana in a TA-4 to do a final inspection of those aircraft before the long haul across the Atlantic. It was the only time they sent me off somewhere in a jet aircraft.

Near the end of my tour with VA-174 I was once again chosen for factory duty. That time it was to be on a team sent to LTV to work with factory personnel for the verification and validation of maintenance manuals for the newer model A7-E aircraft that would be accepted in 1969. It was an enjoyable 6 weeks and we were allowed to wear civilian clothes.

Name:	3 A7 - LTV Factory .jpg
Size:	128.3 KB
ID:	61279 Click image for larger version

Name:	3b VA-174 - Cecil Field.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	61280

Name:	3c VA-174 Cecil field .jpg
Views:	6
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	61281 Click image for larger version

Name:	3e Carrier Quals- USS Lexington .jpg
Views:	7
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	61282

Name:	3f LTV Factory 1968 4.jpg
Size:	323.7 KB
ID:	61283 Click image for larger version

Name:	3g LTV Factory 1968 5.jpg
Size:	388.2 KB
ID:	61284

Name:	3h T-28.jpeg
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	61285 Click image for larger version

Name:	3i TA4 .jpg
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	61286
Old 03-14-2022, 12:32 PM   #7

San Diego, CA

In the 1960s the Navy established "closed loop" detailing. It was used to keep sailors in the same geographical locations throughout their career. I never applied for it. I joined the Navy to see the world and married a girl with the same desires.

In early 1970 my shore duty with VA-174 ended and I was once again transferred to a F4-B squadron. This time I was once again going to the west coast. The squadron was Fighting one-fifty-one and they were home ported at Naval Air Station, Miramar, CA (San Diego). They flew the F4-B on the 1st cruise and transitioned to the F4-N for the 2nd cruise.

The squadron was part of Air Wing 5 and operated off the USS Midway (CVA-41), home ported at Alameda, CA. I made two long extended deployments to the Tonkin Gulf with that squadron.

When I first checked-in I was assigned to the Line Division as their supervisor. After workups for our 1st deployment, I was reassigned to the aircraft check crew, where we performed periodic maintenance on squadron aircraft. I would remain in that assignment for the rest on my sea duty with VF-151.

Name:	4 VF-151 Line Div Super - 1970 - 1971.jpg
Size:	203.1 KB
ID:	61364 Click image for larger version

Name:	4a VF-151 Check Crew super 1971 - 1973.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	61365

Name:	4b VF-151 Check-bird taken from  01 level shop.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	61366 Click image for larger version

Name:	4c off a bow cat .jpg
Size:	164.9 KB
ID:	61367

Name:	4d USS Midway 1971 (6).jpg
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	61368 Click image for larger version

Name:	4e USS Midway 1972 .jpg
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	61369

Name:	4f USSR  Bear interception .jpg
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	61370 Click image for larger version

Name:	4g chaff door open  .jpg
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	61371
Old 03-14-2022, 06:28 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Thanks for sharing your story.
Nicely told. I could 'hear' your voice.
Great photos on top of that.

I am the son of an RCAF pilot. Your frequent postings remind me of my Father's early career. Lots of moves!
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2022, 09:32 AM   #9

Naval Air Station Lemoore, CA

During the end of my tour of duty with VF-151 (1973) our Air Wing was selected for forward deployment with the USS Midway. The home port would be Yokosuka, Japan. I still had four months of sea duty to complete and did not want it to be in Japan. I started searching for someone to swap duty with me. A long time friend had a girl friend in Japan. He decided to give-up his shore tour and swap with me. Because we were of equal rate and ratings the swap was approved and I would be detailed to shore duty early. A few years later my friend got permission to marry his girl friend and I visited them at their home at San Diego when he was assigned to shore duty.

My saga of being assigned to squadrons with different aircraft continued. My shore duty was going to be with Attack Squadron 125 located at NAS Lemoore, CA (A7-A Aircraft). That’s out in the middle of the San Joaquin Valley in central CA. We got a new, never been lived in, 3 bedroom 2 bath duplex on base at NAS Lemoore. The base had a primary school to 8th grade where our two boys would graduate into high schools.

I had requested an advanced course of formal training in my chosen navy rating (AMH). It was located at Millington, TN. Once I got my family settled at NAS Lemoore I preceded to TN for the four a month course of formal training. It would be very useful in my quest to be advanced to CPO. (A little background info: I got out of the Navy in 1960 and reentered as an E-3 in 1963. Five years and three months later I was advanced to E-6. All of the services were in build-up mode for Vietnam. By the time I was eligible for E-7 (1971) all ratings were top heavy and the draw down would take another 4-5 years. For me, I could get a score of 100 on the advancement test and still be 30 points short of advancement. I ended up being an E-6 for 7 years).

When I actually reported to VA-125 I was more than just qualified for a supervisory position in the maintenance department, except, I was almost the junior AMH1 in the squadron. VA-125 was a pilot and enlisted maintenance training squadron. The SCPO in the training department got me assigned there as a department supervisor. I would remain there until I transferred to sea duty (4 years). My previous experience and training on the A7 aircraft made me a prime candidate for the training department. I was given the responsibility to rewrite the training syllabus for the Plane Captain training program and to write a training syllabus for the newly established non rated non designated junior enlisted personnel reporting to the squadron for duty. I requested a formal Navy Instructor course of training conducted at the Marine Corp Recruit Depot (MCRD), San Diego, CA. When I completed that training I became a certified Naval Instructor, NEC-9501.

For some reason unknown to me, I became popular with the squadron skippers. Maybe it was because I gave a once a month hour long leadership lecture in the squadron ready room for junior officers. Anyhow, the skipper was always joking with me and even gave me some awards that gave me extra advancement points which were probably very helpful for my advancement to CPO (E7) in 1975.

Name:	5 VA-125 .png
Size:	339.4 KB
ID:	61519 Click image for larger version

Name:	5a NAS Lemoore home .jpg
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	61520

Name:	5b VA-125 aircraft on display - USS Midway .jpg
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	61521 Click image for larger version

Name:	5c VA-125  - 1973 .jpg
Size:	277.2 KB
ID:	61522

Name:	5d VA-125 personal award .jpg
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	61523 Click image for larger version

Name:	5e I made Chief - 1975.JPG
Size:	135.6 KB
ID:	61524
Old 04-03-2022, 08:17 AM   #10

Naval Air Station Oceana – Virginia Beach, VA

After a rewarding tour of shore duty in CA, my detailer gave me two choices for sea duty. One was at the Aviation Maintenance Department at the Naval Air Facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cube. The other was with Fighter Squadron 41 in VA. I just couldn’t isolate my two teenage sons in Cuba, so it was off to VF-41. I had previously served a sea tour with VF-41 when they were flying the Phantom II aircraft. They had just completed a transition process to the F-14 Tomcat aircraft. They were assigned to Carrier Air Wing Eight and operating off the USS Nimitz (CVBN-68).

After a one month course of aircraft familiarization for the Tomcat I reported to the squadron (early 1976) and was assigned to the maintenance department as a maintenance control supervisor. I worked there until I was qualified to sign aircraft safe for flight. Then I was assigned to flight deck duty as the squadron flight deck maintenance coordinator. My wrench turning days were forever in the past. I was advanced to SCPO in 1978 and was immediately extra baggage. I was reassigned to the squadron line division as division SCPO. When one of our aircraft hit the round-down during flight recovery operations it ended up at the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean somewhere off the coast of NC. Both crew members safely ejected with one of them landing on the flight deck. The aircraft was carrying the newest air to air interceptor missile known as the Phoenix. It was in very deep water but still had to be recovered for security reasons. Because I was working on the flight deck and observed the crash and the missile separating from the aircraft I was required to write a report from my point of view. My draft was sent to the air wing commander. Shortly after he read the report he sent for me to listen to my verbal response. He had just found out that his new maintenance CPOs had never served on aircraft carriers. He drafted me (temporary additional duty) into the wing as the air wing flight deck control maintenance chief. I would work there until I transferred to shore duty in 1980. There was some confusion in the air wing maintenance department as my boss was the air wing maintenance office and he was LCDR Roberts. So, they decided to call me Fast Eagle, the call sigh for VF-41.

Memorable occasions while working for CVW-8. 1: Managing the aircraft for the movie “The Final Count Down". 2: The trip from Naples, IT, out into the Atlantic, then around Africa to a station in the India Ocean. That was because, at the time, Egypt would not allow Nukes to transit the Suez Canal. 3: Hosting the helicopters (H-53s) that were staging on the Nimitz for a hostage's rescuer mission into Iran.

Name:	6 VF-41 1977.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	61850 Click image for larger version

Name:	6a VF-41 cat shot Nimitz .jpg
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	61851

Name:	6B nimitz and GAG8 .jpg
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	61852 Click image for larger version

Name:	6c USS Nimitz sea trials.jpg
Size:	215.2 KB
ID:	61853

Name:	6d CVW-8.jpg
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	61854 Click image for larger version

Name:	6e Tomcats VF-84 the Final-Countdown 1979 .jpg
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	61855

Name:	6f H-53 goind down to HGR bay 3 1980 .jpg
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	61856 Click image for larger version

Name:	6g USS Nimitz - Arabian Sea 1980  .jpg
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	61857
Old 04-03-2022, 08:45 AM   #11

The Black Aces – VF-41

This is just a short pictorial story. In 1977 while working as a VF-41 flight deck maintenance coordinator I decided to take my 35mm camera and shoot a series of pictures of a squadron aircraft launching from the Nimitz. The in flight picture was taken by LCDR Lindner. He was our flying shutter bug.

Name:	1 - Scanned 10-21-15 (6).jpg
Size:	242.5 KB
ID:	61866 Click image for larger version

Name:	2 - Scanned 10-21-15 (8).jpg
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	61867

Name:	3 - Scanned 10-21-15 (12).jpg
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	61868 Click image for larger version

Name:	4 - Scanned 10-21-15 (7).jpg
Size:	113.3 KB
ID:	61869

Name:	5 - Scanned 10-21-15 (13).jpg
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	61870 Click image for larger version

Name:	6 - Scanned 10-21-15 (9).jpg
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	61871

Name:	7 ACES - 107 .jpg
Size:	399.3 KB
ID:	61872 Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_20190223.jpg
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	61873
Old 04-22-2022, 11:42 PM   #12

Indian Ocean 1980

This is a story of military air transportation. Early in 1980 I was working as a USS Nimitz flight deck control chief for GAG-8. Because our immediate priority mission was to assist the rescue operations for hostages held in Iran, high priority jobs such as mine; were not going to be able to transfer to other duties until the rescue mission was completed. From out of the blue, I got priority 2 orders to report to the staff of the Commander in Chief of the US Atlantic Fleet at Norfolk, VA (“Not Later Than”). No one was going to ask a 4 star admiral for an extension of my duties on the Nimitz. I had an 80 hour stop for training as a manpower analyst and less than 30 days to get there. The Nimitz was too far away from Diego Garcia (an atoll in the Indian Ocean) for aerial mail delivery.

The long arduous trip to Norfolk, VA began on the USS Nimitz. A few days after getting my orders the Nimitz was scheduled for refueling and supplies from The USS Roanoke (Aor-7). After resupplying the Nimitz the Roanoke was going to Diego Garcia and I could ride on it. To get aboard I took a ride in one of their H-46 helos. The trip to Diego Garcia took 7 days and it was very relaxing. As an E8 I got a state room in CPO country with a short walk to the CPO mess. The Roanoke’s command SCPO told me to just stay in my quarters during scheduled drills and transit SCPOs were not required to have any shipboard duties. I chilled for 7 days.

There were no quarters for me at Diego Garcia and the Roanoke CO (an aviator) allowed me to stay aboard until I could get a flight out of DG. With luck and Pri2 orders I got a USAF C-141 to Clark AFB in the Philippines the next day. Upon arrival at Clark I was told at the USN counter it would be at least a week before anything was heading to the USA. They had RV trailers set-up as quarters for in transit CPOs. I said thanks and walked over to the USAF desk, showed them my orders. They had a charter flight (Dependents/Military DC-8) leaving for Japan the next morning and were sure they could get me on it. It was a long flight with stops at Okinawa and Tokyo for fuel, supplies and passenger departures and new arrivals. From Tokyo our next stop was Anchorage, AK where we would get our USA customs inspections. Our final destination was Travis AFB in CA where I would take a two day rest and get on a clean uniform. I would have stayed a few days longer but found that a USN DC-9 was taking some VIPs to Andrews AFB at DC. The VIPs were mostly 05 & 06 staff officers and all wanted to know how I was able to get a “hop” on “their aircraft”. After seeing my orders they left me alone. At Andrews I didn’t know how I was going to get to Norfolk. So’ I went to see a military dispatcher. He told me there was an H-53 “milk run” flight directly to the CINCLANTFLT headquarters every other day and could get me on it in the morning. I called my wife and asked her to come and pick me up at the CINC compound around noon time. I told her to just watch for a huge helo, I’d be on it.

I enjoyed the three year tour and all the people I worked with. We traveled in 3-6 person teams. My function was to work with intermediate aviation departments at all CINCLANTFLT locations. Each team had a 04/05, GS-9/GS-11 and a SCPO/MCPO. We traveled in a mode commensurate with the location of the field trips.

These are file photos of the transportation I used for the long trip.

Name:	7 USS_ROANOKE_(AOR-7)_underway_off_the_coast_of_Guantanamo_Bay,_Cuba.JPEG[1][1].jpeg
Size:	310.3 KB
ID:	62380 Click image for larger version

Name:	7a vert rep .jpg
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	62381

Name:	7b DG- C-141 .jpg
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	62382 Click image for larger version

Name:	7c DG Tiger Flight .jpg
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	62383

Name:	7d Travis - Andrews VIP Flight  .jpg
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	62384 Click image for larger version

Name:	7e Andrews to CINC .jpg
Size:	231.7 KB
ID:	62385
Old 10-08-2022, 07:29 PM   #13

The Clansmen VA-46

My transfer from CINCLANTFLT was to VA-46 at Naval Air Station Cecil Field, FL.

In 1983 I was going to an A7 Squadron for sea duty. It was nearly 17 years after being factory trained on the A7 aircraft and two tours in A7 training squadrons. It was a fitting end for my career because I intended to retire at the end of my 3-year commitment with VA-46.

Here I have to back-track a bit. While working at the very high-pressure assignment with CAG-8 aboard the Nimitz, I developed high blood pressure. It was controlled with medications but was damaging my heart arteries. It would be very unlikely for me to be advanced to Master Chief.

When I arrived at VA-46 I was a very senior SCPO. They had a SCPO working the maintenance control night shift and a CPO working as command chief and I didn’t want to replace either one of them, so I was assigned as the aircraft division SCPO.

On a detachment to Fallon, NV for ordnance training. The Master Chief who was the maintenance chief took a hardship transfer because his wife was in critical condition. I moved from the aircraft division to maintenance control as the squadron maintenance chief. It would end my career. After a year and a half in that position my heart/artery conditions had deteriorated to the point that I got relieved from duty by the squadron flight surgeon after some testing. I was sent to the Naval Hospital at NAS Jacksonville, FL for more testing. Their cardiology team were going to force me to retire on medical condition immediately. I requested a medical board. I was sent to Bethesda for further testing. Their recommendations were the same. My formal board was at Naval Station Great Lakes, IL. I requested a Naval Attorney to assist in my presentation for assignment to full duty. At the board their overwhelming reason for retiring me was the nonavailability of medications that my condition required. I asked my lawyer for a private discussion on that matter. I told her that the medications in question were available to me on the USS Nimitz, so they should be available on other aircraft carriers. The board ordered me to one year of limited duty. I was detached from VA-46 and sent to Commanded Light Attack Wing 1 at NAS Cecil Field where I worked as their manpower managed for sea duty squadrons. Early in 1986 I was placed on full duty.

The maintenance officer from VFA-132 (F/A-18 aircraft) came and interviewed me for the maintenance chief position at VFA-132. Early in 1988 I retired from the Navy at the CPO club at NAS Cecil Field and placed on the permanent disability list. I didn’t expect to live to 50 and here I am more than a dozen medical interventions later at 83 and chest pain free.

Name:	1 NAS JAX - A7E.JPG
Size:	273.2 KB
ID:	65201 Click image for larger version

Name:	2 VFA-132-Privateers-018[1].jpg
Size:	290.4 KB
ID:	65202

Name:	3VA-46 Maint Chief  1984-85.jpg